“Great Hotel”

Ranked #38 of 228 Hotels in Lima
Orange County, CA
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Very nice hotel in the heart of a pretty and safe area of Lima. The hotel overlooks a park situated in an olive tree grove. The park and the area are safe for walking. There is a nearby ruin within walking distances and some very good restaurants. Restaurant at hotel is good and has a very good buffet breakfast that was included in my room rate. Small but nice rooftop pool area was very relaxing after a day of site seeing in downtown Lima, which is about a 25 minute taxi cab ride away. The hotel has cabs they can get you - they are always waiting, but you will pay more. Walk around the corner to main street and hail your own cab to get a lower fare. I would highly recommend this hotel as a relaxing and convenient place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
QAM-Olivar, Gerente at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Mr. Gaucho;

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Sonesta El Olivar Hotel with Tripadvisor visitors. As you have mentioned, we are surrounded by El Olivar Park, very relaxing and safe place to walk around. We are glad also that you were satisfied by our facilities and service, I will share your comments with all our staff.
I hope you can stay again with us and feel Sonesta El Olivar Hotel like your home in your next trips to Lima.

Best regards;

Gerardo Bordoli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Well located, comfortable, helpful staff, nice food. Recommend either for business or vacation trip.
The AC was a little noisy and I had some trouble with the hot water in the shower, which was promptly fixed by the staff.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor, there's a huge staircase that goes from the lobby straight to my r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Jose Roberto;

I woukl like to thank you for your preference and for sharing with Tripadvisor's visitors your experience at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar. I'am really sorry for unease you had with our A/C, our Maintenance Department is aware of this problem and they are working in order to avoid this inconvenience with other guests. We hope you can stay again with us and confirm the improovements we are making.

Gerardo Bordoli
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 5 times from late January through late February 2013. We found the hotel to be excellent. We took tours through various parts of Peru, and always returned to this hotel to regroup before heading out again. The rooms are excellent. The service is excellent. The food is wonderful. We often left clothes to be cleaned upon our return from a tour, which were returned to us perfectly clean at the time of our next visit. We very much enjoyed walking in the El Oliver Park which is right beside the hotel. I have only one complaint. I got mild stomach upset 3 times at this hotel. I suspect polluted water in the taps. My wife had no such problems. I always looked forward to returning to this hotel while on tour.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
QAM-Olivar, Gerente at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest;

We would like to thank you very much for your comments and for sharing them with Tripadvisor's visitors. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest and we are really glad to know that you had an excellent experience at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar. Regarding to the inconvinient with the water from the taps, I would like to comment that this water is drinkable but it depends on the organism of each person the reactions. We appreciate your preference and we hope we can assist you in your next trip to Lima and make you feel like home.

Kind regards;

Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The 6am wake-up call comes with the peal of church bells and the cooing of doves---a very gentle way greet the day, though a bit tough if you plan to sleep in. Located at one end of the beautiful, 500 year-old Parque Olivar, Hotel Sonesta is also within easy walking distance of the Miraflores cliff-top park along the coast and a 20 minute taxi ride (traffic willing) into the historic city centre. Our room was very small but adequate, with a large bathroom and comfortable bed. No electric jug---shock horror for tea addicts---but one was supplied immediately on request. Our room faced the park and therefore the road but we weren't bothered by traffic noise. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was great.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
QAM-Olivar, Gerente at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest;

We really appreciate the time you are taking to share your experiences about our facilities with tripadvisor visitors, it was a pleasure for us to assist you during your visit to Lima. As you mention, we are located in a residential area in front of Parque El Olivar, where our guests can enjoy running around it and also listening the cooing of doves and other birds. We are close to many different recognized restaurants in our districts and also nearby other important places of our city.
We hope you can visit us again or any other Sonesta Hotel around the world.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 9am, a bit early to check in, so they looked after our cases while we had coffee in the restaurant and then enjoyed the view from the roof terrace. We were given early check in at just after 11. Our room was comfortable and clean and had everythng we needed. We had room 516 which had a poor view. Although we were in Lima in May we had sunny weather so we particularly enjoyed the local park next to the hotel and the roof terrace where there is a phone you can use to order food and drinks. We had an excellent lunch on the roof terrace. The breakfast buffet had a wonderful choice of fresh fruits, breads and hot and cold dishes.The staff were always friendly and helpful.The bar had plenty of good areas to relax after a days sight seeing and served fantastic pisco sours.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for letting us know about your experience at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, we are really glad you enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately not all our rooms have a view to El Olivar Park, in case our guest request it depends on our disponibility but our staff is always looking for solve our guest's requirements. We appreciate your preference and we hope we can assist you in your next trip to Lima and make you feel like home.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was given one of the old rooms that face the street, the view is nice but windows are not sound proof, bed was too hard, room looked old for the price. Next room faced the back, no view but much nicer. Thanks to the staff, Cristian at the reception, the new room was much more comfortable, newer, bigger but stil the bed was a little to hard for me. Food was excellent even the daily lunch special. We needed a room for a meeting and the staff again helped with no problems. Location is also good. Gym was good at the top floor.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank viajeros321
QAM-Olivar, Gerente at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for letting us know about your experience at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar; it was a pleasure to assist you during your stay in Lima. Unfortunatelly, not all our rooms are redisigned yet, we still in a process that will continue this year. Be sure that we are taking note of your comments about the bed and sound proof windows. We are glad to know that you liked our restaurant menu and our staff service. We hope you can visit us again.

Kind regards;

Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to my company’s offices in Lima. Before booking I checked Frommers and Trip Advisor to make sure it would be acceptable. I must say, I was very surprised upon my arrival at the hotel.

Upon check in, I asked the front desk clerk if I could have a map of Lima. To my amazement, the hotel did not have a map. What hotel located in a major city does not have maps for its guests?

The first room I was taken to was tiny and I asked for a larger room. The second room I was taken to was slightly larger. Given that Lima is incredibly humid, I wasn’t surprised by the fact that the room was musty smelling, the carpet damp, and the bedding damp. What did surprise me was the utterly pathetic air conditioning the hotel possesses.

The hotel does not appear to have central air conditioning. Instead, each room has a wall unit. I am not exaggerating when I say that the wall unit is so poor, I could purchase a far superior one at Walmart. In order to operate the a/c, one must use their key card to turn on the electricity in the room. Therefore, the a/c does not run when you are out of the room, which only causes the humidity to increase.

The a/c only has one setting – on or off. There is no way to adjust the speed or intensity of the fan. Also, the a/c does not turn off once the desired temperature is reached. In order to keep your room cool and cut down on the humidity you must run the a/c constantly. What doesn’t help matters is the fact that the a/c is so loud it sounds like a jet engine.

The hotel essentially leaves its guests with two options. Be hot and miserable with the humidity or be up all night because of the noisy air conditioning. The only way to sleep with the a/c on is to take a sleeping pill.

The service at the hotel was rather poor. Someone stole two beers out of my mini-bar and the hotel tried to charge me for them. After having my friend complain to the front desk in Spanish, we were able to have the charge removed. When we asked the hotel if we should have their preferred taxi service pick us up from dinner at a specific time, the hotel said there was no need. When we called the hotel after dinner to order the taxi, we were told it would take over an hour.

I should also add that the bed was extremely hard, the bathroom looked like something out of the 1980s, and if you did not have the a/c on, you could hear a lot of traffic noise.

If you are looking for an excellent hotel in Lima, I recommend you try your luck at the JW Marriott in Mira Flores. I will certainly be staying there the next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kim M
QAM-Olivar, Gerente at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest;

First of all; we would like to thank you very much for letting us know about your experience at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar and the inconveniences you had during your stay with us. We would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for not assist you properly with your requirements. We have taken note of all your suggestions and comments, be sure that we will work out each of them in order to avoid any future inconvenienceswith our guests. Remember that our guest's opinion is really important for us and we hope we can provide you again our service.