“Very friendlly staff and excellent service”

Backpacker's Family House
Ranked #47 of 366 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I felt very comfortable in FamilyHouse, all the staff always redy to resolve all our questions and hey provide me and my girlfriend with tips and recommendations to travel safety in Peru. Plus free spanish lesson and delicious Pisco sour, Highly recommend!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick S

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my time Family house, everything works good,... the staff is friendly and helpful , good english and with all the information about good places in Lima, me and my girlfriend got 2 hours of free spanish lesson and the same day we got free Pisco Sour,delicious peruvian national drink. Pedro, the owner is excellent with a bunch of tips and recomendations. The roomwas anice and very confortable bed...many DVD, exchange book , games,etc....Miraflores is super safe and nice neighborhood surrounded of beautiful parks andthe hostelis situatedjust 2 blocks from the beach. THe staff in Family House also organize my tours in Cusco and Macchu Picchu... If you go to Lima,,,this the best choice for sure!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hostel was Lonely Planet's top choice and our expectations were quite high. We stayed at Backpacker's Family House first for one night when we arrived in We got a decent twin room. It was quite humid (the hostel is located close to the sea). We were welcomed by a nice guy who gave us information about currency exchange office, supermarket etc. When we returned from our 16-day trip in Peru, we planned to stay at the same hostel for 2 more nights. We were shown to our room. We were shocked that a random guy was sleeping there. The reception guy did not even apologize, the cleaning lady just changed the pillow case. The room was so tiny that it resembled a prison cell (the price was the same as for the previous room: 33 USD per night - I don't think it is so cheap). The light was so poor in the room that it was not possible to read a book. Wireless did not work in the room so i had to stay near the reception area. The doors were open all the time so it was freezing and i got bronchitis during my stay at this hostel. This time there was another guy at the reception. We asked how to go to food fair Mistura. First he said that it was possible to go by bus (1 sol). Then he ran after us and changed his mind: he said that we had to take a taxi. And as if by magic there appeared a "helpful" taxi driver. Probably they thought they found some dumb gringos. Quite often there was no toilet paper and no hot water in the shared toilet/bathroom. Breakfast was basic as usual in Peru: bread and jam. The hostel is located in residential area which is quite boring. The area in Miraflores near Kennedy park is lively and would be much more fun.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank annehe
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is an OK place and no more than that. Rooms are basic but clean. Bathrooms are clean and have toilet paper if a bit old. Showers are ok but there isn't that much hot water. Staff are friendly and helpful. Common areas are spacious and have comfy sofas and a tv. Kitchen is a bonus.

I think it is a little overpriced for what it is, but as it's a capital city I'm not really surprised.

Its really cold aswell as all the doora and windows are left open. Probably ok in the summer but in September its not good.

Breakfast is bread rolls with jam and butter with coffee and tea. You can have as much as you want but that is all that is available.

There is also some construction work going on over on the next block that goes from 7am - 6pm and it is loud. Not really a fault of the hostel but worth knowing if you are a light sleeper and want to sleep in.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I love this place and the staff is really nice. Everything you need you will find here. There is as well a basic breakfast included, it's not special, but a good start in the morning. When i'm going back to Lima ... I will stay here again. Wifi is ok, rooms are ok, futbolin, kitchen, outside tables, inside lounge with 42" flat screen. What else do you need?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I am a girl travelling alone and I stayed at Family house backpackers in Lima for quite a long time. The owners were lovely, they looked after me beautifully. The building is clean, the beds are comfortable and it has a great atmosphere. The staff make it a great place to be and concentrate on getting all the guests to chat with each other. The best hostel I have stayed in yet! I will miss you guys.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Excellent hostel, I feel at home, Great service and the place has a great vibe, The staff was really friendly and were an amazing resource of information as to where to go and how to get there fun atmosphere, very comfortable beds and very good breakfast Definitely recommend!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends