“Great Hostel - little pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostel Kokopelli

Hostel Kokopelli
Ranked #17 of 325 Specialty Lodging in Lima
New York
“Great Hostel - little pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We really liked this hostel. Its location is fantastic in the heart of Miraflores on a street full of bars, 1 street away from loads of restaurants, 2 blocks from the square, 20 mins to the parks/beaches/Larcomar. The hostel has a very cool chilled out vibe, with awesome wall art and a big bar/chill out area on the top floor. They have happy hour offers most nights, its very friendly and sociable. A great place to meet people. Our double room was small and a bit noisy as it faced the street & above a bar, but we are heavy sleepers so it didnt bother us. The private bathrooms are interesting. ITs actually one bathroom with 3 cubicles, each has a toilet and shower, sinks are communal outside. You have a key to your bathroom which other people cant use, but its really no different from a shared bathroom. All very clean and towels included. The breakfast was scrambled eggs, bread, jam and fresh juice. The main desk were friendly but not overly helpful with suggestions/advice. They were generally snowed with people arriving/leaving. It was a very busy/popular hostel. Im glad we stayed here and would definitely recommend it, but if you're on a budget and thats your priority there will be cheaper places to stay im sure. If your priority is to meet people this is a great option.

Room Tip: I think most rooms are street facing, so bring ear plugs if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in a 4 bed dormitory. The beds were good and the lockers were huge! Good vibe in the place and a great rooftop bar. The location of the hostel is great, just a few blocks from parque Kenedy in the Miraflores district of Lima.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

The front desk staff are really helpful and friendly, as are the bar staff on the top floor.

Rooms are large and the lockers are HUGE (I could fit my whole backpack lying down on one shelf and lay out toiletries and laptop on the other - and there was a power socket IN the locker to securely charge my laptop while I slept!!)

The mattress was nice and firm (and new), wi-fi is pretty fast and the upstairs bar is a great area to hang out.

Only complaint is that the eggs and fruit-juice in the free breakfast "run out" every day at 10am even though they advertise that breakfast is until midday (why not just make more!?).

Also, the tour desk seems only interested in selling you on busses etc where they get a commission, eg I wanted to go to Chachapoyas from Lima and none of the 3 bus lines they sell go there, and the guy tried to dissuade me from using Movil Tours (who do go there directly and were totally fine) so he could sell me a bus ticket that only got me 1/2 way there.

But, overall, the hostel itself is excelllent and I'd def stay there again when in Lima.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
La Jolla, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Definitely your typical party hostel. Great location, but I felt like I was paying quite a bit for what was offered. Stingy breakfast with a lady giving you one piece of bread. Had to pay more for anything else. But they did help us book a bus which was nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was traveling by myself through Peru. Came right away from Zürich to the Kokopelli which is in the middle of Miraflores. I choose a girls dorm (6 bed) and had the best time ever. The stuff is very very helpful they booked 3 trips for me which was perfect. Every night there is something going on at the roof top. You are never alone. The bathroom which you share is not so clean you have a shower and a small toilet You have safe boxes which I suggest, to bring your own locker. The door is often open so if you have really expensive stuff better to take it with you. During the night (since it is a party hostel) you can not sleep so well. People are coming in and out even guys. For me it was just perfect I did not look for the 5 star hotel I wanted to meet people which I did and traveled with them for a couple of days. I wanted to stay 3 nights and stayed 5! I really suggest to young people to go there and have fun.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had an ok experience at Hostel Kokopelli. It's a great hostel if you are looking for a place to drink and meet other travels who want to party. We are a thirty-something couple who probably weren't a good fit for the place. It's in a great location in Miraflores, close to great restaurants and things to do. We had a private room that was very simple, but clean with a comfortable bed. Internet worked well. Private bathroom was across the hall...not in the best condition or the cleanest, but ok. It was about $36US/night. Breakfast was simple, but good...made to order eggs, bread, jams, coffee, juice.

We had a very negative experience using their pick-up service from the airport...The cost was higher than a taxi would've been and the taxi was in terrible condition (wires coming out of the floorboard, driver reading his paper/talking on cell phone, backdoor where our luggage located about to pop open at any moment!) I highly recommend getting your own taxi, but be careful and watch for scams.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Clean, cheap and a great location in Miraflores. The staff also went out of there way to help me with my trip. I don't speak a ton of Spanish and couldn't find any info on the internet on how to book buses to Huacachina for sand boarding. These guys booked all of it for me and were very responsive by email weeks before my trip. We also stopped by there before we stayed and they let us leave half our luggage with them while we went to the desert for a week.

The hostal is nice, seemed somewhat new and has a good vibe if you're looking to have fun. On the downside it can be a bit noisy and I booked a private room with a private bath but the bathroom is not in the room. It's down the hall and you get a key to a private toilet and shower but you used the shared sink. It's not a big deal but something that should be stated before you book because that's weird (to Americans at least). Overall though, a good experience!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple