“Something like staying in a museum...”

Antigua Miraflores Hotel
Ranked #35 of 234 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I found the Antigua Miraflores to be a really different place to stay. I was there for nearly a week in total. It is quirky and very charming, decorated with lots of antiques, some of which have been converted to use as objects such as lamps. One great feature of this hotel is the range of comfortable salons or lounges which make it a great place for catching up with fellow travelers. This rooms of this hotel do tend to be noisy at much of the time, either from the courtyard fountain, water heater or just general maintenance activities. Very good room sizes. Hot water supply was generally only barely hot enough most of the time (experienced in two different rooms). The staff were great and always very helpful. Decent breakfast area at the back of the hotel. The location is within walking distance of most attractions around Miraflores. Personally, I really enjoyed the place, but a number of my fellow travelers hated it. I found the pluses far outweighed the minuses. This hotel isn't for everyone - if you want an efficient modern concrete and steel motel, rather than a cultural experience, the Antigua Miraflores probably isn't for you.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the water heater pump, it is horrendously noisy most of the day.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Westralia

Reviewed June 27, 2013

On first site, this hotel looks like a home, but get inside, and it sprawls forever. Our room is what you'd describe as "so small I had to go outside to change my mind." The bathroom was good size and the bed was comfortable, since we were only in the room a short part of two days, it was okay.

Breakfast was just okay with eggs and other American fare available on the menu.

We were in walking distance of JFK park and plenty of shopping, banks, etc, and the ocean was a little further hike in another direction.

There is a small bookcase with books you can take or exchange. Wifi worked well, but was not available after 9 p.m. there is a computer in the lobby. The door keys are huge, and you leave them at the desk each time you go out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grip652
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was a really nice hotel. When we first checked in we were taken to our room which had two beds. I asked if they had a room with one bed, they quickly moved us to a different room. The room was small but comfortable and the bathroom was the best we had in the country. The breakfast was good but it took a few minutes for any staff to come into the dining room and take our order. The location is great and the staff was great about giving us a map and showing us how to get to the main area. All in all it was a very nice place and I wish we'd had more time there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Two of us four sisters traveling around Peru for 3 weeks finished up our trip in Lima for 3 nights. This hotel is very well located, excellent staff and interesting ambience in the common areas. We had to change rooms immediately on check-in as the 4th floor room we were given was adjacent to an area being remodeled with strong odor of new plaster. But the staff moved us without problem & we had a room with newly done bathroom overlooking the courtyard & fountain. The breakfast is very good with choice of entrees cooked to order. Hotel staff gave us good recommendations for nearby restaurants, directions, tips on taxi fares to various areas of the city etc. Hotel is a very good value for the price and I would stay here again without reservation.
Lima gets a bad reputation on many of the blogs. We found excellent shopping, great restaurants and the Plaza de Armas is very interesting. We never felt threatened or ill at ease. Taxis are very cheap though the traffic is just about the worst I have seen anywhere. Allow plenty of time to get from your hotel to the airport!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Patty6-13
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights prior to beginning our G Adventures tour (the Lares Trail). The extra night was based on our flight availability, not necessarily a desire to explore Lima. That having been said I want to make it clear that this hotel was terrific.

The staff was very nice and when there was a problem with our reservation for the second night (G Adventures' mistake, not the hotel's) they were kind and helpful.

The whole place had a retro vibe that was at once funky and classy.

What I truly appreciate, and the real reason for the five stars instead of four, is that they provided water. There were water coolers at the end of every hallway, and even pitchers of water in the rooms. I've traveled many times to Latin America and, okay, maybe I'm spoiled, but I always find task of finding and buying water to be burdensome. I always go for a lot of long distance runs while on vacation, and I'm a big guy who drinks a lot of water to begin with - so hats off to this hotel for providing water!

BTW - the neighborhood is great and seemed relatively safe. Yes, it is really noisy - I think the entire city is - and there are car alarms going off constantly. There was even a little earthquake while we were there.

The ocean front is just a couple of blocks from the hotel and there is a six mile long series of parks great for jogging or walking. Quite fun.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank exmagician
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed for three nights in June. Our room was very large, on the first floor, with windows overlooking a courtyard with a fountain. The room was nice although a little bit Spartan in decoration, but it did appear that the bathroom had been newly renovated. The bathroom had a very nice bathtub in it. The breakfast is pretty good, but you need to order it (included in the room price) from a menu for anything other than bread, juice and coffee laid out on the buffet. When checking out, I tried to pay by credit card but the phone lines were always busy so I ended up paying the bill in cash (good thing I had enough cash), as it was early in the morning and a taxi was waiting to take us to the airport.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Azouma
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just a sleepover on our way back from the Inca Trail, but enjoyed the ambience of the lobby and sitting areas. Requested a change in room when (one more time!), we were given a double bed in a broom closet. But the Front Desk cheerily gave us a nicer room with a Queen size on the fourth floor at no extra charge. We would definitely stay here if we ever return to Lima.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends