“It could become a habit!”
Review of L Eau Vive

L Eau Vive
Ranked #96 of 2,897 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Cercado de Lima
Reviewed May 17, 2011

When we found out that this restaurant was run by nuns we had no idea what to expect so we had to go and check it out.
Tucked away behind a very unassuming, large black door in central Lima you cannot fail to be impressed when you first go into this wonderful haven of tranquility.
Our first visit was an evening one and surprisingly it was quite quiet but the food was absolutely stunning which was what took us back one lunch time when the place was absolutely packed.
The ladies were absolutely delightful and couldn't do enough for you. The food was stunning (i.e. prawn cocktails, sole in lemon butter, huge steaks) and they served beers and wines too which was not wholly expected. The bill was a very pleasant surprise and any tip is most gratefully received and goes to help local poor people.
The whole concept and set up of getting some lovely nuns to run a great restaurant for the benefit of local poor people is just great. Go and see them!

6  Thank TartanWanderer

Reviewed January 3, 2011

A lunch at the nuns restaurant is a very pleasant experience, both for mouth, stomach and wallet. The food is excellent. There is a lunch menu of incredible 12 soles! But also a a la carte menu that is very varied- i had onion soup (fantastic) chicken escalope in port wine and mushrooms (one of the best chickens ever) and the creme caramel. House wine for 5 soles a glass! A nice limoncello for 12 soles! The service is efficient and even If all 4 dining rooms were full, the nuns did not miss a detail. One really feels welcome and after a lunch of good food and service full of warm smiles, one can just feel really happy

2  Thank Hans L
Reviewed December 27, 2010

In the heart of the "historical" district, 50 feet from San Pedro Church, surrounded by elegant balconies, this vast dining local provide a moment of charm and fine food. The nuns are from international convents, wearing the typical garb of their country, serving the table with great care, you feel so welcome. There are daily specials, prices vary, top range for fine quality selections, cocktails available, and yes, at 9:PM they sing to the Blessed Mother. All proceeds go to support the needy. NOTE: CALL FIRST, they could be closed for certain hours or for certain holidays. Well worth the visit.

3  Thank GringoAlto2000
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Dining at this restaurant was one of my favorite experiences in Peru. What an amazing find. The food is excellent, and like everything in Peru, very cheap compared to the US. Additionally, as the nuns feed the poor every day, I am really ok with whatever they charge as it is passed on to Lima’s hungry. The menu is extensive with many options for all, including vegetarians. The onion soup is the best I have ever had, hands down. The nuns are really special women, too. Highly recommended.

2  Thank jnb2375
Reviewed September 18, 2010

L'Eau Vive provided a wonderful meal and a unique experience, full of surprises. I had read that it was run by nuns who sung Ave Maria every night at 9:30. I didn't expect to sing along with them, but it was fun to do so! (They handed out cards with French and Spanish verses to follow along. One got on a livespeaker to announce the song and put on the soundtrack, and others were in the dining room with us singing.) Given the rave reviews it received from various guidebooks, I was surprised that we were one of only two tables occupied in the cavernous four-room restaurant, though the nun serving us later told us that lunch was much busier. I was surprised by the decor -- brown seventies-era steel-and-plastic chairs around steel and laminate tables carefully decorated with pastel tablecloths and contrasting napkins -- which was fine, but a contrast to the chic modernist decor of many of the pretentious restaurants around Lima catering to foodies and tourists. I was very pleasantly surprised by the food -- I ordered a prix fixe menu for 45 soles, and my sweetie ordered beef that came with these amazing puffed pastries -- which was both plentiful and delicious. And the house wine, a deep sweet berryish wine, likely a Malbec, was also a plasant surprise, and only S/.5 per cup (served in a small cylindrical glass). I was surprised that the whole operation may well have been run by four nuns, one of whom opened the door when I buzzed, another who served us, another on the loudspeaker during Ave Maria, and another who appeared during Ave Maria who chatted a bit with us afterward. (There could well have been a cadre of others in back that just didn't come out. Certainly *someone* there is a great cook!) The food was delicious, the service was gracious, the prices were *very* reasonable, and all of the proceeds go to charity -- so my main surprise was why there weren't more people there for dinner. I would highly recommend it as a refreshing contrast to the chichi foodie scene in Lima!

3  Thank morganya