“One of the nicest Westin's in the world”

The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 226 Hotels in Lima
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, OR
“One of the nicest Westin's in the world”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We are Starwood Platinum and have stayed at many a Westin and this might just be the nicest one we've ever seen. It is brand new, (we checked in on the official opening day) and is a nice blend of the best of a "W" and a Westin. The public areas have a "W" feel, from the lobby, to the Pisco bar, to the pool area, and the rooms are more Westin - like the Heavenly bed. The bathrooms are lovely and contemporary too. We took a tour of the spa as it was not quite open yet and it looks to be amazing. We did get a chance to swim in the pool and spa areas which were relaxing and pretty spectacular to look at. The service at the hotel is outstanding and although all new staff, don't come off as such. We used the hotel car to get around (nice fleet of Audi's) and they were reliable every time we needed them.

Overall a very impressive stay and this hotel is up to American standard's.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Peblipoo
WestinLimaGM, General Manager at The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
As the first Westin in South America, the team and I enjoyed very much reading your review. We are very proud of our new hotel and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA, USA
Reviewed June 9, 2011

If you like brand new, clean, and ‘everything works’ this hotel is for you! This hotel had its soft opening in early May of 2011 so, as of this writing, it is has only been open for about a month.

Considering the difficulties of opening any large project this hotel is doing a great job in the early going. Most of the little, but most challenging, details are already well in hand – such as timely room service and turndown service at night. I was very happy to see that this hotel is not cutting corners, like so many others, by providing turndown service only upon request. It is very nice to come back from dinner to fresh towels and a turned-down bed.

Not once during my stay did I have any employee apologize to me nor “ask for my understanding” that the hotel is still new and the “bugs” are still being worked out. My kudos to management in making sure that all systems were, indeed, “go” even for the early guests.

As there has been so little written about this hotel I will give more-detailed than usual review so maybe something that is important to you will be mentioned.

I have never seen a hotel with more technology installed in the room. The flat-panel TV has over 60 channels and there is an in-desk interface panel allowing you to connect all of your technology. The panel has digital video in, S-video in, PC video in, audio in, as well as a phone connection and an ethernet connection. The panel also features US-style plugs with 110 volts. Interestingly, the panel did not include any USB charging options so you will still have to bring your old-fashioned wall charger. There is also in-room WiFi.

There is an iPod docking station by the bed that also serves as the clock radio and alarm. While this is nice, in my opinion, it is another example of “too much” when it comes to clock radios which seems to be a trend among hotels. The alarm had been set by a previous guest and, of course, went off at some ridiculously early hour; since the docking station has so many buttons I did not notice the alarm. The actual clock display also remains dark unless you hit a button to activate it. I know this is such a minor detail but I am of the school that the one thing where any hotel should “keep it simple, stupid” is in the clock radio! That’s just my .02 but my advice to you is to make sure you check to see that no alarm is set before you retire for the evening.

The internet fee is US$10 per day.

On the desk in the room the hotel provides only “sticky pads” and not any notepaper – so if you need paper you had better bring your own!

The HVAC system was efficient, quiet, and easy to use.

The hotel is located at a busy intersection of several freeways and, while noise can be heard at times, overall the rooms are well sound-proofed and this was not a problem.

The gym appears to be well equipped – including 6 very nice running machines. The pool is located indoors. Both the gym and the pool are free if you are a hotel guest.

The bathrooms are very nice but, be warned, offer relatively little privacy if that is of concern to you. The entire sink and bathtub area is fully visible from the room through semi-opaque windows. There is a separate room for the loo but this, too, only has a semi-opaque sliding glass door. In fact, the loo is fully visible through the closed opaque door from the shower area (which is separate from the tub). The bathrooms are very well equipped, the shower pressure is excellent, and the shower features a “rainforest” head where the water comes down on you from directly above. It is very refreshing! The shower is also equipped with a removable shower wand. While the hotel does provide an iron and an ironing board – it does not provide a scale.

The only area where I felt this hotel fell significantly short was in the check-out process.

Checking out took more than 10 minutes (there was no line) and, in a practice I have never seen before, no itemized statement is shown to nor provided to the guest. My credit card was charged, and the voucher submitted for my signature, without any review of charges nor itemized invoice provided. The final bill simply showed individual total lines for room charges, restaurant charges, internet/phone charges and room service charges, etc. Nothing at all was itemized (was that one room service breakfast for 120 sol or two for 60 sol? No way to know!).

My colleagues experienced the same thing upon check out and one was told the final (vague) bill structure had to do with the complicated tax exemptions for international visitors. I had a ballpark number in my mind as to what my final bill would be so, when I was presented with charges that seemed “mostly correct,” I just decided not to worry about it. Even today I don’t know if I was, in fact, billed correctly for my stay. But this is clearly a practice that I have never seen before any Starwood property, nor any hotel anywhere, and the final bill would not pass muster with most corporate accounting departments which would likely start asking a bunch of questions before providing any reimbursement.

I would encourage the general manager of this hotel, or a regional manager for Starwood, to look into the check-out practices at this hotel and bring the final billing statements up to Starwood, and also to international, hotel standards. All guests should be provided, in advance, an itemized copy of their individual hotel charges before any credit card is charged or account settled. Once the account is settled the invoice sent home with the guest should include a detailed record of every charge, the date the charge was incurred, etc. Even if there is some Peruvian law or regulation requiring the final bill to be presented, for tax exemption purposes, the way it is currently presented that should not stop the hotel itself from providing the guest a detailed accounting of all charges.

Overall I would give this hotel excellent marks in the early going and would gladly stay here again!

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank SFTraveler10
Thank you for your review. I have reviewed our check out procedures and have found your comment to be true and have taken corrective measures to provide our guests with the detailed, itemized summary of thier charges. We look forward to having back once more.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2011

The newest hotel in Lima: Westin !
Very modern and very luxury....loved the decor !
Rooms are spacious and have top of the lines features....bath have double zinc....tub and shower !
770 Restaurant has an excellent menu for dinner and yummy buffet breakfast !
Hotel is brand new and located in the financial district...next door to a mall.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank VenezolanoFLL
Our first review in the hotels history! The staff and I greatly appreciate the review especially a positive one in our first days of operation. Thank you so much. We are striving for our guests complete satisfaction.