“Beautiful hotel but disappointing attitudes”

The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 227 Hotels in Lima
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel but disappointing attitudes”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The first time I stayed at this hotel I declared it my new favourite hotel... and that's saying a lot since I spend about 100 nights per year in hotels. However, after my recent trip I have had to revise this to 'I will never stay here again', which is really disappointing to me as I love the rooms and the decor.
The main reason for this change of heart is a week-long series of issues that I experienced with my booking. For some reason, the hotel was not able to charge my credit card for my pre-paid rate, despite my card working fine in all other hotels, restaurants, etc. and actually having been accepted by this hotel in the past. I do have to say that the reservations team did keep my reservation open while we tried to resolve this, however at times it felt like they were trying to get out of honoring my reservation (admittedly, it was a very good rate). Despite sending the details of several credit cards, they were not able to charge any of them (?) and our final solution was to make the payment with the credit card of my colleague. This involved sending various different forms, emails and a few phone calls, all of which we had to do whilst already on our business trip in Colombia. After sending everything, we did not receive any confirmation that the payment had been made and after 24 hours I had to call the hotel myself to ask for confirmation (I didn't want to arrive in Lima at midnight to find out that I didn't have anywhere to sleep). The reservations agent I spoke to (who was also one of the people we had been emailing with) seemed to think that providing this confirmation was above and beyond what would normally be expected. Perhaps this is true in normal circumstances, but given the issues that we had been experiencing for the past week, a quick email to confirm would surely not have been too much trouble?
When checking in, the check in clerk consulted with the reservations agent I had spoken to on the previous day about something in my reservation. At this point in time, I was just relieved to have arrived, was very tired and happy to have somewhere to sleep. Had the reservations agent simply acknowledged me, smiled, even referred to (with a smile) all of the troubles we'd been having, I would have been happy. But instead, she completely ignored me.
In follow up emails with this hotel, the attitude has been consistently that I should be grateful that they kept the reservation open for me despite it being a pre-paid rate. While I have acknowledged that, my fundamental issue is the attitude we have experienced in many of our interactions and this does not seem to be a concern to the management team there.

Aside from this issue however, my stay there was very pleasant and I was happy to retreat to my room after a long day of work every day. The other hotel staff were great and especially the drivers for the car service to and from the airport are very nice and helpful.

A few other notes on my experience:
- On Sunday morning, the breakfast room is very crowded and there isn't enough staff. I was only offered the option of an omelette or other cooked-to-order items after about 20 minutes, by which time it was already too late.
- This hotel offers the option to not have housekeeping, however this is presented more in the form of 'we won't change your sheets if you don't want us to'. I don't need my sheets changing every day, but then discovered that what this actually means is that there is no housekeeping whatsoever... An 'in-between' option i.e. no changing sheets and towels, but some basic services, would be great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank turtleflowertattoo
WestinLimaGM, Director General at The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I sincerely apology that the hotel had issues with the credit card you provided us at the time of your reservation. I do hope you give us another chance to serve you as it wasnt totally our fault rather our banks for the processing of the credit card. Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 11, 2013

A very nicely finished hotel. We stayed on the 29th floor and had epic views across the city - albeit the city appears to be permanently overcast. Great bar downstairs. We ate at Market 770 which was ok but not brilliant - lacked character. The other restaurant appeared much better but was closed when we were there. Not very close to most tourist sites but the city is quite spread out. Would be great as business hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinLimaGM, General Manager at The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks for the great review and will look into the Mkt770 comments accordingly. Paul
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel was brand spanking new and the tallest building in Lima. Awesome place to stay. The rooms were super clean and modern and the bathrooms were out of this world. I would highly recommend this place. Great rates too.

Room Tip: Always use the hotel car service... safest way to travel and all the cars are luxurious and new
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
WestinLimaGM, Director General at The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Glad you were able to rest up! Paul
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Excellent hotel to stay in. Conveniently located. Lobby was nice and clean, the flowery smells were inviting. Our room was a very nice corner room with a seperate living room. Everything was meticulously clean, which is very important. would definitely stay here again if i were in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, The team and I appreciate them. Paul
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is simply wonderful. Big, comfortable and perfectly cleaned rooms. Enormous and complete bathroom. Wonderful service provided by a very professional staff. Four different bars. Conviniently located in San Isidro.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
The team and I thank you for the positive review. Paul
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Shame we only stayed 1 night, arrived late and left early, had a huge corner room 514 so large and well laid out.
We managed to squeeze in time at the buffet for breakfast and it was lovely, lots on offer and staff very efficient. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarahcraigy
WestinLimaGM, General Manager at The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
The team and I love your review! Thanks. Paul
Mexico
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Super nice hotel, good ubication, excellent service. Delicios sunday buffet.
Excellent service. Convention center very good for business meeting. Upper floors very nice view.
Concierge service the best. Taxi services first class.

Room Tip: Executive floor very nice view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WestinLimaGM, Director General at The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. The team and I appreciate it. Paul