“A CHARMING STEP BACK IN TIME IN AN EXCELLENT LOCATION.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Antigua Miraflores Hotel

Antigua Miraflores Hotel
Ranked #35 of 226 Hotels in Lima
Las Cruces
“A CHARMING STEP BACK IN TIME IN AN EXCELLENT LOCATION.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

The airport pickup was useful & convenient. We were pleasantly surprised with the hotel's older, classic appearance. Our room was spacious. The service was good. The staff spoke English.. We mentioned a Sunday morning city tour upon our arrival Saturday afternoon, the receptionist came over showed us the available tour literature and immediately made the reservation.
Hotel is a quiet residential neighborhood. The location is excellent; close (walking distances) to many attractions & good restaurants. The breakfast was good with 6 served options. We were there 3 nights, so we had something different for breakfast every day.
The problem we had was minor & transitory: some people were drinking on the balcony above our room one night; making noise by moving chairs around. I mentioned it to the hotel staff the next evening They told me two things: one, they cannot hear the noise where they are; if it reoccurs call them; two, we could change rooms if we desired. It did not reoccur.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2010

We all read the comments by other travellers in Tripadvisor and that assists us in making selections. We travel frequently and prefer to stay in interesting hotels not run by the major chain management companies.

Last December, while planning our trip to Peru, we came across the Antigua Miraflores hotel. The reviews were very complementory so we booked what they describe as a Colonial room for 3 evenings.

We arrived very late and they arranged our pickup at the airport. We were escorted to our room which was on the first floor, adjacent ot the small courtyard. We could see that they were doing some renovations on the adjoing room. The room was small, dated and tile falling off the bathroom wall. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. There is no A/C so you must leave the window and drapes open. Our surprise was that at 0730 hammers on concrete in the adjoining room began! We also found that you had to close your drapes at all times as many of the rooms across the courtyard gazed directly into ours. Not much privacy!

We were ready for breakfast so we got up, went to have breakfast (mediocre), and then went for a walk around Miraflores. My wife was not feeling well so we returned to the room. The pounding continued all day so we requested another room. The front desk desk was wonderful for our entire stay and gave us the only other room they had available, so they said. It was on the top floor and on the front of the building. The noisiest room we have ever had. Also, it was kinda dingy and the carpet was rolling on the floor. We decided to just deal with it as it was only for another evening.

When we checked out, we found that the inivoice indicated a Traditional room which is supposedly a lower quality accomodation. We had requested the Colonial room, the next step up!. We made the rewservation last December so we should have received the room quality we requested. There was a large tour group staying at the hotel and we can only surmise that they were given preference, and our room!

We were delighted to check out!

The hotel is lovely with beautiful common areas and the staff is first rate. We thought it was in a great location, close to the the shore and walking distance to Lancomar, the seaside shopping mall. The two rooms we had were not comfortable, not well appointed and noisy.

There are too many lovely places to stay at when travelling so after our experience at this hotel, we cannot recommend it in good conscience. Be careful if you decide to make a reservation at this property.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GoneTropo
durango,CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

Four of us stayed here for the last 2 days of our 3-week Peru vacation. It was warm and a bit stuffy in our first room, although there was a window that opened to the courtyard, and the air conditioning didn't work. So we switched to another room; the bellboy moved us and was very helpful in that regard. And the front desk staff was very helpful, as well. A definite bonus was the availability of two free internet stations that we were able to use several times. Breakfasts were much better and more substantial than any other place we stayed, as the breakfast included option we encountered other places was usually pretty skimpy. My only complaint was the overwhelmingly strong smell of flowering shrubs, perhaps jasmine. One night it was so totally pervasive that it made me a bit nauseated. It was hard to tell if it was an all natural smell or they were using spray scent, but it was strong. And I disagree with the post expressing concern about the safety of the neighborhood---it felt quite safe to all of us, and 3 of the 4 who stayed are women over 60.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

My husband & I stayed here two nights on our recent trip to Peru. This hotel is not in such a great location in my opinion. The bell boys were very helpful to catch a cab for us, but I wasn't real comfortable to go walking around the neighborhood. Everyone is different I realize with what they are & are not comfortable with, but the neighborhood to me didn't "feel" real safe.

The room we stayed in was spacious, but very stuffy! Luckily there was a ceiling fan & that did help.

I guess overall the hotel was okay. The bell boys I thought were great, the front desk staff was "okay," as far was being helpful. I personally would not choose to stay here again, but it wasn't a terrible experience by any means either. The hotel does have some nice charm to it, I just mainly wasn't impressed by the rooms or the neighborhood. The furnishings are nice, & the did have 2 computers the guests were able to use. They said they had wifi too, but we not able to get a signal for some reason.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rachelj5
Sandpoint, ID
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2010

I stayed here after reviewing hotels for hours online and was not disappointed at all. My room was small but what I expected for the price. What I didn't expect for the price was the hospitality of the staff and the great Peruvian type breakfast. I have to say, the girls at the front desk were all so Peruvian beautiful ;-) Waking up in the morning smelling the flowers in the center of the hotel was very cool, even for a guy...

Anyway, you won't find your touristy beaches nearby or high priced food and drink. What you will find is many small resteraunts nearby serving great civeche, beef heart on a stick (can't rememebr what it is called) and much more, even a McDonalds. There is a great mall nearby and many parks with benches that are truely tranquil. It was cool to sit, eat a lunch or dinner at a park and watch the locals go about their days.

I hired a taxi driver named Jose Casinova 2 of the days I stayed to drive me around Lima and show me the "Real" Lima. He charged about $8 or so US an hour and it was money well spent. We went to downtown, the Cathedral, a beach, some active ruins and a few other places all while going to places he would go to eat as a local. He even took me by where he lives. It was phenominal. We still email to this day...

Lima/Miraflores is not a quiet place, people start honking horns 3-4 blocks from a light when it turns green. Reminded me of Chicago. Construction is also non ending during the day but at 5 PM it seems to all stop and does get quiet, even at the hotel.

All in all, it was an awesome trip and the hotel was perfect for me as as solo traveler. If I were to visit again I wouldn't even search for another hotel, this would be the one.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank rparsons1000
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here -- a great kickoff to a Peru vacation. Located on a quiet street in the popular Miraflores area, it was very easy to catch a cab out front or at the corner. Small but charming room overlooking a beautiful courtyard.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2009

Stayed here 3 nights overall.
First night was great - good nights sleep
Second night (a week later) woke to 3 leaks through the ceiling of the room. Thankfully not on the bed so no major panic but the staff didn't seem to care when I brought it to their attention.
This morning (7.30) when I had planned sleeping on, I was woken to the room vibrating to the sound of hammers and drilling. Really pissed off which is why i'n writing this.
Good hotel in a safe neighbourhood in Lima but apart from the great coffee, I personally have not had a good experience at this hotel

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple