“Fantastic!”

Ranked #37 of 2,924 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Peruvian, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Saqra, from the Quechua language meaning “little devil”, “naughty” or “mischief maker”. Saqra also refers to one of the characters found in the festival of the Madonna of Carmen in the village of Paucartambo, Cusco. Here, this happy little devil wins the heart of the Madonna with his childish pranks and mischief making as he dances around her playfully in the procession. These ideas inspired the creation of Saqra as a restaurant bar that offers modern Peruvian food where we reinterpret the Peruvian identity in a playful and contemporary key, conjuring up fun and colourful results. Saqra, in essence, is not really a place but a state of mind where this little devil plays a delightful host who wants that all his guests live a unique experience, where they meet again with their the inner child, sometimes long lost.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My friend Tanya and I went here for a bit of girly gossip and pow-wow. The food is fantastic! The Lomo Saltado is definitely one of the best dishes and so are the specials. The desserts are of massive portions, I don't usually leave any dessert on my plate but I just couldn't finish it!
The atmosphere of Saqra is jazzy, friendly and upbeat. The outdoor seating is great for a night of drinking piscos. Moreover, everything you see at Saqra is for sale, including a strange photograph of helium balloons in the shape of Dora and Spongebob Squarepants! I love the restrooms, one is designed in black mirror and the other in red leather. They certainly add to the quirky sense of adventure Saqra has a good restaurant. The only thing I would add is eating at Saqra is for special occasions, unless you have enough money to burn. I would say the price of the dishes are more expensive than the usual ones. But you definitely get value for money, in terms of portion size and taste! Do go if you want to have a birthday dinner or take your special loved one for a Valentine's day meal!

1  Thank nilmadole
Write a ReviewReviews (1,383)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed this spot. Great patio and delicious food! It has a cool vibe but isn't super fancy. If I lived in Lima, I'd be a regular.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My first return in 2 years. I wrote a review here then that was less than glowing. During this visit, my main selection was out of stock. Boo! The waiter returned to distribute the bad news. So, I asked for his recommendation (he recommended the chicken ajillo or something like that -- he said it was the restaurant specialty dish). My friend had the swordfish. Both dishes were good, but on both dishes the sauce was tepid at best. Far from hot temperature. That was a bit discouraging. But hte salad and potates with mine were pretty good, though far from excellent.

The pisco sours were very strong and very tasty.

We did not stay for dessert (we had one last time and enjoyed their creative take on desserts) but this time we were full. This place is probably Top 200 restaurant of Lima but not close to Top 20. Please don't go with great expectations. Both times were OK to good meal, at Saqra, but never memorable compared to our other dining ventures in Lima.

2  Thank ATLconsultant
jdelapiedra, Propietario at Saqra, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Good morning ATL:
My name is Joaquin de la Piedra, one of the owners of Saqra.
I have just read your comment.
I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your experience at Saqra. Are you still in Lima? Please let me know. Be sure that your comments have been noted and will be addressed correctly.
All the best,
Joaquin de la Piedra
SAQRA
jdelapiedra@saqra.pe

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Great food!!! All dishes fantastic !! We ordered a ceviche, a salmon tartar and espada fish... Important: dishes are gourmet... Small portions... If your really hungry be prepared for appetizer, main dish and maybe something else (kid and husband left hungry...)... Service also great !! Totally recommend!!

1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are foodies. When researching places to eat during our brief stay in Lima, Peru, my husband discovered numerous favorable reviews for this restaurant; so, we made reservations for dinner on a Wednesday night, months before we arrived in Lima. Located in the posh Mira Flores district, Saqra is the perfect choice for a foreign guest. My husband and I dined on fried Panko shrimp served with fresh avocado slices and a remarkable Passionfruit and Pisco dipping sauce, chicken thigh chicarrones served with a quesco dipping sauce and an octopus and kalamata olive tapenade risotto. The dinner was fabulous. Each dish was unique and delicious. The manager on duty the night we ate at Saqra - Jessica - was welcoming and accommodating, hailing us a taxi for our return trip to our hotel. The prices at Saqra were very reasonable for the creativity and quality if the food we were served. We recommend this restuarant to all our friends and fellow travelers.

1  Thank wendy-darryl