“Twin room tiny; rest of hostel good”

Red Llama Eco Hostel
Ranked #11 of 337 Specialty Lodging in Lima
London
“Twin room tiny; rest of hostel good”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed for one night for about $15 each in a twin room which was actually a sort of split bunk room a bit like a prison cell. For one night it was fine to crash - the beds were actually really comfy - and it comes with its own shower room next door which is good. The communal areas are good for chilling and chatting. The wifi is very good for South American hostels. Breakfast was good and expansions were available. There were lots of signs up saying happy hour 7-9 on the terrace or out the back but there were no signs of it happening and when I went to ask for a couple of pisco sours (advertised) the girl looked very surprised and went to see if they had any limes, which they didn't. So I'm not sure how often happy hour actually happens. But if I'm passing through Lima I'd stay there again. The location in Miraflores is superb.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ottawa
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at this hostel for 5 nights. It is well located in Miraflores and is far enough from the main streets that's its not too noisy. Breakfast are Ok and the staff are excellent. There are excellent restaurant within easy walking distance and the Metropolitana (bus system) is within easy walk (5 min) to take you downtown Lima, in the old sections. The Hostel is about 25 min. walk from the coast which is a pleasant walk where one can enjoy the beach, surf and shop at one of the most exclusive shopping centers in Lima.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is a lovely, secure, Eco-friendly hostel with friendly and helpful staff and a great calm atmosphere. The Wi-Fi is almost always great, the showers are hot, the breakfast is prompt, the kitchen and rooftop are available for guests to use and the whole place feels secure and hospitable. I stay here every time I am in Lima and it wonderful to have such kind people to come back and visit while I am here! There is only one thing they still need to add to make my stay here even more enjoyable: a nice hot espresso. Other than that, I can find no complaints here!

Room Tip: Pick the second cheapest room - it's quieter!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This review is long past overdue. I have been traveling and just haven’t had the chance. I had the pleasure of staying at the Red Psycho Llama during my stay in Lima, Peru back in November of 2012. The location was in a prime location, blocks away from the city center and the famed Parque Kennedy in Miraflores, rooms were clean, well maintained, and a decent size, water in the shower was hot, breakfast was great, internet was strong, and the prices were right, but this is not what this review is about. The staff was amazing. All their recommendations were tailor made to make my first time in Peru perfect. From their suggestions of places to try Peruvian sushi, to events, to assistance acquiring Futbol match tickets and other shows, it all was just what I needed.

The thing that stands out the most to me is what they did when nothing more was required of them. I had gotten food poisoning after taking the recommendation from someone at another hostel while staying in the sacred valley and came back to Red Psycho in the worst of shape. The manager Johann and his sister Fiorella went so far as to contact their mother, a doctor, to find out the best course of treatment, put me up in a room to rest while the medication took effect, attempted to take me to the hospital, and even contacted the airline to see if there was any way to get me on an earlier flight for no additional change. Between him and the lovely ladies that work there I couldn’t have asked for a better place to get sick in. They truly save my life that night.

These people made what could have been a horrible moment another great moment in what has become one of my greatest trips. Thank you to the staff of Red Psycho Llama.

Honorably mention to Pili for her warm smile and bubbly personality as soon as you walk through the door.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank iamGVG
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed here twice so far over the past 2 years, and never had any problems. Nice, clean rooms, friendly staff, good rates. My traveling companion agreed. We felt like it was safe there and it was a very convenient location to Miraflores and San Isidro. Also, the fresh fruit and veg market is nearby, just over the bridge. that is such a good place to buy food! Compared to other hostels I have experienced in Lima, this one was fairly quiet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Page, Arizona
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My sister and I flew into Lima to arrive about 11 p.m. so we didn't want to worry about finding a hostel. We booked the Red Psycho Llama in advance and also booked their airport pick-up service. It worked fine. The driver was great. But we realized that with booking online, we paid way too much for both the hostel and for the drive. Included breakfast was kinda weak. They did have internet available for free, that was a plus.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AzChica33
Panama City
Reviewed December 2, 2012

After getting off a flight from Miami at 6am and getting to the hostel well before check-in they were able to accommodate me early and help me plan things to do around town. The people and other guests were great and if I'm ever in Lima again I will be staying here

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo