“On the brink”

JW Marriott Hotel Lima
Ranked #3 of 229 Hotels in Lima
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed for 5 days in this beautiful hotel on the coast overlooking the Pacific ocean, at the beginning of a 21 day Peru and Bolivia trip. Fantastic photos and memories, good food and of course Machu Pichu.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EasyGoingJoes
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Hotel Lima

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Was here for a week in October 2012 (managing a conference) and that's a real test of a hotel and its staff. All came through with an A. As other reviewers point out, staff are top-notch, from the front desk, through to room service and cleaning, restaurants and banqueting/meeting professionals. Competent, friendly and thoroughly professional.

Not much to speak of grounds-wise (and pool was closed in October) but with the Pacific in front of you and Miraflores behind, lots of interesting places to walk and gawk. And for the shoppers, there is Larcomar, the big seafront open-air mall as well as Miraflores itself. Note that none of the places we ate at Laromar had food as good as the Marriott, although we dined at some other splendid spots around Miraflores.

Rooms are more typical Marriott -- not as large and luxe as Four Seasons, Hyatts, etc. Real disappointment for me in a moderate climate like this is lack of balconies, even if Lima does get some light rain and fog that time of year.

Room Tip: All face the sea but I'd go with as high a floor as possible to avoid noise from busy avenue in...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SolaGo
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I don't know whether the Peruvian people are just friendlier than other people or whether Marriott Lima just hires and trains the best, but I have never been at a hotel with more warm, welcoming and helpful staff - and I have stayed in Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, Hyatts, etc. they catered to my every need.

All were friendly. The staff in the executive lounge always went out of their way to greet me. The people who did the turndown service asked how I was enjoying my stay. Room service waiters did also, and asked if I needed anything else. The concierge helped me with an issue I was having with my plane reservations and even helped me secure a refund. The bell hops were similarly effusively polite. Other hotels should visit Lima Marriott so they know what excellent customer service staff look like.

Room service was prompt and tasty, and I didn't need to use it often because the food at the executive lounge was quite good and offered a variety of choices - I highly recommend paying more for executive lounge access because you will probably save money on food in the long run. The gym was awesome too, with lots of ellipticals and treadmills, and plenty of weights: all with a view of the Pacific Ocean to keep you walking and peddling.

Things weren't entirely perfect; they booked my airport transportation for the day after my flight came in. The minibar is also missing sodas (not a big deal since I can go to the excellent executive lounge and grab a free one, but the menu says there should be some in the fridge). The room itself, while very nice, really could use one comfortable chair to curl up in. And the air transportation service is way too pricey - you can get a reliable Yellow Green cab for a fraction of the price.

However, these very minor issues don't keep me from awarding 5 stars. This hotel surpassed my expectations. I would find it hard to believe that a better hotel in Lima is in existence.

Room Tip: Spring for an ocean view on the executive level. It is nice and the lounge pays for itself.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Poopycat
Reviewed December 21, 2012

A 5 star hotel that did not disappoint us.Location wise, this hotel is very convenient, the mall is just few meters away.So shopping or eating were so convenient. The staffs were very friendly and helpful.Or I should say, Peruvians are mostly friendly people.The breakfast was excellent, lots of
varieties and choices. I loved it.A pity is as it is quite far from the airport, once should leave early
if you are catching a flight.Traffic jam seemed to be a serious problem in Lima.

Room Tip: A room facing the ocean will be wonderful
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank liewie
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I tend to come through Lima for one night a year (not much) but I travel all over the world. I am very happy that the JW is my Lima destination, and we came near the holidays and it was very nicely decorated. The transportation from the airport was well done and the location is excellent. My colleague mentioned he heard the casino at night from a low floor so be aware - I was higher up and heard nothing but perhaps ask for a high floor room.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ctwino
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is a solid Marriot hotel! It is literally right across from the beach and a retail center that has great restaurants and shopping. The price was really great for what we got ($185/night). The staff are uber helpful, free wifi in the common areas and a pretty awesome casino attached. We stayed in Lima just one night on our way back from Machu Picchu and in hindsight we wish we stayed here longer! After this stay I decided to sign up for JW Marriot's rewards program because I definitely see myself staying in hotels like this in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a beach view - best views of Lima beach for sure.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Benpatton
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I got a ocean facing room and it was worth it. The Hotel is right across from a shopping center built into the cliff and full view of the ocean. The rooms are very nice and the beds are great. I will defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business