“A hostel with ocean views”

Inkawasi Backpacker Hostel
Ranked #39 of 343 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Virginia
“A hostel with ocean views”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed for two nights in a private room at this hostel. My experience overall was pretty good, great location, clean bathroom and cool atmosphere. My only complaints were the following: the bed which was very stiff and it gave me back pain; one morning it was loud around the house, a lady was calling a kid named MARCO!!! very loud early in the morning and disturbed my sleep, and that because of its location being closed to the ocean it seemed a bit humid/musky in my room. Overall the hostel is very well taken care off, the common areas are nice and comfortable and the internet is pretty fast. I will probably stay again in this hostel but will most likely ask for a different room (not 304).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Miraflores is a great place to stay in Lima & this is a lovely hostal. Slightly expensive but worth it, especially if you need a break from travelling through Peru. Fabio is a quiet & very helpful owner who speaks English.

Room Tip: Some have sea views
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed 3 days at this Hostal in June 2012. Just got back from a wonderful stint in S.A. We had the greatest stay, very clean and quiet. We paid 100 soles a night for a double room, with hot showers and free breakfast (coffee, tea, buns and jam). There is a grocery store 10mins walk from the hostal and we made use of it. The owners allowed us to use the fridge and kitchen for our meals. The owner even helped out my partner in surf information and offered to help him out in lessons. Also helped us out for a ride to the airport on our lastday. Allowed a late checkout for a discounted price. EXCELLENT! There is a small book exchange in the TV room. Also, the beach cliffs are only a block from the hostal. The main squares are a 10-15min walk, but for us, that was no prob. 5 soles for a cab, or a nice walk. We walked a few times every day and had no problems whatso ever.

Our room was a bit damp, but being so close to the beach, we took it in stride. A de-humiderfied would be a nice plus, but def did not make our stay any less.

We will be coming back and will be stayin at the INKAWASi for sure! Thanks for an excellent stay!

Room Tip: Room 200 had a shower head the size of a serving plate. HUGE and hot water every night. The king siz...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed at Inkawasi after friends of friends had stayed there and had recommended it. The price was just unbeatable at $35 dollars a night (if I remember properly), especially considering the location in Miraflores. And that included breakfast. Sold!

Ok, so if you're mainly about the price - then you should go here. Can't find cheaper deal around here. It is fairly clean, rooms come with showers, there is a computer for internet downstairs. The people that come here are also other backpackers so good place to meet folks, especially around the breakfast table!

Here is my pro/con list:

Pro:
- Rooms fairly good size, bathroom included and hot water too
- Fairly clean
- Breakfast included
- Computer with internet near reception area
- Fairly safe
- They have a kitchen where you can boil tea if you want or put something in the fridge or make yourself a sandwich (there's a supermarket about 10/15 mins from here that you can walk to)
- Cheap considering location in Miraflores
- We had no issues finding a taxi near here to go around Lima

Con:
- It's near the sea so the whole room smelled really musty. The humidity had invaded every bit of the room. I have asthma so I had a really hard time breathing. I asked for another room because my room was particularly musty (even the pillows were musty) but they didn't have any other rooms and were looking at me like I was crazy when I complained about it. They just didn't care. I ended up going to another hotel because of this and they still didn't care at all. Not impressed with customer service!
- Not sure if the bed spread ever gets washed. Room kind of run down.
- Breakfast consists of coffee, bread and jam. Don't expect anything else. And you'd be lucky if you can find room around the 8-people table they have reserved for breakfast. If they run out of bread, too bad.
- Gets pretty noisy at night
- Although it's in Miraflores, it's sort of far away from main plaza and things to do in Lima even though taxis in Lima are super cheap.
- They switched the rate on me at the last minute when I checking out - I ended up paying $40 instead of $35 for a single room because they said that $35 was the internet rate and yet that's the rate they had told my friend when she booked it over the phone. They tried to confuse me by giving me the rate in Soles.
- Felt a bit like a frat house as there was a living room where a bunch of people were watching tv and smoking pot.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Lima hotels

Torino
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I only want to say one thing about this nice hotel in Miraflores; my friend forgot his wallet at the free internet point and the day after they gave him back with all credit cards, documents and money.
Do You need anything else to be sure about the safety of this place?
We paid 120 Soles a night for a spacious double room with private bathroom and breakfast included; the area all around is very quiet, in five minutes You can reach the cliffs and the beaches of Miraflores.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2012

The hotel promised airport transfer and didn't tell us that they would charge us. Which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to pay 3 times what we would have paid if we had gotten a taxi and come to the hotel by ourselves. We don't mind paying for extras as long as we are told about it in advance. No other hotel in our whole trip charged us for transfers, so we assumed this would be the case here too and it was awkward because when we landed at Lima, we were down to our last bucks. To add to that, they didn't accept credit cards when we had been told during reservation that they would! So we had to take cash advances since our ATM card didn't work! We could have afforded a much better hotel for sure with all the extras we paid on this one. To top it, the rooms were cold, the continental breakfast was no more than bread (not toasted) with butter/jam and tea using tea bags. The person at the reception was unsympathetic and is definitely not winning any awards for customer service anytime soon!

Room Tip: Carry cash if you have a reservation at this place. Plus arrange your own transfers if you do not wa...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mousam H
New York
Reviewed December 12, 2011

When arrived, I was met by Alberto who put me in a room on the 3rd floor. I had booked for 6 nights. During the first two days I decided to take a trip to Iquitos in the north of Peru for two of the six days. As I was on the computer booking the hotel and flight Alberto arrived home. He saw me and asked if I wanted a beer that he just bought. We talked for a bit, and he told me there was no need to pay for the two nights while I was gone to Iquitos. He even held my bigger bag in storage until I returned, and I took only a small one with me. I thought this was very nice of him.

Room Tip: I got my own room and shower for $30 per night