“NOT a good place for Tourists” 2 of 5 bubbles

Gamarra
Ranked #74 of 322 things to do in Lima
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Gamarra es un gran centro Comercial e Industrial del rubro textil, ubicado geograficamente en el distrito de La Victoria en Lima capital de Peru, donde encontramos mas de 25,000 empresas textiles entre tiendas comerciales, fabricantes y contratistas, servicios de subcontratacion y proveedores de la industria textil.
Phoenix, AZ
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“NOT a good place for Tourists”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was in Lima for work and a colleague (who speaks Spanish) took me here. She warned me not to wear any jewelry and to not have a big purse or anything. I put my money and a credit card in a pouch that I had under my top. I had a camera in my hand to take pictures ---- and someone ran up to me, ripped the camera out of my hand and ran off! It happened just outside the gates surrounding the place (there is more police presence inside the gated area). When my colleague was talking with one of the vendors in the district, the vendor actually told me that just having the pouch undernead my shirt wasn't good enough --- I should extend the pouch and tuck it into my pants! We did find some cute clothes here that were very inexpensive. We were there on a Saturday and it was crazy busy (mainly with native Peruvians... not many tourists). While many of the shops had signs that they took credit cards, none of the vendors actually wanted to take the credit cards. They won't take US dollars either... but there are money change people outside the tall building in Gamarra. Note that the police stand close by these people so that area felt safe. However, the area didn't feel very safe to me and it does not seem like a place for tourists.

Visited February 2013
7 Thank janetcpa

Washington DC
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Interesting, gringos be cautious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We took the newly opened metro to Gamarra on a Tuesday evening and found it extremely busy. There are many shops and inexpensive clothes. Lots and lots of shopping! Unfortunately I found the prices of men’s blue jeans to be the same price as at Ripleys in Miraflores. As tall gringos we really stood out in the crowd. I don’t recommend this location for non-Spanish speaking tourists as the location is not the safest.

Visited October 2012