“One amazing night in Lima deserves an amazing dinner!”

Central Restaurante
Ranked #72 of 3,627 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2016

It goes without saying that you expect an amazing meal when you go to one of the top restaurants in the world. Even with high expectations, Central surpassed my hopes. Every single course was beyond amazing! If you have the inclination, I would strongly recommend doing the wine pairing as it truly brought out all of the flavors, both of the foods and the wine. The service was impeccable and it was incredibly entertaining to watch all the chefs "do their thing" through the window. All topped off with a peak and picture in the kitchen. All in all, if you can get a reservation, you absolutely have to visit!

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (3,249)

Reviewed August 18, 2016

Beautiful place, excellent service, open kitchen, good food. Black butter and delicious bread and even a mini tour of the place when I stared asking some questions about their garden on the roof. It is a must if you are traveling through lima.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed August 17, 2016 via mobile

Great experience. Food was creative, experimental and technics used impeccable... We went for the 18 course elevation menu. Felt full is an under statement... We did the wine pairing, which I would probably not do again or recommend.

The biggest let down was the service. We sat for 10-15 minutes at the start before a waiter acknowledged us to get us water or ask what we wanted to drink. Thereafter getting refills of water or service was a major struggle. Perhaps inexperienced staff or understaffed. Regardless, a shame for a culinary experience.

Reviewed August 14, 2016

We had 24 hours in Lima and managed to book lunch spot at Central having read that it has been voted #1 in Latin America. We had the 17 course Amazon tasting menu and we're blown away! The flavours were so unique and titillate our taste buds like never before. The dishes were artfully presented and paid homage to the Amazonian aspects with a smattering of Andes infusion. We were lucky enough to meet chef Virgilio Martinez and it was a real pleasure discussing the food and ingredients he used. Although 17 courses, the portions were not at all miniature so do take your time. We were so full by the time we finished but in a really good way. Having dined at The Father Duck, I would rank this a high second on my list of best meals ever!

Date of visit: September 2015
1  Thank Christopher W
Reviewed August 11, 2016 via mobile

We were lucky enough to get a booking for Central. My original booking was done months ago, and was done on website with ease. However changing your booking is not so straight forward, after various emails, back and forth with the restaurant often taken 3 days to get a response I was finally was able to get alternative date.
The restaurant has a lovely ambiance with large glass frontage looking directly into the workings of the kitchen, it's only when you see this you realise how much work goes into every service. It's also nice how they time the various sittings, both tables at either side of us were about half an hour latter, so that you are not all eating same thing at same time.
We opted for the Master Elevations menu, it's 18 courses, couple of the courses are served together so you can say it's 16 courses. The food presentation is absolutely amazing, so much detail, you will eat ingredients you have never heard of and probably won't get the chance to again, all explained well by the servers. There was a few dishes that stood out and a few that were maybe not just so good, but that is only our opinion.
Couple small issues, and I am only really pointing these out as the restaurant is number 4 in the world.
First is the service it is a little too fast, there were a few occasions when I had only put the fork or spoon down and plate was whipped away and next coarse served, between one of the courses I think it was less than one minute for next plate to arrive. I did ask for service to slow a little and they did.
Second is the water, sounds picky I know, first we ordered water no choice in bottle size was offered, we noticed others had a larger bottle so as my wife was only intending drinking water we ordered the larger bottle after the first was finished. Not quite sure why but my wife's water glass was changed, it still had some water remaining in glass, they were going to take my glass too but I said I was ok and my glass also still had water in it !! Anyway within several courses apparently we had finished this 750ml bottle too, really, I think it maybe was shared with others possibly by accident, as it just sits on a communal shelf serving various tables. We only realised it was finished when a new 750ml bottle was opened, I said we did not order this, they did however take it away. This bottle costs 32 soles , bit excessive for water, and as its not on menu you are not aware till the bill arrives. The other strange thing the water is just placed on a shelf and not in ice bucket, seems strange it not being chilled.
Neither of the above couple niggles should stop you wanting to come to this restaurant as it is definitely worth making the effort to get a table.
I was also lucky enough to get into kitchen, this offered by my waiter when I was taking photo from restaurant, very nice touch, even better all kitchen staff welcomed me in and even stopped to pose for photo including Virgilio Martinez himself, this definitely made the night special, so thank you to all the team.