“A fine place to stay but not overwhelmed in anyway.”

Peru Star Botique Apartments Hotel
Ranked #52 of 228 Hotels in Lima
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“A fine place to stay but not overwhelmed in anyway.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

The Peru Star is a nice place to stay but I wasn't as impressed as some other reviews, especially for what you are paying in Lima.

Pros:
clean rooms, wifi and a free computer, nice courtyard, pool and jaccuzi ( though closed for the winter for us), room upgrade for free, free continental breakie, staff are very polite and helpful. Room service to have your breakie in bed is a nice touch as well.

Cons:
water issues almost every day (our last day we had none at all), electricity problems one day, menu
items at the kitchen were
overpriced for the portion size, airport pickup/dropoff charges too much for the area, our friends were able to hear much activity of other guests from their rooms.

I also had a few issues with our reservation over email and having to give credit card details thru email to reserve a room.

Down the street is a French restaurant which is fantastic and I would eat at every night! Best hot chocolate ever! Another few blocks away are some fast food joints and a Star Bucks, which can come in
handy on days.

Hope that helps you in someway.

1 Thank MikeandLisha
daniellelostaunau, Propietario at Peru Star Botique Apartments Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2010
Thank you for choosing Peru Star, it was a pleasure serving you and we hope to see you again in the future. I am writing to speak to any concerns future guests might have about the issues brought up by the reviewer.

Last week, we fell victim to a little bad luck. A construction company working a few blocks away cut through the utilities that feed the block where our hotel is located. The electricity was fixed relatively rapidly (a couple of hours), but it took a full day for Lima's water utility to resume our water services. Unfortunately, this was completely out of our control. However we understand how inconvenient it was for our guests, so we offered all of our guests a 25% discount due to the water outage. This it is not a typical occurrence, and it was the first time it has ever happened at the hotel.

We have had various comments on the cost of airport transportation which I would like to address. A taxi from the airport to our hotel through Taxi Green, the secure taxi company at Jorge Chavez international airport, costs $15 per car - which is often not as cheap as our guests would expect. We, and most other hotels in Lima, do not recommend our guests use any taxi other than Taxi Green or our hotel service due to safety concerns. We charge a little more because we wait in the airport as long as it takes for you to arrive regardless of flight delays or customs issues, we carry comprehensive insurance, and we drive cars that are less than two years old.

With regards to the restaurant, we just began serving dinner in July and have received rave reviews on the quality of food served. I guarantee all of our guests that if they are not satisfied with the quality of the food, they will get their money back. Many of our guests enjoy that you can get to know our chef, customize your meals and even get the recipe to take home! Thank you for your feedback, it is very helpful as the restaurant continues to grow.

Thank you again for staying with us, we hope you had a safe trip back to Canada and that you enjoyed your time in Peru.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

We used Lima as our base for 3 weeks in Peru, staying at the Peru Star Apts 3 separate times for a total of 6 nights. We stayed in room #3 (3 nights), #9 (2 nights), and #2 (1 night). # 9 was a spectacular room, # 2 was great and #3 was good.

We felt safe walking around with young children on the streets around the hotel, even at night.

I would recommend staying on the pool side as the cooing birds are much better than the barking dogs on the other side.

The staff was fantastic, providing a warm, inviting atmosphere and suggesting local food, shopping and laundry services.

They were kind enough to store some of our gear while we traveled to Iquitos and again when we went to Cusco.

Only issue is after 6 nights, I still don’t know how the room safes work (and I've stayed in over 50 hotel rooms this year alone but these had me baffled), but when we needed to keep valuables safe the front desk was able to accommodate us. That and the fact we were their during winter so the pool was closed - would be nice to know ahead of time, but didnt affect our trip.

I would certainly recommend Peru Star to anyone who is travelling to Lima, especially with more than 3 people.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank CGB66
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Even though I am a regular user of Trip Advisor, I must admit that I usually don’t take the time to write reviews. However, I feel that I have to make an exception here because I believe that my story can be useful for other Trip Advisor’s users.
I had to go to Peru for a conference and decided to extend my stay to enjoy Lima and the surroundings. My sister-in-law was coming with me. Given that the Peru Star got so many great reviews, we felt that it would be more convenient - and cheaper! – to book an apartment there rather than to book two rooms in one of the other San Isidro hotels. The day before my departure from Canada, I wanted to check the exact address of the Peru Star. I then came across a nasty review that was saying – among others – that there were bugs everywhere including in the beds. Just THINKING about bedbugs and cockroaches is almost enough to make me become hysterical. So I left Montreal worried about what to expect. We arrived in Lima in the middle of the night. As promised, a driver was expecting us. Upon arrival, I felt that the hotel seemed very nice and tidy but still, I was concerned. Before going to bed, I checked the entire apartment, the bed (I even looked under the sheets and the mattress cover). NO BUGS. Then, after an hour in the dark, I turned on all lights to make sure nothing creepy was there. Still, NO BUGS! I was finally able to relax...
We spent 12 nights at the Peru Star hotel and it was absolutely great. The staff – everybody without exception! – was nice, warm and INCREDIBLY helpful. We appreciated the fact that it was different from typical, “sterile” hotel rooms. It rather felt as if we were staying at a friends’ place. Very very nice friends who are truly spoiling you! The place feels warm and cosy and, given that taxis are so cheap, the location is very convenient. We always felt very safe. No matter what we needed, they tried to help us in any way they could. One morning, I forgot to store my brand new iPad. It was still waiting for me upon my return, which was not the experience of one of my colleagues who got his computer stolen in his hotel room during the conference.
For all these reasons I highly recommend the Peru Star Hotel and if I ever go back to Lima, I will definitely come back in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
daniellelostaunau, Guest Relations Manager at Peru Star Botique Apartments Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to make us your first review. I can’t tell you how much your words of encouragement meant to Marcos and the family after our negative experience with the guest that you reference. We apologize for how nervous that review made you feel on your first trip to Lima. However we are delighted that we went met your needs and went beyond your expectations.

We all hope you are well and that you will join us on your next visit in Lima.

All the best,
James Vaughan
Demark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed there in the days around my birthday, and it was the best birthday present we could give to us self.
The suite was not just a suite, but more like a pent house apartment. Everyting felt nice, expensive and luxury - much more than you could expect for a 4 star hotel like this (especially if you consider the very fair price).
The staff was extraordinary kind and helpful when we needed them (taxi, luggage storing, reservations at restaurants, breakfast - which was really good - in our room, etc).
The WiFi is very fast, and works all over the building (which is unuasual, given our experience)

The location is in the ambasade-quarter, which means that we felt really safe, even after dark.
All in all, I think that we could not have found a better and more comfortable place to say in Lima.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mortenKa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

The rooms were awesome, the service was impeccable - this place is great. We stayed here on our last night in Peru, after leaving the jungle, and this was the perfect place to unwind, clean up and hit some of the nicer spots in San Isidro. The staff was incredibly helpful and courteous and bent over backwards to fulfill our requests.

This is the first hotel review I've ever written, and I'm doing so only because it is well deserved.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

I carefully read the reviews, and decided to give it a shot.

I was impressed when they immediately offered to pick me up at the airport. Then they forgot to pick me up. I was able to find their phone number and call, at which point they stated that I had forgotten to confirm with my flight time. They did, however, state that they'd have the driver there in "15-20 minutes". It took 30. When at the hotel, the receptionist repeated that it was too bad I hadn't remembered to confirm with my flight time. I flipped open my laptop to reveal the following message in response to my email with my flight information:

Dear ColoradoProf99 thanks you for your flight information, our driver will be at the
airport on August 11 th. with a white board with your name on it .

We look forward to welcoming you to Peru soon.
Have a nice and a safe flight.

Best regards:

Marcos Lostaunau.

I requested a wake-up call at 6:30am the next morning, and woke up blissful that I had woken before the phone call so that I'd have plenty of time to make it to my conference. Turns out it was 7:30am...

No biggie...then today I was trying to get some sleep in the middle of the day, and wake up at 5:30pm from loud hammering above my head (obviously renovation is going on in the room above mine, but they might as well have been in my room for how loud it was. I had read about this in a previous review, so was not super surprised. So far, an owl or something sounding like it has woken me up at 7:30am every morning. It could be the mechanical unit outside my door, but it sounds like a VERY persistent owl.

I'll update this review after my visit. I do love the friendliness of the staff and the large beutiful rooms.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank ColoradoProf99
We could not be more apologetic for the lack of professionalism on our part during your stay. We did not live up to our standards or our reputation during your time here.

To our future visitors, we did indeed miss the guest's airport transportation. Once a manager heard about the situation, the guest's airport transportation both from and to the airport was completely free. Additionally, our new member of the night staff forgot the guest's wake up call. We have since instituted a new policy to guard against the problem. This is an issue that will not exist in the future. Finally, speaking to the construction, we remodeled one of our units over the last two weeks. We did however, always respect guests’ requests to stop construction should they want to relax. As of this week, the remodeling has been finished.

To our guest, again, I deeply apologize for what transpired during your time here. We hope the rest of your time in Peru was wonderful and productive. Thank you again for staying with us, if you choose to come back to Peru, stay with us again so we can prove ourselves up to your expectations.

Marcos Lostaunau
Owner
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

The Peru Star's charming courtyards and maze of stairs and hallways give it a touch of magic. Each time I wandered in a new direction, I'd find a welcoming terrace dripping in flowers. But the real treasure is the staff -- every employee was outgoing and helpful.

Our room was beautifully appointed if a tiny bit dated. One the one hand, we enjoyed beautiful linens, the flat screen TV, stereo system and free wireless. On the other hand, we searched in vain for an outlet in the spacious bathroom.

The staff is amazingly friendly and accommodating. The hotel restaurant, only open to guests, offers a short but varied menu. Chef Liz can whip up a satisfying meal in minutes; give her a couple of hours' warning and she'll shop and cook a stunning dinner. We used the airport shuttle service in both directions. Alcias was gracious and prompt, and his sparkling van felt far safer than the motley rattling cabs we used for shorter jaunts around Lima.

The hotel's location was great for us. The San Isidro neighborhood was safe enough for evening walks, and there are several wonderful restaurants nearby, as well as two vast supermarkets where you can stock up on Peruvian food finds (the olives! quinoa granola! the coffee!)

The Peru Star has its roots as a long-term stay hotel, and I think the vibe is still one where guests feel like they are at home. Although our visit there was only two nights, I did feel instantly welcomed and at leisure at the Peru Star. It's simply a lovely place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple