“PERFECT”

Ranked #2 of 331 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Cagliari
“PERFECT”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My boyfriend Massimo and I have been travelling for over 4 months, starting from Guatemala and heading South. In true honesty, we can say that this is BY FAR the best hostel we have stayed at. Where do I start from?

The location is just excellent. Away from all the chaos of Miraflores, Barranco or the city centre, in a quiet, yet very well served area. It only took us 15 mins to get to Miraflores, and that included bus and walking. There is a very good supermarket nearby, some restaurants, and convenience stores. And, if you really want to go into the mayhem of town, it is a quick ride there.

There are only 8 beds - so 8 people is the most you will have there. There is an all female dorm, with its own bathroom, and a mixed dorm, also with its own bathroom. There are nice, BIG lockers. The fact that there are only 8 beds means that the place never feels overcrowded and the feeling one gets is more that of having housemates rather than being in a dorm.

Bunk beds are nice and comfortable, each one with their own light if you like reading at night, and plugs to charge phone, computer and what not.

Linens - yes, because those matter too! There are proper cotton sheets, and towels are proper ones! Finally, somebody that understood the importance of giving guests proper, soft and BIG towels so that we would not have to battle with a teeny tiny one to try ourselves. And, bathroom and kitchen are equipped with towel sheets and liquid soap.

The kitchen is perfectly equipped to prepare any meal you might want. We cooked on the nights we were there. There is also a nice, cozy living room: nice, comfortable couches, with a library and a computer and a nice table. There is a tv and a stereo too. Decorations are nice and tasteful.

The hostel is spotless: the first thing I noticed about Lima Backpackers was the shiny kitchen. Even hidden spots like those inside the fridge were tidy.

Breakfast is simple: fresh bread, fresh juice, traditional jams, coffee, tea or mate. It is served in the living room, making it extra cozy.

The fact that there can be no more than 8 guests at a time, makes it incredibly friendly: the atmosphere is simply great.

However, I must say that what makes this hostel go that extra inch compared to the rest, is the owner and manager Marco. He is a super-friendly, caring and fun person. He loves sharing anedocts about travels and life in general, and he is ever so helpful with planning the trip, giving advice on where to go, booking taxis and even ordering delivery food. One of the nights we were there, Marco prepared Pisco Sour. It is by far the best Pisco Sour I have had in Peru. It ended up with all the guests sitting in the living room, having a chat and a drink. It felt like being among old friends.

Absolutely loved our stay at Lima Backpackers: higly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Marco P, Owner at Lima Backpackers, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. It was really a pleasure to host and meet you. Keep enjoying life and take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Revelstoke, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Lima Backpackers kept me in Lima longer than I expected. Marco is an exceptional human being. He is kind, generous, helpful and interested in people and their stories. The place itself really is a home and weary travellers, tired from too many overnight buses, dirty communal spaces and the constant momentum of travel, should take the time to rest those weary bones and feel the comforts of this pristine, perfectly cosy environment. Cuddle up on the couch with a book or head downstairs to the Lima Backpackers bar and taste one of Marco's spectacular Maracuya Sours, which are absolute bliss. Either way you'll leave this place refreshed, recharged and ready for the next adventure.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Artiszen
Marco P, Owner at Lima Backpackers, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you very much for those kind words. Our pleasure hosting and meeting you. Hope you are doing great wherever you are. Keep enjoying your travels and keep in touch.
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I am not sure if anyone mentioned that Marco, the host, is a foodie and will guide you perfectly to some of the best restaurants and food stands not only in Lima but in the world.

The hostel itself is very well arranged and organised so that you feel safe and comfortable. Marco likes his city and is very eager to help you. With him, you will get the most of your stay even if it is only 2 or 3 days. Stay longer if you can and try the great food.

It is located in one of the nicest districts. There is a laundry downstairs (3 soles/kilo), great market nearby (5 min by bus/20 on foot), lots of convenience stores. It is a good place to explore Mirafores and Barranco.

REMEMBER TO TELL MARCO WHAT TIME YOU ARRIVE! He will appreciate it.

Room Tip: There are no private rooms but the dorms are safe and comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Marco P, Owner at Lima Backpackers, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your kind comment. We are happy to know that you liked Peruvian food and staying with us. Keep enjoying your travels and keep in touch.
Luton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Having now finished travelling for a year, I can safely say this is the best hostel/guesthouse I stayed in any country I visited by far - I wish I could rate it higher than a 5 :)! Marco is so friendly and as soon as I arrived here I felt at home. The place is cleaner than even any hotel I've been to. Literally spotless! The bathroom, the kitchen, the bedrooms, the living room - all cleaned to perfection.
The beds each had plenty of sheets and a clean towel. Also, you get a key for large lockers in the room. There is a plug and a lamp by each bed so there's no need to keep everyone awake if you stay up later. Marco has literally considered everything when building on his guest house. The wifi is fast and there is a modern computer available for guests to use. Marco prints anything you need and there's an extensive Peruvian film selection and huge TV and guitar in the lounge area. And the showers - hot and powerful - perfect!!
The location is great - it is in a safe, residential area, near but not in Miraflores - the area is called Surco.
Marco was the perfect host and provided me with a map of the area as soon as I arrived, and a card that you top up yourself and use on the Rapid bus in Lima that takes you to many areas of the city. Literally, he makes the stay as easy for his guests as possible.
The breakfast is tasty- delicious rolls with a selection of jam and butter, and lots of different tea selections (including my favourite mate de coca) and fruit juice. You're able to help yourself to the tea throughout the day.
The guesthouse has two dorm rooms (one male dorm room and one female dorm room), each with four beds, so sleeping capacity of 8 making it very personal and easy to get to know others staying. And Marco makes Pisco sours for the guests and I haven't found a Pisco sour better anywhere. He let us attempt to make one also, using his tips on how to make it.
I ended up staying here a week, and did not want to leave even after the week. 100% RECOMMENDED - STAY HERE, especially if you want a chilled out, homely stay!!
Thank you very much Marco - you were the perfect host and next time I visit Lima, this is without doubt my number one choice :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Marco P, Owner at Lima Backpackers, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. It's good to know that you really enjoyed staying with us. It was a pleasure meeting you, we hope that now you are enjoying life back home. Take care and keep in touch.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband, friend and I stayed here for two nights at the beginning of our voyage in Peru, and also for three nights at the end of our trip. We could not have been more satisfied. Marco instantly befriended all three of us and made sure to introduce us to the other guests staying with him. He was amazing with us being very green to backpacking, always printing maps for us, explaining how to get places in Lima, recommending amazing places to eat and he even lent us his metro pass for the bus! Marco sent us to the most delicious meal we had for the whole trip at an amazing seafood restaurant called Pescados Capitales. It was affordable, upscale, had amazing service and INCREDIBLE food!

The hostel itself was impeccably clean, including the bathrooms and showers, the beds were comfortable and a light breakfast was out every morning, with fresh-squeezed orange juice. Marco hosted pisco sour nights for us on more than one occasion, adding to the fun of our evenings! Actually, we enjoyed Marco's company so much, we only went out on the town for drinks once during our stays with him! It truly is like staying with an extremely clean, accommodating friend! I 100% recommend this hostel to anyone- and this was my first trip ever where I wasn't staying at a hotel or motel. This place is affordable and amazing. We would love to visit Marco again next time we are in Peru, he is a friend for life. :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Marco P, Owner at Lima Backpackers, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
How are you? Thank you for your comments. Glad to know that you had a good experience in Lima. It was really nice to meet all of you. Enjoy being back home and let's keep in touch.
Voecklabruck, Austria
Reviewed January 7, 2014

During my trip in Peru i stayed at Lima Backpackers Hostel two times.
My first visit was at the beginning of the journey for 3 nights at the beginning of may 2013.
The second one at the end of the trip (beginning of june 2013) for 2 nights more.
As you can read in all the other reviews, Marco helps you with everything.
In advance he already described me the best way to get to the hostel and included maximum prices for the taxis. He also told me which company to use so i was on the safe side from the first moment i arrived in Lima.
He printed maps of the center, miraflores and the neighborhood for me and included useful sites and also a plan to walk around in the districts to see the best places.
If there were question he always took his time to help you and never got annoyed :)
It's like you feel the fun he has with his job...

The Hostel is located in the district of Surco, which is located next to Miraflores and Barranco.
It's not the typical touristic area, which i really liked. For that reason it is very quiet.
The neighborhood is save, i never felt threatened or unwell at any time.
To get to the other districts there are some collectivos or the metropolitan bus service which only costs 2 Soles for one ride and is much easier to use at the beginning when you are not so familiar with the collectivos. You need a card for this bus which you have to charge with the money before you can enter the station. Marco provides you with the card, so you can use the bus immediatley.
From the Hostel to the Metropolitan station it takes you about 10 minutes to walk. Not far, it's pretty the same in the more touristic areas like miraflores.
If there is anything you can criticize it might be the taxi ride from the airport, which costs a little bit more than to Miraflores (what other travellers told me). But i think in the end that makes no difference, because if you want to go to the bus terminals with a taxi you save the same amount of money again...

I guess everything already has been said about the rooms.
It's always clean (and i mean really really clean), the cleanest hostel i ever saw. There is everything you might need. The kitchen is equipped very good. In the common area is a computer and wifi is everywhere (also at the roof where the smoking area is located)
There is warm water for taking a shower all around the clock, because the shower is equipped with an electric heater. That's the thing which is not that usual in Peru (at least what i saw), in most of the other hostels i stayed i had to shower pretty early to have hot water...
The beds are comfortable (i only stayed in the 4 bed dorm) and everybody has a private locker.
One thing i forgot to mention about the kitchen: Marco built a waterfilter in the pipeline. So you have free potable water :) This and many other details, for me, are the reason to give the highest rating here. Because i never found another hostel which offers this high standard.

What else...
The included breakfast is also perfect. With freshly pressed orangejuice and fresh pastry from the bakery.

The second time i arrived at the hostel early in the morning at about 7:20 am. In most of the hostels this would be kind of a problem because you would have to wait in the common area. Not here. I guess this is possible because of the unique way he manages the hostel.
I enjoyed my second stay even more, because it felt like coming home.

One peronsal thing, but i think it could give you an idea of which type of person the owner is:
The hostel was not booked out in my last night in Lima, so Marco took this chance to show me some places in the night. He went out with me for dinner and in a small bar with live music. Just like hanging around with a friend. This was the perfect ending of an unforgettable journey throw the country.

If you come to Lima you should definitley stay in this hostel! You will love it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hola1982
Marco P, Owner at Lima Backpackers, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your support. Comments like yours really motivates us to keep working very hard. Enjoy being back home and keep in touch.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014

To me the thrill of travelling is from seeing new places and meeting new people.

If you're travelling to Lima and need a place to stay, look no further. Lima Backpackers is the best value for the money you'll ever spend. Marco, the owner, is one of the most helpful and friendly people I've met while travelling.

Lima Backpackers is in the district of Santiago de Surco (Lima has 43 districts) which is a 20 minute bus ride from downtown Lima. When you book the place ask Marco how to get there as it's a good 45 minute cab ride from the airport. Once you're there though however, Marco is around to help you with anything.

The sheets are clean, the place is very clean and comfortable, there'e hot water 24x7, good internet, and breakfast is provided. There are 2 rooms (one female only, one mixed) with 2 bunk beds each for a total of 8 spots only! The way the place is set up is that you spend most of the time in the common area i.e. a living room and use the bed room when you need to get some rest or read a book. Each person gets an individual locker and a bedside lamp so you're good.

A friend and I spent 2 nights there recently and was probably the best decision we made in Lima. Marco understood our travel preferences and interests and advised us accordingly on what to do in Peru and how to get there. He gave us maps, print outs, directions, what we should pay where, what's not safe, etc.

Marco is a bartender (he had a working bar in the same building before) and makes amazing Pisco Sours and other drinks if you guys are up for it. We hung out with him and his friends one of the nights who were very warm and welcoming too. One of the days was just us at the hostel, so he took us out to a great sea food place for lunch to try some ceviche and other local dishes.

I cannot rave enough about the place. All I can say is Marco will do everything he can to make you feel at home.

Like I said, to me travelling is about seeing new places and meeting new people. Lima Backpackers is a place that lets you to do just that. When we left, it felt as though we were saying goodbye to a friend after staying at his place for a week!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Marco P, Owner at Lima Backpackers, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear friend, thank you for your comments. We are glad to know that you enjoyed staying with us. We also hope that you enjoyed exploring our city, traveling in Peru in general and, of course, the ceviche at the local restaurant and the pisco sours. Our pleasure meeting and hosting you. Keep in touch.