“Nice, convenient place”

Ranked #37 of 226 Hotels in Lima
Kingston, Jamaica
“Nice, convenient place”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Well located, friendly staff, most knowing some English. Hotel Car expensive - - taxis readily available all over town.

I was there for a meeting and we used a variety of the rooms - and that was satisfactory - staff managed meals, coffee breaks, etc. well. Internet was also good for the most part. Used safe but many of my colleagues did not and it felt pretty safe.

Near to "uptown" shops mainly but Lima is a good mix of new, old and culture so walking around is good. The restaurant at teh corner (Tanta) also good and probably cheaper than the one in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
QAM-Olivar, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for letting us know about your opinion of our facilities, services and surroundings during your stay at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar; It was a pleasure for us to have you as a guest. We hope you can stay again with us in your next visit to Lima. If you have any suggestion or additional comment in order to improove our services please do not hesitate to contac us. Thank you very much for been part of our Quality Assurance Program.

Quality Assurance Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel seems very nice and new on the outside, but it actually looks quite old inside, although rooms are well kept. I had trouble in this hotel from my check inn on; I arrived less than an hour before check inn time, and they did not give me a room. I tried to use the internet in the lobby to get some work done in the meantime, but it never worked. The technician was very nice and tried to help, but it didn't work. I finally got my room, and stood in front of a broken elevator for several minutes (right in front of the front desk with several staff there) without anyone telling me it was broken until another guest filled me inn. Waited for the other one for 5 more minutes until I was told to try the elevator on the other side of the lobby. That one stopped in every floor on the way up and down, with no one calling for it. Food was just ok.
At check inn I was asked for my credit card and charged USD$100 "to make sure it was valid" I've stayed in many, many hotels in more than 40 countries, and they've always confirmed the credit card by charging just USD$1, not 100! At check out, I was told that my card would be charged for the full amount of my bill, and then they would reverse the $100 transaction. This made me feel very uncomfortable, especially since I had read the story about the extra charges that a southafrican couple posted here in October. Lets hope I don't get over charged.
To sum-up, the hotel is ok, the service is quite poor, and their billing practices are unconventional. There are many hotels near by that I consider to be better in service and overall quality for similar prices.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
QAM-Olivar, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for letting us know about your opinion of our facilities, services and surroundings during your stay at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar; we would like to apologize for all the inconveniences you had during your stay with us, I had reported each of them to our Chiefs and Manager, in order to improove our services and also facilities. I would like to explain you that as a guarantee we deduct to all our guest a certain amount on their credit cards, this deduction can be use at the check out or it can be void, it depend on our guests. This information must be given at the check in and be sure that we have reinforced this procedure with our staff . If you have any suggestion or additional comment in order to improove our services please do not hesitate to contac us.

Wimborne, Dorset, England
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very nice hotel if you are on business but we were here for a final day before flying home. 45min out of town in a taxi which was not so good but the taxis are cheap! The hotel is obviously in a nice part of Lima with many embassies nearby....but not a lot of character!

The hotel has huge rooms and the service is first class and food was good. Small roof pool and free WiFi.

It is at least 30 min walk to anywhere interesting and 45 min to the ocean, we got a taxi back for about £3.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike Gr
Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for letting us know about your opinion of our facilities, services and surroundings during your stay at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar; It was a pleasure for us to have you as a guest. We hope you can stay again with us. If you have any suggestion or additional comment in order to improove our services please do not hesitate to contac us.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband booked this hotel for two nights 18-20 October 2012, with his credit card. On the 18th at 1 pm, I checked into the hotel, but he was flying from Brazil only arriving late that night. A special request for a room with a king size bed to my husbands height. The online booking service had a big room with 2 double beds. I was given a very small room with a standard double bed. I requested for us to be provided with a room in accordance with the booking and got treated extremely badly by the lady handling the check-in. I informed them I was prepared had meetings scheduled and will return later to the hotel, i was however requested to give a credit card for imprint only to cover any incidentals. I provided my personal Diners Club card. Upon my return hours later the same lady did nothing about my booking and merely asked one of the other front desk staff on duty to assist me, so I had to wait. Finally, I was checked into a room with a king size bed. The following day I received a sms message from Diners Club to inform me of a transaction which was for about USD800 that was processed by the hotel. A second message came through that the hotel was putting trying to put second charge for the same amount through on my Diners Club card.
Keeping in mind the original online room rate was only about USD350 in total.
I contacted Diners Club to stop my card as I had absolutely no success with the hotel who denied that they took an imprint of my card, claiming there is no record of the imprint nor any transaction and subsequent further attempts on record or the hotel system.
Upon checking out my husband were charged the full amount of the original booking, plus all incidentals.
The hotel decline to co-operate with Diners Club South Africa and the matter has now become the subject of reported incident handled by Diners Club Fraud Division for International Merchants.

Room Tip: Dont stay in room 330, Air conditioner was so bed we had to open our windows to get air. Big jacuzzi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank istellc
Dear Guest;

We would like to thank you for letting us know about your inconveniences during your stay with us. We are really sorry for not giving you since your check in the room you requested, the lady who handle your check in was making the arrangements but when you came back from your office she was already finishing her shift so she delegated your especifications to the second shift. Regarding to the pre authorization we requested to your Dinners; it is our procedure to ask for it and deduct an amount that will cover the stay just as a guarantee; this deduction can be use at the check out or be void; it depends on our guests. Once your husband payed with his credit card, we proceeded to annul yours but sometimes when we call to Dinners or other credit card in order to void the vouchers they think it is for a deduction instead of an annulment.
We hope you can accept our apologies for the inconveniences you had, it was not our purpose to make you any other charge to your credit card. We hope you can undestand us.

Sonesta Hotel El Olivar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

After a disappointing stay in another Sonesta we expected this to be similar but thankfully this is in a different league. A lovely huge and comfortable room and good free wi-fi throughout. Good service at the desk and the bar is reasonably priced. The breakfast here is excellent with plenty of vegetarian choices. Initially there doesn't seem to be much around it but the is a road behind it with a few upmarket bars and restaurants

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
QAM-Olivar, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this review, October 12, 2012

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at the Sonesta for two nights as part of a two week trip to Peru.

We arrived very late after arriving from the airport and check-in went relatively smoothly. Even better, the bed was very comfortable. The room was large, with lots of room and closet space, and we had an interior courtyard patio but no outside window. Breakfast next morning was very good, lots of variety. Didn't realize we could get eggs/omelettes to order until we finished though.

They were doing some renovations, so it was noisy with hammering, etc during the day, but very quiet at night.They have a nice pool and rooftop patio area, but it was cool and damp in September, so we didn't stop there for long. The walkway around the pool was quite slippery though.

The hotel itself was very nice, but more catering to business people than tourists, as there is less to do within walking distance here except for the Olive Grove park, and fewer casual eating places than at Miraflores.

Room Tip: We had a second floor room with interior courtyard - nice and quiet but no view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DP_Canadian
Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for letting us know about your opinion of our facilities and services during your stay at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar; It was a pleasure for us to have you as a guest. Certainly because of our location, we are really close to many companies and most of our guests are business people but we do offer our services to every people tourist or not that is looking for quietness and comfort. Some of our rooms have not only a terrace in the room but also beautiful views to the Olivar park. We hope you can give us the opportunity to provide you again our services, the best season to visit Lima in case you like warmer weather is Summer, between December and March. If you would like to give us any suggestion or additional comment for your future visits, please do not hesitate to contac us.

Miami
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel is small enough that the staff recognize you soon as a guest band treat you with desire to serve. It is close to the San Isidro business district and makes coming and going to nearby offices very easy.

Quiet little bar to finish any after hours business in a relaxed environment.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
QAM-Olivar, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for letting us know about your opinion of our facilities and services during your stay at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar; It was a pleasure for us to have you as a guest. We hope you can give us the opportunity to provide you again our services. If you would like to give us any suggestion or additional comment for your future visits, please do not hesitate to contac us.