“Let down.”

Mantra Indian Cuisine
Ranked #164 of 2,505 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We cordially invite you to the only exclusive place where you will enjoy the best of Indian cuisine in Lima...Made by Indian chef Jay Patel!!
Lima, Peru
“Let down.”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Really disappointing meal. Expensive, service was terrible, waiters took forever to carry out simplest of tasks, had to ask for the bill about 3 times. The food was average, we ordered 5 different plates but they all looked and tasted the same, lacking flavor and variety. The only positive thing is the actual restaurant which is nice, but I wont be returning.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Nicolas B

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Be careful with tap water being used at the restaurant”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I went to have dinner with very high excitement after 10 days of trekking in Machu Picchu and around Cusco having eaten non-Indian food. The only difference between what my wife and I ate-drank was that she had fresh fruit juice and I had lemonade (made from tap water) which the owner (Jay Patel's wife) claimed was filtered water (which obviously is tap water, but not dis-contaminated, only minerals taken out). I had severe stomach cramps and runs to the toilet all night and following day. My wife was ok as she did not have any I called Jay Patel, who did not answer the phone, but was able to talk to his wife Nisha Patel. She argued that they use filtered water (which every one knows that when you filter tap water, there is no removal of parasites or bacteria). She was not apologetic and became very defensive, saying that I need to speak to her husband as she could not do any thing about me having caught parasite or bacteria from the tap water used to make lemonade. The prices of the food is same as London, UK or a bit higher and yet, they use filtered water, not bottled water from a reliable company. DO NOT EAT HERE!

• Visited September 2012
8 Thank Jack S
Lima, Peru
“Like eat but no so much”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I have eaten in a couple of Indian restaurants before and I can say this food is good but not impressive...

• Visited July 2011
“If You Want Indian Food In Lima, Mantra Is The Place”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Six of us were ending our Machu Picchu and Galapagos Islands trip in Lima. Some of us were dying for good Indian food. Our guide did not know of too many Indian restaurants. But she had heard of Mantra. She called the restaurant and was told that they normally close at 5:00PM on Sundays. However they were willing to serve us dinner if we could be there by 8:00 PM. The restaurant is located in Miraflores and was quite close to the hotel we were staying in.
Once we got to the restaurant, we were welcomed warmly by the owner, Mr. Patel. Mantra's menu offers lots of choices, all reasonably priced. We ordered several vegetarian, meat and chicken dishes. All of them arrived piping hot at our table. They were prepared well with the right amount of spicing. The nan breads were good (I have had better nans, crispy on the outside and light and fluffy inside). We finished our meal with the Kulfi (Indian ice cream), which was outstanding. The service was very attentive and our waiter helped us choose the dishes.
We left the restaurant, satisfied with the excellent food and good service. Thanks to Mr. Patel for accommodating us even though the restaurant was closed for the day.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank curiousrover
Bangalore
“average food, still worthwhile if you insist Indian food!”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

During our visit to Peru in Feb/March2012, we ( myself and wife) visited this restaurant 4 times ( as we were told that this is the only Indian Restaurant in Lima or in Mioraflores? ). Our hotel concierge ( Casa Andina) gave reference of this place and this restaurant is very easy to locate as this is in a busy shopping district area of Miraflores, and ofcourse, not very far from Larcomar and other busy streets of Miraflores. Three out of four times, it was not crowded and it has neat and elegant decor. As usual, we ordered Vegetarian food. The food came in a jiffy. Almost all the waiters are Peruvian and they are quite aware of various Indian dishes with difficulty in speaking English, yet they do a good job! We were told that the chef and cooks are from Nepal and the food was quite average. The portion size was very small. Anyhow, we went there 4 times, because, some one is giving Indian food in Peru!

• Visited March 2012