“Need to find new drivers”

B&B Miraflores Wasi Independencia
Ranked #20 of 308 Lima B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Need to find new drivers”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had originally booked this property sometime in April(?). As we were staying in the Sacred Valley, I received an email to reconfirm my reservation. I responded and asked if we could add a 2nd night. I received a response saying they did not offer additional nights, and recommended I try their other property. They took care of all that info for me. So far, so good.
Once we landed in Lima, we looked for our driver. And this is where the problems began. Our driver was in a rush, we don't know why. He didn't wait for us, just darted across the street to the parking lot, while we dodged oncoming cars carrying our luggage. First of all, the driver shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car. He was a horrible driver. Second of all, while the car was not filthy, it wasn't clean either. Duct tape everywhere. As we were driving, I happened to notice some white gooey stuff on the back of my shoe, it was the goo from the tape. It came off my show fairly easily. He reconfirmed out destination. He confirmed our original destination, I corrected him, he disagreed, and took me to the orignal location. Upon getting out of the car, I realized not only my shoe had gotten duct tape glue on it, it was all over the back of pants. Brand new pants I had bought 2 days before leaving for Peru. And, he thought it was funny. We went inside, the friendly girls said I was to be at the other location, and I told them what happend. They got us another driver, went to to our new room, which was very spacious for the amount paid. I noticed we had no towels. My bf went to go get towels, as I was going to wash my pants in the bathroom (they were my last set of clean clothes before flying out late the next day). He happened to ask about laundry service, so instead he came & took my pants. I went down to inquire on how long it would take, and was told I would not get them back until the next day, and that they had already been picked up. I told her I was not going to pay the 10 soles for getting them washed as their driver ruined them, and that I was not paying them for the driver. They said that was fine. I looked over, and saw my pants sitting on a chair, therefore, they were not picked up, and the girl flat out lied to me. I took them back, tried to wash them myself, with no success as the towels were damaging the fabric.
Now I am out the money to get new pants that I only got to wear for 5 hours tops.
I think these properties need to reconsider who they use as their drivers.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
chechi, Manager at B&B Miraflores Wasi Independencia, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I need to request Tripadvisor to recondiser publishing this review as it is clearly a review over the taxi driver. Anyway I will give the driver's version over this incident: He mentions everything went ok until they arrive to the hotel and they found a pice of tape on her pants, he is not sure if the tape was in his car (from the last passenger) or maybe she arrived with the tape on her pants. When they found out they laught, all together, even her husband, the lady also gave a tip to the driver, he tought they where happy with his service. It is true he got the wrong location but he sent a new taxi to take her to the correct location in les than 10 minutes. he offered to pay for the laundry and he agreed to give her the taxi free of charges, but the lady wanted the pants to be opicked up in the minute, she did not understand we have to call the laundry, they have to come and pick up the pants and then they will deliver it back. She was really an uncompromising person.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lisbon Falls, Maine
Reviewed October 19, 2012

One of the best places we stayed at in Lima...very clean and close to Kennedy Park.. Safe area next to lots of great restaurants and shopping. Plenty of hot water for a shower which is more than I can say about the other places we stayed!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Italy
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I do recommend it even though it is in Miraflores, 9 km far from the city centre.
It is a good choice after 3 weeks of no comfort: no hot showers, no cleanness, etc, so the last days of our stay we aimed to have what we avoided to have, in order to save money.
Good breakfast; Clean bed and breakfast.
I would probably avoid Miraflores, now that I saw it, because it doesn't seem to be in Peru. It probably seems to be in EU, and all the prices recall it too.
Anyway, the bed and breakfast was a good solution to discover a different part of Lima.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toyonaka-shi, Osaka, Japan
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I don't speak English and Spanish.
But Employees explained hard until I could understand.
Moreover, employees were waiting until I arrived at the hotel the date having changed and having arrived at the airport in Lima late at night, and the correspondence at that time was taught plainly gently.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from July 30 to August 2, 2012. I am a woman who travels alone a lot. I have come to rely on the reports of other travelers about their hotel and restaurant experiences, so I feel compelled to speak candidly and truthful about my experience at this Bed and Breakfast. First I want to say that the owner did a lot to make up for this bad experience, she didn't charge me for the night that the event happened and she moved me to an apartment that she owns for the remaining nite and paid for my transportation to the airport when I was ready to leave. Because this involves safety of others, maybe a solo woman traveler like me, I want to share what happened to me. I put personal safety over her business concerns,

I had gone out for a full day of touring and came back to my room and decided to take a nap. I slept longer than I expected and it was too late to go out so I stayed in my room reading and watching a movie on my iPad. I couldn't go back to sleep so I just laid in the bed thinking about the day that I had. I heard someone putting a key in the door to my room. I looked toward the door and the man who was the works the reception desk was standing in my room. I said "Excuse me!" He said "La luce, no preoccupe," which means, "the light, don't worry." He then reached around and locked the door, and closed it as he walked out. My cell phone was on the pillow, I checked the time, it was 1:38 in the morning. I was quite frightened. I didn't know what was going on. Why would he come into my room with a key and without knocking first? The man's name is Malaquais Vasquez.

About a half hour later, I sent an email to the owner of the hotel, I found the address on their website. I told her what happened and that I wanted to know why this happened. I stayed up all night, I couldnt sleep. There was nothing wrong with the light in my room, I did not have a light on when he came in, There is plenty light shining in my room from the light they have to light up the patio.

About 7:30 I went down to the reception area to wait for the owner. I was sitting in the reception area when the owner came in and immediately said to me that she had received my email and had figured out what happened. She told me that the couple who had the room before me (3 days ago) had come by and left the key to the room which they had taken with them. That when Malaquias saw the key he thought the room was not occupied so he thought it would be alright to sleep in the room. She said they let him sleep in the rooms when they are not occupied. I asked why didn't he knock first, she said she didn't know she would talk to him. Her story didn't make sense to me. First, that man comes on duty at 8 p.m. My room was directly over the reception desk.I had been up and moving about in my room several times from about 9:30 until 12:00 when I was just laying in the bed. He surely heard me in my room and probably thought I was sleep after not hearing me after 12. Next, the story about the key being returned by the previous occupants didn't make sense because there was other keys to my room available because the maid came in my room everyday to make the beds and clean. She said she saw my email at about 6 that morning, Why didn't she call him to find out what was going on instead of "figuring out" or guessing what must have happened? I think she was just making up a story to protect her business,

After listening to the owner tell me all she would do to make up for my lost night of sleep, I went out and returned later to pack to move to another hotel. The owner now had a different story for me. She said she had talked to the man after I left and he said that he could hear a toilet running upstairs in one of the rooms and knew that if he didn't stop the water from running there would not be enough water pressure for the third floor. She told me that he said that since the key to my room was right there he came up to see if my toilet was running. I asked the same question, why didn't he knock first. There are three rooms on that floor. My room was the middle room. Why did he choose my room to enter, without knocking, to do a toilet check. After entering, why didnt he say something about the toilet instead of saying something about a light? If stopping the running toilet was so important, why didn't he go to the other rooms on that floor also to find the running toilet? I was laying in my bed listening to the noises outside and thinking about my day when he came in. I did not hear a toilet running, certainly not in my room.

Now you judge for yourself. Whether you believe this was a misunderstanding, as the owner wants to make this out to be, or an employee intending to rob a guest of the hotel, a lesson can be learned here: when traveling, take a portable door alarm to alert you when someone is entering your room. My son gave me a door wedge that is an alarm. You shove it under or against the door and turn it on. When someone enters a siren sounds. I carried it for years when I traveled and for some reason, didn't bring it on this trip. I will never again leave home without it.

Room Tip: Bring a door alarm.
Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Queen K
chechi, Owner at B&B Miraflores Wasi Independencia, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
I own and run the hotel since November 2010, not too long time, have experience in tourism for years, but to be honest in running a hotel I am new, I am very glad to be in the position we reached in tripadvisor for the comments from the guest, most of them are good, we have critics that helps us to improve and to grow up in business. We read every critic and try to work solving these faults becoming each day experienced and ready to overcome any challenge.
I want to clarify I never lied to this passenger, just tried to be as honest as possible and of course I cannot publish the passengers e mails but if the lady request it I can get her in touch with the passengers who stayed in the same room and pass by to leave the key at the front desk the same afternoon the lady had this problem.
As I explained to her, we manage 1 key of each room in the front desk (I did not mean we dont have other copies) if the key is not in the front desk means the passenger is in the room, the person who received the key left it in the front desk (first mistake), so the night guard, thought the lady was out. If he heard or tough she was in the room as she mentions in the critic, why he would go to rob her, remember we are a small hotel, it is impossible to get in a room without making noise.
The reasons I gave the lady for why he went to his room where before I spoke with him, I told her, “I think he went there because he wanted to rest or watch TV”, I did not tell her we give them permission to do it, I just tough this was the reason. After I spoke with him I told her, he went to the room because he tough the bathroom was running, why her room? Because all the other rooms where with passengers sleeping, he saw the key and he tough the passengers was out of the room.
When he founds the lady is in the room he got scared and he only mentions the lights, because he saw the lights off and tough nobody was there.
Please understand I am not trying to deny his horrible mistake, just want to clarify the situation to let other people take their own conclusions.
This guy works with us since the beginning, there are very good comments from other passengers about him if, I fired him I will give the reason to the theory that he was robbing or trying to hurt a passenger. He has no police records, he has a wife who also works for us and a young daughter, he explained me the situation and I believe him when he said it was a terrible mistake.
I gave her the passenger all the compensations I could on the moment, even I know does not pay a night scared and without sleeping. What we are doing to avoid something like this happens again? I started to work on the Quality, skills and Management Control Manual. We hired a professional to help us to develop all the processes required to obtain a quality certification, ISO or similar. This will fulfill our goal, to be an exceptional and economic accommodation, providing safety and warmth to our guest.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We moved to this hotel after a poor nights sleep in Barranco and were relieved to be greeted by an efficient receptionist who showed us to our very clean room which faced out on to the courtyard.

We only stayed one night but found the bed to be very comfortable, the room adequately warm (in fact we used the fan at one point as we were warm) and there was little noise from outside or other residents. The wifi was the best encountered by far in south America, especially the upload speed for our hundreds of holiday pictures which we sent to the cloud server.

The only downside we felt was the Mosquitos in the bathroom which snuck into the bedroom during the course of the day. A mossie plug could probably address this problem (room 7).

Breakfast was good and location to Miaflores town was excellent. We felt incredibly safe as you are buzzed in and out of the premesis which is on a quiet but main road which also houses the Hilton Hotel, and would return again if in Lima.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pumpkin1_12
na
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night, we were hoping to pay to get the room an extra half a day but they said the didn't do that as our flight was at midnight.

Other then that hotel is located right near the main part of miraflores. Breakfast was great with bread, jam, juice and eggs. we ate right in the courtyard. Rooms are comfortable and clean with plenty of hot water.

The receptionist was really helpful and did her best to help us out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple