“Modern Hotel but Very Noisy!”

3B Barranco's - Chic and Basic - B&B
Ranked #1 of 327 Lima B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2010

This is a small modern hotel, there's about 15 rooms. The hotel is located in the residential area of Barranco, right on the border with Miraflores. The hotel does not face the ocean, but that's less than a 10 minute walk away. Centre Miraflores is a 30 minute walk along the coast, but less than 10 minutes by taxi, which are reasonably priced.

Although the hotel looks new and modern, many of the buildings facing the hotel look in need of a face lift....some buildings even look abandoned half way through construction. Barranco is an eclectic area, I highly recommend at least a one night visit to the area.

ROOMS:
the rooms are small but still comparable to many chain hotels and sufficient for 2 people. Furnishings look new and the washroom was modern and clean.

2 Problems with the room:
1) they did not have air conditioner. We arrived late on a hot night. The rooms were a bit stuffy so we asked right away if they had AC, and they said they did, but they had been put away. I'm not sure if they meant to say that it had been turned off for the winter (it was May) or if they were portable ACs and had been put in storage. They said they would take care of it the next day, but it was never done. We opened the windows, and that seemed to resolve the problem, so we never really asked for the AC again.

2) Very noisy!!! The rooms are paper thin, so we could hear other guests. My friends were in the two rooms next to mine and I could hear them talking. I could even hear one of them using their electric toothbrush! This may be due to the fact that all three rooms share a small courtyard, and since our windows were open, we could hear each other. Nonetheless, it was also very noisy because of traffic outside. Even though the hotel is not located in a major street, driving and traffic in lima is crazy, goes on all night and they are not shy about honking. This all added to a very noisy room.

SERVICE
Service was excellent, very accommodating and helpful.

PROs:
- filtered water, tea, coffee available at any time
- full kitchen available to be used if you are staying in
- friendly service
- excellent value, $40 night
- breakfast included in price, breakfast is basic but made to order and very fresh

CONs:
- no Air Con
- Very Noisy
- Immediate outside area (street) is not very 'pretty' but very close to coast and park areas

Overall, I would still recommend this hotel because of the value, but keep in mind you may need earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank SSRESS

Reviewed May 23, 2010

A true boutique hotel in Barranco. Very sleek design and a great artistic edge. I really admire the architecture of the place. Nice size rooms with a great bathroom. The whole staff was super friendly and they made the best eggs for breakfast since our 10 day trip here in Peru. It has both indoor and outdoor common areas. Taxi to central Lima will cost you 13- 15 soles. 15 minute walk to Miraflores. We had the hotel hire a taxi to pick us up from the airport for $20 USD which was higher than the normal going rate but worth it so we didn't have to worry about it.

If you are lucky enough to be staying here on a Saturday, walk ten minutes to the Barranco Parque Municipal for a taste of some great locally made food. Any other day, check out all of the nearby art galleries and stop at Javier's at Bajada de Banos for fabulous lenguado a la parrilla (fish hot off the grill) on one of their five decks overlooking the Pacific ocean.

Free fast internet! The only concern is for those of you who are over 6 ft tall. The beds are a bit on the short side.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I traveled to Lima this May for a wedding and stayed with friends at 3B. The rooms are very modern and the open air design of the bed and breakfast is very welcoming. We had an amazing stay! The staff was exceptional and made sure you felt at home. Any requests we had or guidance we needed, they were always there to help. I sadly got sick in Lima during our stay and the staff went out of their way to make sure I had any medicine I needed and that I was as comfortable as possible. They were life savers! Thanks to everyone at 3B for making our visit to Lima so memorable.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We traveled all around South America for 10 weeks and stayed in a very wide spectrum of places (from budget hostels to uber-luxury hotels) and this was by far the best value. Now, when I hear the word "value" I usually imagine cheap and dirty (slightly moldy shower curtains and a musty but not quite offensive odor). That's not what I mean here.. the place is brand new and immaculately clean. And I'm a germophobic NYer. We paid around $50 US a night and they could easily be charging double that.

Overall, the staff are all really helpful and courteous. Elizabeth is REALLY great.. she went over and above to help us find a bus when we got stranded in Lima because of a strike. The only thing about the staff is that there is one porter who is taking a cut when you call a taxi.. so you get a bit overcharged. So I would recommend going out of the hotel to catch a taxi. Other than that.. the place is great and I highly recommend it.

If you're concerned about the location (because it's not in the city center) don't be. Barranco is great.. it's clean, quiet and walking distance to the ocean, restaurants and the Miraflores neighborhood. The center is only about US$5 by taxi.

P.S. There's a sandwich shop half a block away called Sandwiches Monstruos (no, not a typo).. that's not to be missed. Cheap and tasty.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank escapingamy
Reviewed February 27, 2010

There is no staff better. Anywhere. ALL reccomendations and conversations were wonderful. We really saw the best there is in the area. My husband is a Chef, all of their culinary reccomendations were better than we ever expected. CLEAN, COZY, bathroom was comfortable and clean the sleeping/living area was perfect size perfect bed to sleep in after a few days in the Amazon! Breakfast, eggs & toast cooked to order. Amazing. Free internet to connect to loved ones. There is NO DOUBT that this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2010

The staff at 3B Barranco went out of their way to help. The hostel is new with a great design. Being located in Barranco it is in a very interesting part of Lima with lots of art galleries, restaurants and bars. It is a more bohemian part of Lima and less touristy than Miraflores although Miraflores is close by.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2010

If you do not need a swimmingpool and fitness center etc. at the place where you stay (for a lot of money) then this is the place to go. I stayed there three nights. The rooms are clean, very modern and the price is great. You have wireless Internet free (works in the lobby), so you pay about on fifth of the price than if you stay at the Marriott. The location is good and safe.

The service is at least as good in a five star hotel (in which I stay when I am on business trip). The team was extremely friendly and helpful, I asked for a lot of things and the team made the research. They organized e.g. a driver for me (including a car) for a very good. price. The driver was so great: e.g. the last day I was making the tour with him until 1 a.m. he dropped me at the 3B and picked me up again at 4 o clock to go to the airport. The only problem: he did not speak English. Therefore one day the team organized for me a guide, one of the best I ever had, speking perfect english, selecting the right venues, and giving interesting information at a very reasonable price (as I had that day the driver with the car + guide). In summary: when you want to do sightseeing and you do care about money, I can hardly imagine that there is a better place to go.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo