“Bad points outweigh the good , depending what you're looking for”
Review of Hostel Kokopelli

Hostel Kokopelli
Ranked #17 of 358 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Pros- 2 minute walk to Parque Kennedy, supermarket and restaurants. Very social atmosphere. Staff friendly as long as you didn't need help.

Cons- staff not helpful (like most hostels they seem to be there for the parties).
We booked a double room with private bathroom (we aren't fancy but we were on our honeymoon), the bathroom is almost private (the small window which is in the shower opens onto another balcony) and is not located in your room but across the hallway.
The hostel has an Irish pub on the ground floor and the hostel bar on the top floor (4th) so you are wedged between two drinking venues that are noisy until very late, so good luck if you want / need sleep ( we were lucky and only had to put up with it our first night owing to Christmas Eve on the second night and our departure during the third). You will also be berated if you make any noise outside the bar.

BIGGEST CON- on our last day we returned to our room to find my wife's bag had been broken into. Both doors (entry and balcony) were locked when we left and were still when locked we returned ( there were no lockers on our room or otherwise available to us) My wife had locked her bag entirely (All compartments, 3x locks) when we left, but when we returned one padlock and the entire zipper it was attached to had disappeared. When we initially raised this with staff they were very concerned, promising to find out what happened and offering to reimburse us the cost of the bag (we didn't ask , she offered) however by the end of the conversation she had convinced herself that it had been damaged (accidentally and innocently ) while staff were cleaning and told us she would speak to them And get back to us (we were on our way out for dinner), I hadn't yet told her that the room was not cleaned during our entire stay, deciding to wait for our response.
By the time we returned the only response we got was a shoulder shrug and an "I'm sorry but I don't know what happened ". The offer of reimbursement was also retracted. At this point I told her the room hadn't been cleaned, and that everything was locked when we left and locked when we got back but there was no sign of the zip or padlock in the room. Logical conclusion being someone with a key had been in there. I was offered nothing more than a blank look.
Although nothing was taken, we now have the issue of 3 more weeks travelling with a BRAND NEW ($400) bag we can't close! Cheers kokopelli!

All in all, if you're looking for a good time in a dorm go for it . The dorms look nice, communal facilities look clean and you'll have access to lockers. But if you're looking after somewhere to sleep, a secure private room or staff who might help after 3pm, look elsewhere

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Rhett J

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The only thing I found positive about this place would be the location. Other than that, I was just constantly disappointed and tired. I understood it would be noisy but it was just terribly super noisy all throughout the night - from drunker partyers to rude drivers right outside. Our room was tiny and I am still confused why our private washroom is actually in a communal area. In order to gain access to our own toilet and shower (space that screams claustrophobia by the way), we have to use two keys. I am surprised I didn't drop them into the toilet during our stay. The sinks are shared. One of them was also sad from someone's puke. Our bed was only a bit better. No puke, but I am not sure the linens were changed. I found all kinds of hairs, stains and random bits........(to make myself feel better, I am calling them random bits.)

The storage locker has no real locking system. It's actually just a small closet-space with bags all piled high and the staff with no real recollection of who you are/which bag you own. On the morning of our check-out we needed to store our bags so seeing the shelves in the closet-space made me slightly nervous but not overtly. Just dirty laundry in our backpacks anyway. But in the evening, when we returned for our bags, the shelves were gone and every bag was just flung and piled onto a dirty mattress. How ghetto! No, seriously!

On average, the staff were okay. The guy who checked us in was rude and snobby. The front desk guy the next morning was a bit friendlier. Then the girl who helped with our check-out was
neither friendly nor rude. She was just very blunt. While we were waiting for our taxi, the cleaning lady seemed really keen on mopping every inch of the ground. I guess we were in her way while we sat on the sad-looking sofa, because she gave us really mean glances and kept trying to mop closer and closer.

Anyway, location is great and so is the hot water/water pressure in the shower. That's about it for me.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Simple hostel in a good location in Miraflores. We booked a private room with private shower. The shower and toilet are not inside the room. You have to cross the hallway, which is not a big deal but worth mentioning. Staff was helpful with booking a bus trip to our next location.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Arriving jetlagged and exhausted into a place like Kokopelli had us struggling to find sleep on the 2nd/3rd floor private rooms - with the sound of kegs/equipment/whatever being dragged across the floor directly above us - which turned out to be the bar, as well as some incredibly rude guys in the room next door who wouldn't shutup.

The place quickly grew on me though, the rooftop bar is fantistic, although a little bit smoky. Breakfast is good enough, the drinks upstairs are cheap and the hostel is in a fantastic location. Temporarily finding myself a solo traveller (with a sick girlfriend stuck in bed for a couple of days) a quick trip up to the rooftop bar went from a casual beer to rooftop jams and singalongs and great stories with a bunch of people from all over the world.

Nice hostel with a great vibe, but a bit noisy at times, would have stayed longer though if we could.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Kokopelli is in a good location and even though it's located near lots of bars it's not too noisy at night. There are big lockers to store your stuff during the day and helpful staff. The only problem I had, which seriously affected my visit, is that the only place to hangout is filled with people that smoke cigarettes all day. The bar upstairs is the only place that is set up for hanging and the smoke just sits there with little ventilation. I felt uncomfortable almost the entire time and would only recommend this place to heavy smokers.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Had a great time hanging out with everyone in the hostel. Loved the decor & the idea behind the hostels name & attitude. Usually ended up at the bar in the hostel instead of going out :) You can bartend at the bar to get a free night. The t-shirts & stuff for sale in the lobby are total worth getting & are great souvenirs.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed for one night only , but I wish I could have stay longer. The staff was great. They have good information and are always willing to help. It is a great place to meet people as there is a bar. The lockers are massive. The WiFi works great. The location could not be any better: Miraflores and close to a bunch of bars and restaurants. You just don't want to leave. I am sure I will be back to this hostel as I will go back to Peru.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo