“Never again!! July 2012” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cirque Hostel

Cirque Hostel
Ranked #121 of 321 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Perth, Australia
“Never again!! July 2012”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Well I read the fantastic reviews, and fell for it....Hard! So before I give it to you straight, I'll let you know the good points. The Airport pick-up was great, driver was waiting for us in the airport. Took care of our bags to inside the Hostel. The staff are friendly and polite. (but 99% of peruvians are). The hot water was great 90% of the time...... and that my friends is about where it all stops! We arrived in the early evening, not a word of English as advertised (because the English speaker only works during the day), so we were just given a key and showed the door. The main stairwell that all the rooms come off is wooden so you can imagine the noise of trekking shoes stomping up & down all hours of the night. I had to go look for everything as I wasn't shown anything when checking in. The top floor has a so-called Bar (NOT) up there, this is also where the house manager sleeps!! Interesting! He will quickly get up in the morning and make bad coffee, jug of juice & a basket of breadrolls for your breakfast. The table always looked dirty and dirty dishes from other people staying there were left everywhere. I attempted to wash my cup in the "sink in the cupboard", but the sight wasn't too pleasant! The outdoor patio area is very old and shabby. The middle floor has all the rooms and shared bathroom and the ground level has a few rooms, kitchen and lounge, oh and they squeezed in a desk with an old computer for public use in there too. The room, well we requested a Twin room that turned out to be 1xDbl bed 1x bunk beds. (Glad I won the toss for the Dbl). Although the room had been swept out, I very much doubt its been mopped out and cleaned well for a very long time. Finding someones long black hair on the shower walls and floor wasn't too nice! On my 2nd attempt in desperation for a morning coffee I decided to take my cup to the kitchen to wash, YUK! is all I can say, I still can't believe people cook in there! I rinsed my cup out, but the teatowel was so dirty I wiped my hands on my clothes. As for the lounge area, well they had people sleeping in there. Then the so called courtyard outside, yeah its there, but they use that to park their car in as well as 2 motorbikes. There's also a hammock but they use that to dry out peoples clothes. The English speaker was there in the mornings, but couldn't change money into smaller notes for us, couldn't tell me where the nearest cafe/restaurant anywhere to eat place was and didn't even know that Lima has a Zoo! They hailed a cab for us for our "organised return transfer" to the airport, put all our bags in the car and were off before we realise we had no seatbelts in the back. The average speed of a cab in Lima is 120km/hr-160 or higher, so seatbelts are a necessity, not to mention an offence in Lima especially. We were stopped by police on the way to the airport, and as the officer walked towards us the cabby sped off with us still in it! So no, I would never recommend this place to anyone, ever! There are plenty of hostels around that are much better than this. This is not my first time here. So to sum it up in one word for you all.......PHOTOSHOP!! (And congratulations to their web designer- your brilliant!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HiFlyin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

The airport pickup was ready and waiting for us, as arranged earlier by Circque Hostel. The Hostel was clean and friendly. The people in charge gave good suggestions for a quick dinner. The cab driver even took me to a bank to change our money...no charge. We felt comfortable taking the bus everywhere we wanted to go. They gave excellent directions and knew which numbers to watch for coming and going.

The room had a full bath, and the water was HOT always. The other people staying there were friendly and helpful with information of where they had been. What a great way to start off in Lima.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vacationista10
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I like places with character. If you are looking for anonymous "yes sir" meat factory luxury hotel this is not the address. Cirque is a simple yet very charismatic place in safe part of Lima (Miraflores). The staff is fantastic.
The rooms - this is a hostel, but the rooms are spacious, clean and nice views. You can rent a private room with private bathroom. I stay in high profile places too but I would not hesitate to come to Cirque again - I felt at home!
The terrace is lovely, great place to start your day.

Lima - Miraflores (beach, restaurants etc) is in walking distance (or 2 USdollar taxi ride).
Historic City Centre is 6 US dollar ride away (about 20mins).
Airport transfers - the Cirque guys will wait for you for 20 US dollars. This is more than you will pay ideally for the taxi ride but you avoid the need to take chances with unknown drivers just as you arrive. And you don't waste any time and have the pleasure to get great intro to Lima (even if you don't speak Spanish, you will understand each other if you try :).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NiceShark
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed in the Cirque Hostel on first arrival from the UK. Maybe arriving in new surroundings might make you feel a little intimidated at first, but the staff at the Cirque Hostel made you feel right at home. We were constantly asking them for the help and advice about our onward travel and all the staff were more than willing to give a helping hand in our plans. One even phoning and trying to sort all our bus tickets for us.

If we were in Lima again I wouldnt hesitate to return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ben_Yoxon
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Was there April 2012, it was a first port of call on our holiday and we returned for two nights at the end of it. Good spot, nice 20 minute walk to the centre. Take your surroundings in and memorise where you are because we failed to get a taxi driver (except Roberto) to takes us there without having to help or get dropped off a couple of blocks away. The hostel was comfortable, had hot water 24 hours a day and the staff were one of the most helpful we come across. Oh and the Internet worked. Get Kevin to make you a pisco sour, he made the best we came across in Peru and get Roberto to take you to mount Cristobal, amazing spot not covered in tourists. A foot note which would make the difference if I stayed; I left my iPod in my room on our second night and got on the bus to Nazca, I emailed the hostel and they had it and kept it secure until I returned 3 weeks later, honesty is everything, thanks guys.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rich T
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

really comfortable place, nice kitchen, computer, wi-fi, summarizing very good infrastructure... and the people are just amazingly friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maurelio
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Cirque for 3 nights and had a brilliant experience. The double room with private bathroom was lovely, clean and a good size. The location is very safe and quiet due to being a little bit further from the main hub of Miraflores. The staff were incredibly helpful and hospitable, and the breakfast was great. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012