“home away from home”

Ranked #1 of 306 Lima B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“home away from home”
Reviewed April 29, 2011

I've stayed in various hotels in Miraflores and always feel like I'm overpaying for mediocre quality. I had always stayed away from Barranco because I assumed that every hotel was of the backpacker variety (have long since grown out of that stage in my life). I heard about 3B and decided to give it a try-- incredibly happy that I did!! I will not be staying anywhere else in Lima from now on.

The location is excellent. It is in walking distance to the center of Barranco, and there are several restaurants, bars, clubs, etc., nearby. Miraflores is even in walking distance if you don't mind taking a bit more time. The path along the "malecon" is ideal for runners, and according to the hotel owner, from the hotel to Larco Mar in Miraflores is almost exactly 1 mile. There are several parks along the way that are perfect for sitting, reading a book, and breathing in the fresh air from the ocean. For farther distances, the front desk is always willing to call a taxi for you. These private taxis are a bit pricier than what you find on the street, but safety is more of a guarantee. According to the owner again, there will also be several shops opening up right across the street in May, including a coffee shop with an area for people who may want to work or read (the hotel does provide coffee 24 hrs a day, but in case you want a change of scenery...).

The best part of this hotel experience is clearly the staff. It's the kind of place where the people get to know you by name and make you feel like friends/family, rather than just another body just passing through. The front desk staff is always smiling and happy to help give directions, recommendations, etc. They are all very knowledgeable about places to go, where to avoid, etc. Most of them seem to speak enough English to help you get by even if your Spanish is a bit on the weak side. They will also call travel agencies and such to help you get info if you need. The housekeeping staff also does a great job because the place always seems spotless. In the rooms, the hallways, and seating areas everything seems really fresh. Staff also makes freshly squeezed orange juice every morning, and you can order a simple breakfast. The owner is usually on the grounds during the day, and he is very approachable.

Also, there is free wifi throughout the hotel, or if you don't want to travel with your laptop but want to just do some quick checking of email, facebook, etc., they also have an internet station. They also have basic business center services, like scanning and faxing. There is a small desk in most rooms if you plan on staying a while to get some work done. The seating area in the lobby is also great for bringing down your laptop or chatting with travel buddies. There is a little courtyard that is also nice to have breakfast on. Overall, the place combines chic modernity with the comforts of home-- I love it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hebrew first
Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Very friendly staff. Had a driver waiting for us at the airport and to take us back when it was time to leave. Pointed us in the right direction for restaurants and entertainment. I really liked the area compared to Miraflores. Lots of restaurants and bars/clubs nearby. Walking distance to lots of things in Barranco. We even made the 20 minute or so walk to Miraflores and back, which was a good way to see the city and ocean views. Definitely stay here, no need to pay more to stay in Miraflores. A taxi to Miraflores from Barranco was 5-7 soles.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank shippsy
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 19, 2011

After coming off our Machu Picchu trek and visit to Cusco we needed a hotel for a night in Lima b/c Doubletree we used prior to our trek was booked. After doing some searching of travel blogs, we came across 3B and found it had great reviews and extremely affordable. I wrote them while in Cusco to find out availability and they reserved rooms for us right away and also set us up with transport from and to the airport cheaper than what we paid when we first came to Lima and stayed at Doubletree. 3B is such a great place to stay - clean, cool IKEA-like rooms - there was no skimping on quality at this place. The staff is extremely friendly and they also include breakfast which was great for having prices under $100/room. It was also quiet at night and their lounge area is a great chill place to hang out. They let us stay there hanging out until our taxi back to the airport at 7pm b/c we were tired from sightseeing and also allowed us a late checkout of 1pm. Highly highly recommended.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank liquidskypa
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Very nice place: Comfortable and clean rooms, super friendly staff and very nice style. Would definitely recommend this place to any of my friends!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lfaf
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I highly recommend this hotel. It is located in the Barranco neighborhood - walking distance to restaurants, shops and bars. The friendly staff helped with restaurant recommendations and taxis. I was impressed with the modern decor of the room and open air courtyard. Breakfast was fresh fruit salad, wheat toast, eggs and fresh squeezed orange juice. Our total bill was under $80 including room, tax, breakfast and roundtip airport transportation. A great value!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Live2EatFoodie
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed April 14, 2011

3B
I personaly find Barranco a lot nicer than Miraflores. If you want to check out Barranco this is the place to stay (it is also on walking distance to Miraflores). And if you don’t it might still be the place to stay. Very new hotel, stylish place with fantastic (!) stuff. Very clean and nice and stylish rooms. Great shower. On the downside my room on the first floor was a little bit noisy because it was next to the cafeteria and the lounge. I guess the other rooms are better (ask for one on the second or third floor - it wasn't that bad so I didn't even consider changing)
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: ask for room on the second or third floor
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,026 helpful votes
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I chose 3B Barranco based on Trip Advisor input and I am very glad I did. I am an experienced traveler but this was my first trip to Lima. From the I made my reservation with Elisabeth and Judith via email until the time I flew out they made my trip very comfortable.

They arranged for a driver to meet me at the airport and take me to the room and also to have a driver drop me back at the airport. While at the hotel the entire staff was very professional and friendly. The B&B is located near many good local restaurants and lovely old churches. So you can get some good cluture and eats. Also, it is a five minute stroll to the Pacific Ocean.

Elisabeth recommended a lovely cevecheria a few blocks away named Canta Rama so if you like fish this is the place to go. I also bought some local tamales from a street vendor that were wonderful.

My only input for this to be a full five start experience at this wonderful three star accomidation would be for the wireless to have enough strenght to work in the rooms. Althought I enjoyed meeting other guests when we were all out in the patio or sitting area using our computers it would have been nice to also have access in my room. As a note they also have computers for you to use in the lobby if you do not bring your own.

A note to myself would be to pay in cash so you get the best possible exchange rate. The rate of the hotel was not the best but I understand they do not want to lose out on the rate either. So, next time I will stroll down and change a bit more money so I can pay in cash.

Overall a wonderful place to stay with extremely friendly people. Gracias Elisabeth y Judith. I will most definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple