“Quick stay for delayed flight”

Ranked #38 of 226 Hotels in Lima
Tallahassee, Florida
“Quick stay for delayed flight”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our plane got delayed because of weather etc etc so we were taken here for the night.
A plane load of people made the check in crazy but it was a very nice hotel and the staff and beds were comfortable. It was very far from the airport.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
wilmaria, Director of Guest Services and Public Relations at Sheraton Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review about your experience during last stay with us.

We really appreciate your comments about our facilities and personnel attention. Your opinión is very important to us, in order to know the preferences of our guests and improve our service provided.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a near future in order to offer you a great service as you deserve.

Sheraton Lima Hotel & Convention Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Our positive review on the Sheraton lima is possibly influenced by the fact that a) we booked it on frequent sleeper points from the Starwood SPG program, so it was for us very cost effective, AND b) we were upgraded to club level so we got a nice room on the 17th floor with free wifi, and access to the club lounge on the 18th floor which includes a pretty decent breakfast.

Service levels experienced where very good. Contrary to what was stated in some reviews the check in was very fast, also thanks to the fact that the paperwork had largely been done beforehand. Also we had booked airport pickup which was executed flawlessly with a standard of car and driving far beyond the norm in Lima (also at a price far above the norm, but still bareable at 38 US dollars or 100 Nuevo Soles).

The club lounge looks rather dated but the breakfast was outstandingly good and the service impeccable. Quite good quality coffee as well. The nibbles in the evening are so-so and the only free alcoholic drink is a champenoise which however fortunately was quite dry.

Wifi performance was good. The computers downstairs in the lobby were very useful for checking in and printing boarding cards.

Our room was quite like the many pictures on TripAdvisor, everything in working order and very good beds as expected from a Sheraton. The only thing missing were coffee facilities, not even instant, but we did get vouchers for free coffee and tea in all the restaurants and also for welcome drinks, which we had in the rather atmospheric, though very cold bar.

The shuttle service to Miraflores was very welcome. Other attractions are in the neighbourhood such as the fountains and the old city centre. We took a taxi to Museo Larco for a mere 5 Soles.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
wilmaria, Director of Guest Services and Public Relations at Sheraton Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such positive review about your last stay with us.

We really appreciate your comments about our facilities. Your opinión is very important to us, in order to know the preferences of our guests and improve our service provided.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Excellent location in Centro Historico, within walking distance to all the tourist attractions. Hence, it is a good base for the avid tourist to explore Plaza Mayor (Plaza de Armas), Plaza San Martin, churches, colonial architecture, the presidential palace, congress, and shopping streets.

The exterior may look tired and shabby but the interiors are the exact opposite. Rooms are well maintained, and the beds are very comfortable. I was assigned a room on the Club Floor, hence easy access to the Club room.

The gym is fairly well equipped, and allows for a good workout.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
wilmaria, Director of Guest Services and Public Relations at Sheraton Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such positive review.
We really appreciate your comments about our facilities and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a near future in order to offer you a great service as you deserve.

Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is my second stay at the Sheraton Lima in the past six months. My first stay our bathroom was flooded and soaked my cloths and ruined my wallet. I don't feel that the hotel did enough to handle that situation, but the manager gave me his card and invited me back saying he would make sure to make up for it on our next visit. I booked a 8 night stay and was upgraded to a Junior Suite.

I cannot stress enough that you should avoid this hotel unless you are here for a night night stay. I have written several hotel reviews on Tripadvisor and always try to write something positive. I feel that you are bound to run into a problem or two and it is the service recovery that really makes or breaks your stay.

Problems:
1) This is a very busy hotel. The amount of time it takes to wait in line to talk with someone at the front desk is a minimum of 10 minutes. My check-in literally took almost 15 minutes. You will often see long lines at the front desk. I feel horrible for anyone who gets stuck behind a tour bus that has just unloaded or 10 flight attendants and pilots trying to check in.

2) You'll get stuck waiting at the elevator. Only 3 of 4 elevators are currently functional. On several day only 2 elevator were functional. This hotel has almost 20 levels... you do the math on how long it will take you to get to and from your room.

3) If you try to call someone at the front desk from your room... the wait is the same time as if you were waiting in line to check in. If you need housekeeping or room service you are put right through, anything else is a 10 minute wait.

4) I was charged for an extra person in the lounge for breakfast even though only myself and another guest ate there. I asked to see a signed bill which they could not provide.

5) There is no thermostat in the room. There is a knob with four settings. It can get freezing in the room if you leave air on at night. This is in the Jr Suite.

6) Do not make the green choice for free points. On a 9 night stay I had to make 3 phone calls to get only 80% of my SPG points posted. I confirmed on check out that I should be credited for 7 nights (the last night does not count).

7) Here is what drops you down from a two or three star review. A welcome amenity was given in our room. A very large bowl of fruit. This is very common if you are given a suite or a SPG Platinum guest. We slowly ate some of the fruit. On the third night my girlfriend became very very ill. Upon inspecting the fruit I noticed traces of mold. Then I noticed that the grapes were covered in mold! I quickly called down to speak to someone at the front desk and was put on hold for 15 minutes, after which the phone call was transferred to several different people. We ended up speaking to the food and beverage manager? Who asked about the situation and asked if we needed a doctor. About 45 minutes later we get a call that an ambulance was outside the hotel and I was asked if her condition had improved. It had not. We took the elevator down to the lobby to meet the paramedics... but guess what.... NO AMBULANCE WAS CALLED!

We had to wait another hour before they could get a doctor on site to check on her. I was upset. Who lies about calling an ambulance or doctor? A doctor shows up along with a grim faced manager (you will see in the background of the photos I post). They inspect the mold on the fruit and the doctor gave my girlfriend several shots. The following day we had to go to the hospital because she was suffering from dehydration from being sick all night.

We received an apology from the food and beverage manager and a free lunch. I understand that this hotel is 30+ years old and not in the best of locations in Lima, but I feel it is the service you provide to your guests. Beyond complaining having no thermostat in the room to set the temperature all of these problems could have been handled very easily if the employees knew about customer service and the managers at this hotel did their job. I am not asking for anything for compensation. I feel when you go to a hotel you should be able to check-in in a timely manner and get a quick response if a problem comes up. Lying about calling a doctor is just shaddy. I hope others take their business elsewhere. I've given 5 star reviews to hotels that cost $60 in third world counties... I'm not hard to please. I'm happy that Starwood has opened up a Four Points hotel in Miraflores so that I can keep my loyalty to the company and avoid this hotel.

Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Astroph
wilmaria, Director of Guest Services and Public Relations at Sheraton Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your stay with us. I deeply apologize for all the mentioned inconveniences and our management team will be sure to review any possible corrective measures to avoid situations like this in the future. The health & wellbeing of our guests is paramount in our daily operations and a top priority in our company.

While we have no record of this specific incident on file, we would appreciate it if you would please contact us and provide further details so we can review further. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and we hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks for handling.

Best Regards,

Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was a great place to stay and a nice shuttle service to take you to Miraflores.

The rooms were nice, beds were very comfortable and housekeeping was thorough in straightening our room. Note that everywhere in Lima seems to be noisy with cars honking horns all night long. No matter the room you will still hear it even 17 floors up. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Based on what we heard from other travelers that would be a tip anywhere in the heart of Lima.

We had a club level room which was well worth it as the breakfast in the morning was delightful and a lot to choose from including hot dishes like eggs, local Peruvian food, and pancakes. The cold selections were cereal, pastries, deli meats and cheeses, yogurt and varied juice selection. In the evening they had a superb happy hour buffet with great appetizers both cold and hot, a few desserts to choose from and free champagne. We often ate our big meal of the day out at around 3 and had a light snack upstairs.

The shuttle service to Miraflores as nice and allowed us to go twice during our stay. Most everything else was walking distance.

Only thing we had hoped for was to swim and did not realize the pool would be closed. A big deal when traveling with a 9 year old child. The staff just casually said sorry which surprised me because on other SPG stays we have often gotten some points to our account when a large amenity like that was not available. So note if you go in their off season to ask if the pool will be open.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ColoradoJojo
wilmaria, Director of Guest Services and Public Relations at Sheraton Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your review and we are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
Regarding your comment about that swimming pool was closed is because we are in winter time.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your familiy in a near future.

Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stay at SPG hotels on a regular basis and found the overall service at the Sheraton Hotel in Lima to be superior. The staff was attentive in every aspect of my stay and was easily able to converse in English as I do not speak Spanish. As other reviewers mentioned it was with in walking distance to many Lima sights and the rooms were well appointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
wilmaria, Director of Guest Services and Public Relations at Sheraton Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time. We are very glad to read your review and to know that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

New York
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here for a one night layover before heading to Cusco the next morning. The hotel itself and room were nice. It's an older property, but it looked like they had renovated the rooms recently. There was a large bathroom area with a separate sink, toilet with bidet, and vanity/table. Upon entering the room we were greeted with a fruit plate which was a nice surprise.

The hotel is also right next to what looked like a large shopping mall and was within walking distance to several government buildings. It seems like a good location if you're here on business, but not really somewhere I would choose to stay if I was coming for leisure.

The one criticism I do have was that checking in took a really long time - something like 30 minutes. While standing there I was also watching the desk agents and they both seemed extremely flustered and frustrated to the point where they were being borderline rude to the guests checking in.

Room Tip: High floor rooms have a great view over Lima and the government buildings close by.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James I
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and for your comments about your recent stay in our hotel.
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our facilities and regarding the check in please accept our apologies and be sure that corrective actions are being taken in order to avoid this situation.

I hope you can visit us soon.

Kind Regards,