The first time I stayed at this hotel I declared it my new favourite hotel... and that's saying a lot since I spend about 100 nights per year in hotels. However, after my recent trip I have had to revise this to 'I will never stay here again', which is really disappointing to me as I love the rooms and the decor.
The main reason for this change of heart is a week-long series of issues that I experienced with my booking. For some reason, the hotel was not able to charge my credit card for my pre-paid rate, despite my card working fine in all other hotels, restaurants, etc. and actually having been accepted by this hotel in the past. I do have to say that the reservations team did keep my reservation open while we tried to resolve this, however at times it felt like they were trying to get out of honoring my reservation (admittedly, it was a very good rate). Despite sending the details of several credit cards, they were not able to charge any of them (?) and our final solution was to make the payment with the credit card of my colleague. This involved sending various different forms, emails and a few phone calls, all of which we had to do whilst already on our business trip in Colombia. After sending everything, we did not receive any confirmation that the payment had been made and after 24 hours I had to call the hotel myself to ask for confirmation (I didn't want to arrive in Lima at midnight to find out that I didn't have anywhere to sleep). The reservations agent I spoke to (who was also one of the people we had been emailing with) seemed to think that providing this confirmation was above and beyond what would normally be expected. Perhaps this is true in normal circumstances, but given the issues that we had been experiencing for the past week, a quick email to confirm would surely not have been too much trouble?
When checking in, the check in clerk consulted with the reservations agent I had spoken to on the previous day about something in my reservation. At this point in time, I was just relieved to have arrived, was very tired and happy to have somewhere to sleep. Had the reservations agent simply acknowledged me, smiled, even referred to (with a smile) all of the troubles we'd been having, I would have been happy. But instead, she completely ignored me.
In follow up emails with this hotel, the attitude has been consistently that I should be grateful that they kept the reservation open for me despite it being a pre-paid rate. While I have acknowledged that, my fundamental issue is the attitude we have experienced in many of our interactions and this does not seem to be a concern to the management team there.
Aside from this issue however, my stay there was very pleasant and I was happy to retreat to my room after a long day of work every day. The other hotel staff were great and especially the drivers for the car service to and from the airport are very nice and helpful.
A few other notes on my experience:
- On Sunday morning, the breakfast room is very crowded and there isn't enough staff. I was only offered the option of an omelette or other cooked-to-order items after about 20 minutes, by which time it was already too late.
- This hotel offers the option to not have housekeeping, however this is presented more in the form of 'we won't change your sheets if you don't want us to'. I don't need my sheets changing every day, but then discovered that what this actually means is that there is no housekeeping whatsoever... An 'in-between' option i.e. no changing sheets and towels, but some basic services, would be great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Westin Lima is a part of Starwoods Hotel and Resort. Guests staying here may be eligible to use their Starwood Prefered Guest (SPG) points according to what is stated on their webpage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Lima Hotel And Convention Center
- The Westin Lima Hotel Lima