“You will be happier if you insist on renovated upper floor”

El Pardo DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #20 of 228 Hotels in Lima
Darien, Connecticut
“You will be happier if you insist on renovated upper floor”
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We stayed 2 nights prior to flying to Cusco for a Sacred valley/MP tour and booked primarily because of the Miraflores location; our double/double room was reasonably sized, decent internet connection, decent bathroom, non descript decor and view, and as commented by some others, pervasive musty odor. We met with friends who felt the same on the 4th floor: noisy banging from strange sources, late night party noises from Casino and next door building and same smell. Good breakfast buffet; easy access to nearby restaurants and department stores although these are several blocks away (8-10 minute walk). Whole Foods type of upscale supermarket 4 blocks (5 minutes) away, convenient on stocking up on fruits, drinks etc. Key point: our friends returned for a final night after the Cusco/MP leg (we took a red eye but stayed for dinner): I belatedly checked another reviewer's comment and followed up: if you insist on an upper floor renovated room, you will get it and these rooms are night and day better than the older lower floor ones. Our friends were considerably happier, having done so.

• Liked — Pretty convenient location to dining in Miraflores; great renovated rooms, bad unrenovated
  • Disliked — musty odor for unrenovated floors; thin walls/ceilings; nondescript decor
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the end of June. We had to check in at around 10am in the morning and the hotel was ready for us with our room. We also needed late check out on our last day and the hotel did not even hesitate with our request and gave us the room until 3pm.

After spending two weeks in two to three star hotels through Peru, we were so excited to see this room. It was modern and big with an amazing bathroom! The service we received from front office, doormen, bellmen, breakfast staff, concierge (especially concierge - Valko) was excellent. Location of the hotel was good...fairly close to everything in downtown Miraflores. Only a 15 minute walk to Larcomar. The hotel bellmen went out of their way to help get taxis from the street and to make us feel welcome.
The chocoloate chip cookie and welcome drink in the bar is also a nice added touch.

Would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Was a bit pricey
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed June 14, 2008

The hotel puts itself out as a 5 star. a 5 star it is not. with that said. we had great stay. As hilton Diamonds, there are some nice additions.

Breakfast is good and service in the hotel is well above average.

Rooms are very large and rooms have all the amenities that you would expect from doubletree. Location in Miaflores is good, close to some really good resteraunts etc.

language skills of the staff were very helpful.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — large rooms and comfy beds
  • Disliked — a long ways from the aeroport
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed June 7, 2008

This is an excellent hotel. The rooms and suites are large and well furnished, the staff are excellent and the overall facilities are excellent. The hotel has an excellent gym.

The neighbourhood is very safe and there are alot of shops and restaurants within walking distance.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Maine
Reviewed April 26, 2008

I am a HiltonHonors Gold Member, so I booked this hotel for one night using points. I was given a nice one bedroom suite on the 10th floor. The room was great. It was newly renovated. It had a large flat screen tv, great bed, and a large bathroom. I had no bugs in the room. I found out talking to some other people at the hotel that there are many floors of unrenovated rooms. They will put people in these rooms first unless you ask for a new room, so keep that it mind if you stay here.

I arrived at the hotel at 10am but the room was not ready for about 45 minutes. I simply waited in the lobby. I did not mind waiting except for several employees who were walking around the lobby staring at me (and others). They seemed to be worried that someone might steal or vandalize something. I realize that this is Peru but the hotel, for the most part, does not give a warm welcome to guests.

Breakfast is mediocre. Like another reviewer below, I did not like the coffee either and the milk that the server poured into my coffee was spoiled. The server told me that was how coffee should look (with little floaties on top). I would skip breakfast at this hotel.

I asked for late check-out (4PM) when I checked in and they told me no problem. Unfortunately, sometime before 2PM, housekeeping came into the room and started cleaning it (while I was out). When I returned at 2:15PM, I told them that I could stay in the room until 4PM. Housekeeping was apologetic but asked me not to touch the bed, which had been partially changed. It seems that the front desk neglected to tell housekeeping that I was staying to 4:00.

Finally, I had a hotel car pick me up at the airport. They quoted me $27.00, and they said that I could charge this to the room. I though that was fine, but when I checked out they had charged me $35.00. They said there is a service charge added for charging a taxi to the room. The amount of money is not really the issue. It`s the lack of notice that annoyed me. I complained and they gave me a discount on the ride back to the airport.

Overall, I was disappointed and would not stay here again.

• Liked — The room was awesome
  • Disliked — Breakfast, front desk people
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank ChinaShrek
nottingham
Reviewed April 19, 2008

We stayed here for two nights as a stop over before heading to the jungle. An unimpressive hotel, although sold to us by our travel agent as a 'superior' hotel'. There was a pervading smell of damp throughout the building although no rain falls in Lima. Placed in a good part of the city and a short walk away from the coast. Beds were clean but a beetle was poured with my morning coffee which made me wonder about the kitchen!

• Liked — There was no one thing -it was just ordinary
  • Disliked — The smell of damp
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NottinghamAnnie
london
Reviewed April 15, 2008

For one night this was a long way from the airport.
A modern hotel with a smallish bedroom and a good bathroom. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.
Breakfast was a buffet with lots of fresh fruit, but mediocre coffee and pastries.
The staff were friendly and polite.
We were given a voucher for a free Pisco Sour.
It didn't seem like the 5* hotel it claimed to be; we would give it 4*.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — distance from airport for a one night stopover
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple