“Best Meal of my Life!”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2016

It was the highlight of my time in Lima! The food was an experience and not a meal with so many layers of flavors. I was surprised that my favorite course was the clams, but it was fantastic. The staff and environment were great and for the 4th best restaurant in the world (in 2016) the price was great at close to $200. As well, the drink pairings are a must if you go there as they bring the 17-course meal to a higher level.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank 391jaclynw
Write a reviewReviews (3,248)

Reviewed July 25, 2016

Visited this restaurant several times and every time its just as good as the first time that keep me coming for more.
There is a reason why this restaurant its in the top 4 in the world . Love at the first bite :-)
Service is also impeccable.

Date of visit: March 2016
2  Thank 66jayb
Reviewed July 22, 2016 via mobile

I went to Lima on business and wasn't expecting any gourmet experience. Due to a last minute client cancellation, I was invited to dinner at Central.

Amazing experience since my friend - and inviter - was friend of the sommelier

Based on high (altitude) the menu is a revision of ancient ingredients of Peruvian food/culinary

Take the 12 dishes and 7 wine - you won't regret

Yes, it's expensive - very expensive - but a life experience . In my case a lucky night

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed July 21, 2016

Nice location, nice view on the cuisine, a bit noisy, crowdy but still, you don t need to book for a degustations menu.
The ploblem came up with the dishes: white fish uncooked enough, too much salt and burne on the veggies, waiters uncapable of having the fish done, or explaining a dish, dried bread, etc...
Did not complete the expected standards

Date of visit: August 2015
3  Thank CabeZ0n
Reviewed July 18, 2016

My husband and I were very excited to visit Central. In fact, I had expected it to be the highlight of our trip to Peru and had booked this 3 months in advance when reservations had become available. However, we were very surprised about the below average service for such a highly acclaimed restaurant, and the although the food was undoubtedly interesting and unique, the tastes did not blow either of us away.

We have never had any issues in fine dining restaurants, but here, the wait staff seemed so unenthusiastic and short about explaining the intricate dishes that it detracted from the experience. It may have been a language issue, but I would expect a restaurant at their caliber to at least have a better attitude. We were so confused about their attitudes that I had to actually watch our waiter interact with other tables, but it seems as though he treated everyone the same. The staff and hostess wasn't even at the door for a greeting when we left, which was a first time for us in any fine dining restaurant. Of course, judging a restaurant from their staff is unfair, but it did detract from the experience, and we also felt that the food focused so much on its interesting (and they were interesting) ingredients that the flavors seemed to take the back seat on many of the dishes. I am also a fan of juice pairings, but some of the juice pairings tasted like diluted herbal medicine. That being said, we did get to meet Chef Virgilio Martínez Véliz, who was very humble and kind, which was by far, the highlight of the dining experience.

I had very high expectations of Central, and although it was an interesting experience, I am surprised that it is considered the best restaurant in South America. I am glad I went, but next time, I will definitely go elsewhere!

Date of visit: July 2016