“So good I went back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chala Costa Fusion - CLOSED

Chala Costa Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Barranco
London, United Kingdom
“So good I went back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

I spent 2.5 weeks in Lima in June 2012, and visited lots of restaurants during my stay. Chala was definately the best - as evidenced by the fact that it was the only one I went back to.

It's in a great location close to the nightlife district of Barranco - which is itself a short cab ride (or walk) from Miraflores.

The staff are warm and friendly, including to tourists (they have an English menu if you would prefer). But what makes the place so special is the food. I would particularly recommend the trio of cebiches appetizer, the tuna in crushed pepper with tomatos and avocado, 'Chita in su Nube' (fish cooked in it's own aroma), and for desert a banana strudel. Soooo good!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Lima, Peru
“Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Innovative cuisine, but way to expensive for the amount they serve on the plate.

Visited June 2011
Nairobi, Kenya
“Lost the touch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

I wrote a review on Chala a couple of years ago, happy about the restaurant - and also apply to then have a gourmet restaurant 3 blocks from home. Since then I have returned many times - struggling to like the place - but lately Chala just provides disappointment . It used to be a restaurant where waiters proudly presented the food and gave recommendations. I also remember once when a waiter really struggled to find a bottle of Spanish bandy for the espresso.
That was then. Now all is different. Chala Costa fusion ser es food. But they don't love food. The taste is gone. The pride for food is gone. The decoation - once elegant - is now purple. The food is ok, if one is hungry. But it's not a gourmet place any longer. The once so food loving waiters have been replaced by "while I wait to become a model I do work as waiter"types. Without any passion for food.. Such a shame for a restaurant with so great location. And so great history.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hans L
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Raw chicken and bad service!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

My husband and I went here for dinner late December 2011. The Pisco Sour was great and the location is beautiful. We had their house entrée which was good. Everything seemed set for a great night out, until.... My husband ordered the organic chicken for his main, which had a nice taste (not amazing) but it was completely raw inside. They took it back to the kitchen to cook it a little more, while I was left eating my average-tasting salmon. The chicken came back 10 minutes later without an apology from waiter or management, no discount, nothing. We left with a bad taste in our mouths (literally!) and won't be back. It is very disappointing because Lima has so so many great places to eat, and here in Barranco the location was amazing. We had heard great reviews of this place but it did not live up to our expectations.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kate R
Morristown, New Jersey
“Nice place to relax mid-afternoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Visited Barranco and found very little to do. Thankfully, we stopped at Chala's, near the Bridge fo Sighs. Sat on the outside porch and had a few pisco sours and ordered a few appetizers. It wasn't crowed and they let us take our time. Service was good, food was delicious, presentation was excellent.

Visited November 2011