“Don't EVEN think about staying here”
Review of Hostel el Caribe

Hostel el Caribe
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lima
Hostel el Caribe
Ranked #227 of 343 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Los Angeles, California
“Don't EVEN think about staying here”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I was going to arrive at midnight in Lima and thought that I would just find a place to crash rather than waiting in the airport until my connecting flight to Cusco the next morning. I found Hostel el Caribe on the net and thought "it’s only for a few hours, how bad could it be?" I arranged to be picked up from the airport by the staff and sure enough they were there waiting! Yea! The website boasts that the place is only 5 min, which it was, in a slum. The staff couldn't have been any nicer but when I dragged my luggage up the 4 flights of stairs and entered my room I started to laugh. It was sooo bad. It looked clean enough but it made a Motel 6 look like the Crillon in Paris. Just to verify how rough the towels were I dragged one across my skin and it left visible scratch marks! It advertised hot water 24/7 which it did have, but not enough light to shave by in the morning. There were at least a hundred hairs from previous guest’s nether regions in the shower, and the bathroom mirror had been cleaned with toilet paper so there were zillions of tiny pieces of paper stuck to the mirror.
My room had sliding glass windows that lead onto a balcony that did little muffle the constant sound of traffic and people milling about outside the place. There was floor to ceiling side window facing the streetlight outside that didn't have a shade. For some reason there was a frosted glass window above the door without a shade either so the constant light from the hallway and from the street focused right on my head while trying to sleep.

There was so much noise from the other "guests" blasting music or TV that I think I may have gotten 30 minutes sleep during the 5 hours that I was there.

The free internet in the lobby didn't work while I was there.

If you have a 4 or 5 hour layover, stay at the airport.

I do have a few pictures of this place I'll post later.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank LA-Backdoc

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lima
Wyndham Costa Del Sol Lima Airport
Kurmi Hostel Lima Aeropuerto
No photo provided
Hostal Hostello
#183 of 313 in Lima

Been to Hostel el Caribe? Share your experiences!