“Beautiful Hotel with weak service”

Country Club Lima Hotel
Ranked #10 of 228 Hotels in Lima
New York
“Beautiful Hotel with weak service”
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We had booked our wedding reception at this hotel last week, and upon arrival we were impressed. However, given the $200+ a night per room rate in Lima, where we could get a hostel for S/. 20, one would expect such premium architecture and service. We had arrived a couple hours early, and had asked if we can leave our bags until we checked in later. The front desked informed us that since the rooms were available we could take our stuff up then, which was nice, but not necessary. However, we had booked an additional room for my wife's parents, with early 2pm check in, which was not ready unti 5pm that night. This caused a lot of problems, since I spoke no spanish and my father in law no english, who arrived at 4pm and still had no room, and then left because of it and put all the plans for the evening ary. There was no compensation for this, which was ridiculous, since we had 6 rooms booked there, 3 for 3 nights, 3 for 2 nights, an 80 person reception and coctail hour, and dinner at their perroquet restaurant.

This hotel is ideal for business meetings, and not for people looking for a relaxing stay and being fully service. Staff is very cold, except for the Concierge, who was very nice, spoke english, and helped us out with the cabs on the wedding day. Since the Limo that the hotel recommended and we booked at an outragious price of $550 did not show up on time, forcing my Bride to take a cab to the church and delaying the wedding.

On the otherhand, the service at the reception was great. Everyone was greeted well and the waiters were constantly around to serve each guest.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Truely a five star hotel at a four star price. This is a beautiful hotel with wonderful service!
We stayed there while attending a wedding in Lima. There were many wedding guests there and all were happy.
Would love to go back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kay P
Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2008

I went for a business matter and my corporate travel agency placed me and my team in this hotel. I had no idea or even heard about it before.

The surroundings right before arriving were not to be called as friendly or touristic as you would ever imagine. But, when we arrived, we realized the place looked great, is sitting right next to a sporting country club and seconds away from a golf course.

We were received with a complimentary glass of mimosa while waiting to be registered (that felt good after a long flight).

My room was of an excellent size, the bathroom was big with all kinds of toiletries, a "rain" shower-head with excellent pressure and a huge whirlpool tub with massage nozzles. My view in particular was to the internal "patio" from a second floor level and while some people might think is not a great view, it was nice and quiet. Since the weather was nice, I was able to open the huge double french doors and enjoy the breeze while checking my emails.

The food at the restaurant was so good that even the pickiest enjoyed the taste. We ordered everything on their menu through our stay and I can say that nothing was to complain about (try any seafood dish and the Pisco Sour drink is a "must").

Breakfast at the hotel's restaurant was good but very typical at the same time. But, it has a Starbucks on the side of their building (not accessible from the lobby) for those whom like to enjoy their coffee.

The Country Club Lima hotel gives you the feeling you are in an old, Spanish style city hall with it's above average decorations and surroundings.

I would definitely look forward another visit...

• Liked — Decoration, Room Space, Bathroom Space & Food
  • Disliked — Window View
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank FlowMaster
SF
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Stayed here for one night on arrival from US in the early morning before leaving the next morning on a flight to Cuzco. I had stayed here previously for a few days several years ago on my first trip to Lima on business and had good memories, but was disappointed this time with the hotel, especially compared to alternatives now avaiiable in Lima.

PROS:

1) very beautiful exerior and elegant lobby area, exuding colonial charm, and antique furnishings in the rooms. large spacious bathrooms.

2) located in San Ysidro by a golf course, so it's a safe area and fairly uncrowded neighborhood by Lima standards

3) by booking on their website, you can get a very good rate here (one that didnt show up on the third party hotel websites). If you are arriving from the US on an early morning flight, you can guarantee an early check-in by paying 50% of your room rate which enables you to occupy your room from 7 am on. We arrived on the 4 am AA flight from Miami, and after travelling all night, it was nice to have a bed and shower before going out and seeing the sights of Lima.

4) There is a Starbucks on the side of the hotel that stays open late and has unrestricted internet access!

5) Across the street is Los Delfines Hotel (where I have also stayed) and they have a small casino, if you want to spend some time playing the slots.

CONS

1) While San Ysidro is nice, there is not much to do in the area. If you are a business person, many business are located in the area; but if you're a tourist, the frequently visited Miraflores and Barranco are not walking distance, and there arent alot of restaurants in the area.

2) There isn't much common area space or spacious grounds other than the lobby and the terrace that overlooks a lawn that seems to have a tent for exhibition space but no seating areas.

3) The gym is tiny (a couple machines), and the pool isnt much more than a childs wading pool, so don't be fooled by their listing of such as an amenity.

4) Though I stayed here on business and received a spacious room in the past, this time (perhaps its because I got an inexpensive rate) I was given Rm 366 - a very nice room with a large bathroom but with a translucent window that did not open. Apparently the room would have looked right at some ducting from the restaurant. Since it was cool and in July, this was not an issue, but I think this would have been awful in the summer. There was also a slight hum of ventilation from the restaurant. Since we were only there one night (and we got a low rate of around $195 a night), I didn't try to move, but I would have not wanted this for a longer stay in Lima.

5) I was somewhat disappointed with the level of service upon check-in. Perhaps it was the time of arrival but the staff seemed a little disorganized and were not particular warm or welcoming. And then, they forgot to give the bellhop showing us to our room the keys. So he had to go back and get them while we waited in the hall!

Overall, I would probably not stay here again. If I had a reason to be in San Ysidro, and was here on business, I would choose the Los Delfines across the street, which is a modern and bland standard high rise hotel 3. I t has free wifi in the rooms, a well equipped gym/sauna/hot tub, etc. It also has a small conference room with internet computer and a business center. It has dolphns in a tank you can watch a la Sea World while you are eating in the cafe (okay, for some this may be a minus). There is also a spanking hotel that abuts the Country Club, I believe it is the Libretador). There are also new hotels in the heart of the business district of San Ysidro.

On the return visit, I stayed at the Miraflores Park Hotel in Lima, which from a tourist perspective is a much better hotel and ocean view location to be at (though more expensive than the Country Club). It has the same colonial feel and boutique environment as the Country Club in the lobby area, but has much nicer amenities.

• Liked — The architecture and furnishins
  • Disliked — lack of amenities
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CT94010
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2008

I booked directly with the hotel, after having a lot of difficulty booking with another hotel. In this first instance their service was very efficient.
The Hotel is very impressive from the start, with a sweeping in driveway and and old world colonial air about it. This hotel has some character, unlike other global chain establishments. Our room was very good, with a small balcony, very large accomodation and a fantastic bathroom. This was a 'Gran Classe' room and is one of the largest hotel rooms I've seen.
Some reviewers have said the rooms are tired - they should be aware that a lot of the paintings and ornaments are actually genuine antiques! After a long day in the humid city, the high pressure waterfall shower was a fantastic treat!
Service level is great and unobtrusive, with a cosy bar that is so dimly lit you may want to take a torch (LOL).
Breakfasts are good in a buffet style, nice selections of juices etc, with an outside terrace if you like to look at the Lima fog. We did not try the supper here. There are taxis available outside that are affiliated to the hotel and can be very expensive. They charged me $20 to go to the Shopping Mall, and my return local taxi was $6. Left of the hotel opposite Starbucks is a regular taxi rank that can save you $$$!
All in all this Lima hotel was very pleasant, with good service, clean environment and also a good location right opposite the golf course.

• Liked — Grand old colonial atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Overpriced hotel taxis.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank FrankyJ
Singapore
Reviewed March 7, 2008

if having your spare toilet paper presented wrapped in tissue paper with a bow of silk around it isnt too over the top for you, then this is the hotel for you!
a beautiful building,
giant rooms,
giant bathroom - and huge spa bath,
excellent breakfast,
beautiful breakfast terrace,
king size bed.
now the bad stuff:
tired decor
old and worn linen
some lights not working in our room (but there were lots of lights)!
tiny "grounds" and pool area
but still on balance a very nice old fashioned luxury hotel

• Liked — main building, decor, general feel of the hotel
  • Disliked — somewhat tired decor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank gregandcath
Claverdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2008

We stayed here for 1 night and 1 day room as part of a tour organised by Celebrity Xpedition to Machu Picchu.

The hotel, room, staff, food, ambiance, everything are first class. When we first entered the hotel to be greeted with cold towels and a glass of champagne to when we left was totally right.

We could fault nothing!

Even the extras are good value.

We would go back anytime.

Fabulous.

• Liked — The total package is wonderful
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008