All reviewssan isidrositting roomstaff was very friendly and helpfulwalk aroundshopping mallneighborhoodtaxiairportperukitchenettesolesdistrict
Reviewed October 2, 2010

To be honest, we really would love to keep Peru Star a secret for ourselves, but anyone traveling to Lima should know about this wonderful place. Our stay at Peru Star made our trip to Lima magical. We traveled with our 3 small children and stayed in the 2 story duplex apartment, which was perfect. The people there were incredibly helpful and friendly. Lise, the chef, was an angel. James was a gracious host with every possible tip to make our outings into the city really wonderful. Free continental breakfast each morning, free room service, wonderful food. Everything was amazingly charming. The location was convenient and peaceful in an otherwise chaotic city. We cannot speak highly enough about our wonderful experience. This will be out go to hotel every time we visit Lima, and if ever we had to move there, we'll likely try to move into the Peru Star :-) Thanks you for a great stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank AhnTheRoad
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I arrived in Peru on the 24th of September. I had no idea what to expect because i've never been to south america. I was welcomed warmly by the hotel's driver waiting for me! Even though he had to wait 2 hours while I went through customs and baggage claim, he greeted me warmly and I felt relaxed. I arrived at the hotel and signed in and got my keys and was given a small tour and was told what they offer. honestly, i didnt retain much because i just endured my first 15 hour journey and i wanted to go to sleep.
the next morning I had breakfast with one of my friends who arrived there the same night I did, but later. The breakfast was my favourite part about waking up. I love the fruit they serve in their cute little bowls. Their bread I couldn't get enough of. It was always warm when they served it to you and i always ate mine with jam :)
The hardest part about being in a foreign country - and it's pretty obvious - is the language barrier and getting around. Thankfully we were introduced to the assistant - but i thought he was atleast the manager because he had such great mannerisms - and he could speak perfect english and he was very helpful. He made suggestions about food, taught us spanish words we should know to get around and when we are out, and he even gave us the binder they have that is equipped with maps, restaurant and store descriptions. i also let him know that I had a cold sleep the night before and when my friend and i left for food, we came back to find that i had a heater and an extra, thick blanket ontop of my bed. I slept like a baby from that day forward !! both my friend and I were waiting for our boyfriends who are in the navy but time flew since we were having so much fun. when I finally got to see my boyfriend and we went out to see Peru. Sadly, we didn't like Peruvian food and when we had dinner at the hotel, we didn't want to go anywhere else. My favorite dish on the menu was the Arroz con Pollo. They even gave me the recipe for it - which i lost :( - but it was just so delicious. On the last day we had the Cuy, which is guinea pig. that was also delicious!!
After my whole trip - and a few pounds later - i landed safetly back in Canada and i lost the weight those damn chocolate put on me. But they are sooo good!!! haha

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank s_parker7
Reviewed September 23, 2010

It is my pleasure to write a review for Peru Star Hotel. We stayed there approximately 5 days and all services and our room exceeded our expectations. James, their "Concierge ", an English-Spanish speaking Stanford graduate, assisted us in every way possible to insure our time in Lima was well spent and enjoyable. He even accompanied us to the street and taught us how to safely and economically "take a taxi". We had a room with a full kitchen and it was well worth the small price difference.....the hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood but in close proximity to two "upscale" supermarkets.....we enjoy a large green salad once a day which we prepared in our room. Breakfast is served at the hotel in an outdoor patio area by two lovely young ladies.

We will stay there again and recommend the hotel to all friends who are travelling to Lima. It is excellent value and a real "gem".

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ted1004
Reviewed September 22, 2010

The hotel is a nice homey place. Our room had a little kitchen and table in addition to the bed and bathroom. The hotel grounds are very nice. There is a little central patio, a quaint restaurant, a pool, and internet (both wireless as well as a computer for you to use.)

In reading some of the reviews, even the bad ones, there were very valid points but they seemed to miss the mark. Lima iteself is a pretty sketchy place. Except in San Isidro on the main streets (where the hotel is) and main streets in Miraflores, I would take a taxi everywhere. The hotel is in a very safe area and to me that trumps being next to a bunch of bars. We had an inside room (I believe the one in the picture on the website, #11) and it was very pleasant. The floor was a little worn, but that didn't matter to me at all.

The only thing wrong was that the pool was being repainted so that it wasn't in operation. I won't hold that against them though, I understand the need for maintenance. That just means that it would be nicer for the next guest! Plus, relaxing by the pool wasn't in my plans. However, they did tell me that it would be open in a week, so as of this review, that issue has become moot.

All in all, I was very pleased. The restaurant is cozy and outdoors with great food. For English speakers, there is a gentleman there named James who has written a little primer on Lima, I strongly suggest that you talk to him. He gives you suggestions on restaurants and routes for sightseeing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ajimsojka
Reviewed September 20, 2010

In December a group of family members come to visit me in Lima and since Peru Star has received good reviews in tripadvisor I decided it would be a nice place for my family to stay. I was in contact with Peru Star by e-mail and visited the hotel to check it out. Pleased with what I saw I wrote them an e-mail to book the rooms. I received a confirmation and an instruction to pass by a few days later with a deposit of USD 150 x each of the rooms I wanted to book, in total 900 USD. When arriving to pay the deposit I was told by the staff that I could book the rooms, but that they could not guarantee that the rooms would be available in December. This seemed very strange to me because at the same time the staff told me that they had no other bookings for the week we wanted to stay and that all the rooms were available. I felt that they wanted me to pay the deposit, not giving me any guarantees. I felt disgusted by this deceitful manner in which they acted. When I did not want to make the reservation without being sure that my family members would be able to stay at the hotel, was then told to come back in November and then I could book the rooms if they were still available. But what's the point of waiting until November if the rooms are available and I am there to book them in September? This is the worst service I have ever experienced from a hotel.

If you are thinking about booking this hotel, think about: What's the point of making a reservation if the hotel won't guarantee you the rooms? This seems to me to not be a serious hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank Peruhannita
daniellelostaunau, Guest Relations Manager at Peru Star Botique Apartments Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

To our future guests and readers:

This person neither made a reservation with the hotel nor stayed at the hotel.

The reviewer visited the hotel to look at the rooms and, if she found the hotel to her liking, made a reservation for her extended family. She was very taken with our two flagship rooms. After her tour of the hotel, the reviewer requested a reservation late December 2010. We informed her we could not hold reservations for the rooms on the dates she selected due to a lack of availability. Agitated, the reviewer demanded that we accept her deposit and hold the rooms for her. However, the manager rightly refused the deposit.

It is entirely unfair to our business and future travelers that the reviewer claims that we offered her poor service, when in fact all we did was inform that we could not accommodate her party. We find the reviewer’s words and intentions extremely malicious given that our primary offense was to inform her that the accommodation she found desirable was spoken for and that she ought to check back with us in November for an update.

To future travelers: please rest assured that when you make a reservation with us, through an external website or with us directly, your reservation is guaranteed (we send out email confirmations when the reservation has been made). We are a dedicated hotel that takes its guests very seriously. We ask our future travelers to please ignore this review.

James Vaughan