“Different room, different opinion”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Carmel Hotel

Carmel Hotel
Ranked #81 of 228 Hotels in Lima
Ottawa, Canada
“Different room, different opinion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

I stayed 4 nights at Hotel Carmel as a pre tour hotel. First 3 nights I was on the 5th floor, corner room. Good lighting, queen bed, lots of closet and storage space and half sized fridge. Rooms are air conditioned and the air conditioning worked well. Everything was a bit dated, but clean. Last night I had to move as my tour partner was arriving. This room was on the second floor and needed a facelift. Ceiling over tub was cracked and falling away, AC didn't work as well. Room needed vacuuming. If this had been my first impression, I would not have been impressed. Upper floors are definitely the way to go. I rated the hotel on my first room giving them the benefit of a doubt that other floors will improve.

Overall, the staff was great, though some wanted to charge you for everything. The main rooms were clean, area was safe and night quiet (but I sleep with earplugs). Close to anything you can want or need.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

I was impressed with this hotel relative to the 2 other similarly priced places I've stayed in Lima. The lobby area is a nice place to sit, and I appreciated the free internet and continental breakfast. The room was nothing special, but clean and spacious. The desk staff was helpful giving directions and arranging tours. The hotel is in a nice neighbourhood, within walking distance of the artisans market and the larcomar mall.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2008

What a great hotel in a great location. It was on a quite side street off the main street in beautiful and safe Miraflores. There is a great Restaurant across the street that severs very tasty food with their specialty being roasted chicken. The hotel is in a quite area. I had a suite facing the street and I sleep like a baby on a very comfortable bed. I had reserved a jr. suite ($100 per night) and they upgraded me to a large suite upon arrival.

You’re only a block away from Parque Kennedy with many choices of stores and restaurants. There is also a bank and ATM across the street. The staff was very helpful and professional and spoke English. They made arrangements to have me picked up from the airport ($23) This hotel was my base as I flew in and out of Lima going to Cusco and Iquitos. The room was always spotless and the bathrooms were large with Jacuzzi tubes in the suite room. They also gave me a day rate of $40 dollars on my last day in town as I came in from Cusco at 1pm and my flight home was at 10 pm that night. The rooms have electronic safes but not big enough for a laptop. They provide WiFi in the rooms and a computer station in the lobby for your use. The breakfast was good with fruit, cereal, toast, coffee, juiciest and two types of scrambled eggs which were always hot.

I found Lima to be a very interesting city with many beautiful sites and not spending at least two days sightseeing in this warm and friendly city would be a disservice to yourself. The hotel is located at Atahualpa 152 – Miraflores. I will stay there again when I visit Lima again.

• Liked — Location and Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2007

Just back from a stay in Lima at the El Carmel Hotel on Atahualpa Calle. Service was good, although the front desk did not seem too interested when we had an issue with our travel tour group, Dosatariq, who had botched our airport transfer from Cuzco. Buffet breakfast was good, could have had more meat. Area is busy and safe, right near an artesian market for good souveniers. Staff was always smiles and the computer in the waiting room was also helpful.

1 Thank monal_m_patel
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2007

I stayed at this hotel in 2004 for 10 nights and had a great experience.
The hotel was very clean and my room was the best. Friendly staff, good breakfast and great location. I returned to my country after 14 years and couldn't have picked a better hotel. I'm planning to go back next year and I will definitively stay there.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2004, traveled solo
1 Thank Donna40
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2007

We stayed in Carmel Hotel for several days, with breaks in-between. The hotel is clean and similar to average 3-star american hotel. It has hot water, TV, air conditioning, mini fridge , self-programmable safe, and telephone. We stayed in several different rooms, and the rooms on the lower flours were noisier.

There is a free internet service in the lobby, but the internet is slow and not very reliable.

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the coast (Larco Mall), where there are a lot of good restourants.

The breakfast was good – buffet.

I would recommend this hotel and stay in it again.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank krasiCanada
Long Beach California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2006

We were only in Lima for a short night (arrival after midnight) on our way to Cuzco. This hotel was nice and clean, but our room was on the street side and we were subject to loud discotheque music from below until past 3am. Not a great way to start off a memorable vacation.

1 Thank shastabob