“A special treat”

Ranked #28 of 2,652 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Peruvian, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Saqra, from the Quechua language meaning “little devil”, “naughty” or “mischief maker”. Saqra also refers to one of the characters found in the festival of the Madonna of Carmen in the village of Paucartambo, Cusco. Here, this happy little devil wins the heart of the Madonna with his childish pranks and mischief making as he dances around her playfully in the procession. These ideas inspired the creation of Saqra as a restaurant bar that offers modern Peruvian food where we reinterpret the Peruvian identity in a playful and contemporary key, conjuring up fun and colourful results. Saqra, in essence, is not really a place but a state of mind where this little devil plays a delightful host who wants that all his guests live a unique experience, where they meet again with their the inner child, sometimes long lost.
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We decided to visit Saqra for dinner as it was very close to our hotel (Casa Andina Private Collection) and we had a quick browse of the reviews on Google and TripAdvisor and it scored well. It was a fantastic decision!

We arrived without reservation and were immediately seated without fuss. We were given English menus and the waiter explained that some dishes were unavailable on that night. (Ceviche included! We were a bit disappointed, but there was plenty of other choices)

I had the prawns (With a most unusual dipping sauce, the flavour reminded me of citrus sweets I had as a child - in a good way!) My wife had the octopus. We were very pleased with our choices.

For mains, I had the Peruvian Lomo Saltido and my wife had Swordfish. Both were very good indeed.

After the main course was cleared, very efficiently I must add, we were both quite full, but decided to try dessert as the previous 2 courses had been so good. I can't remember the names of the desserts we ordered, but they were both like works of art and they tasted great too, the most important part!

The owner/manager came to our table twice to check everything was OK with our meal, but there really was nothing to worry about, the waiting staff were really very attentive, efficient and polite (and spoke English!)

The bill came to about 280 soles including a bottle of wine. Highly recommend a visit if you are in the area and want a slightly different dining experience!

1  Thank Eire82_13
There are newer reviews for Saqra

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We found saqra for lunch as it was near our hotel.It is quite good and enjoyable but not death dealing. The fish with charred sugarcane was excellent. My ravioli were okay, better on the menu than in the mouth. The scalllops sauted with quinoa were excellent. great pisco ginger and beer.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I dined at Saqra last Friday night on our first ever visit to Lima. The food and service highly exceeded our (quite high) expectations. Our server did not speak English all that well, and we really don't speak much Spanish at all - but that's ok - we feel like it is all part of the adventure. The man who appeared to be the manager was very kind and helped take our orders and answer our questions in English. The menus are printed in English and are very descriptive - and the food that was delivered matched the menu descriptions quite well.

We had a reservation for 9pm - when we arrived we were seated inside, but I asked if we could have a table on the outdoor patio. It was only a 5 minute wait, so we waited. The outdoor patio is surrounded by bushes, which makes the experience a little bit more private from the road. I set my handbag down on the ground next to my seat, and the manager quickly came over and showed me how to open the stool to put my handbag safely inside. I'm glad he did because at one point during my meal, I saw the hand of a small beggar child coming through the bushes reaching for anything he could grab and asking for money. This did not detract from our experience one bit though. Overall, the atmosphere inside and outside was very trendy but still warm and welcoming - a place where jeans are just fine to wear, but a trendy dress works too. Clearly this is one of the hot spots for Lima's foodies. We were the only tourist couple (english speaking) there that I noticed.
As for the food - WOW: We started with a quinoa taboule which had the creamiest, most heavenly goat cheese we have ever eaten. We also had the grilled octopus, which was served on delicious mashed potatoes (causa). For the main, I ordered the prawns and polenta - I was expecting fried or pan-seared peices of Polenta but it was much more like a soup - I've never had anything like that before. The flavor was incredible - buttery, complex, and very fresh prawns. My husband had the Lomo Saltado - fantastic presentation and very rich flavors. To get the full flavor experience, he mixed up everything together like a stir-fry so that the potatoes and rice would be covered in the beef and vegetable broth.

Our total bill, for two drinks, two appetizers, two mains, and no dessert (we were too full!) was only $70 USD after tipping. Incredible value for such amazing food!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

A most unique restaurant. The name means "little gypsy.". Every piece of furniture is different; the ambiance is as a child would decorate. The food was excellent and served as works of art. The owner came over and joined us for a while. The restaurant is in the middle of the Lima action. Lots of entertainment, inside and out. Recommend reservations.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

It was my last day in Lima after visiting my high school friends and I was in search of some Conchitas a la Parmesana, I went into google and this was the first place that came up.Not only Fellow tripadvisors gave it the highest ratings for great service and amazing food but the locale was beautiful as well. So I went for it.
My friends were a little hesitant since they dont really search for restaurants this way, but they catered to me as I was the guest.
We were all more than glad for this as we found ourselves in a very nice area of Lima, and the restaurant was tucked away in a street, the decor was rustic and beautiful.
The food: AMAZING.
Traditional dishes served with a modern twist. Flavors were kept true but given enough of a modern flair to keep you begin for more.

I had the conchitas a la parmesana, with the aji de gallina and for the drink a Chilcano de Damasco. the best Chilcano I've had during my stay in Lima.

My friend had what he described the "best Ossobucco of his life".

My only regret? is not having enough room for dessert.

1  Thank galynka