“Clean, pleasant staff, good restaurant.”
Review of Amazon Apart Hotel

Amazon Apart Hotel
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Iquitos
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I like this hotel very much indeed. The staff are exceptionally helpful and pleasant. Our room was very spacious and pleasant to be in. Although Amazon Apart is on a busy road the rooms are set back, so it is very quiet and pleasant in the rooms. You can sleep very peacefully because rooms far away from the street. We could not hear the traffic at all. There is a good clean swimming pool in a patio that is very well maintained. The counter staff of Celia and Cindy were really welcoming and always greet you with a happy smile. The safety deposit here was quick, efficient and reliable. Also there is a very good restaurant attached that you can also enter from the street. What I liked was their willingness to give you any special dietary requests you have. Its the best restaurant in our opinion, in Iquitos because they are adaptable and don't insist you order from the menu only. Their flexibility was great. The food was good too. We tried other restaurants but we think Amazon Apart's restaurant was the best here. The service in the restaurant was very good. Juan the manager was very amiable. Jakson Coral who works there, was very cordial and adaptable and I was not surprised when he told me he is getting a degree in tourism hospitality or something similar. He was very helpful, efficient and his English was excellent. I strongly recommend both the hotel and the attached restaurant.
By the way the laundry service was cheap and rapid. We would put it in during the morning and always got it back the same day. The bathrooms and showers are clean and large and there was a good fridge and sink in the room with cable TV. In our South American travels this was one of the really pleasant hotels. The staff were magnificent from beginning to end and we had a great time there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank senorsolomon

Reviewed October 11, 2010

We had two stays at Amazon Apart Hotel, before and after our jungle trip, and were put in a different room each time.

The first room was a suite, with two bedrooms and three beds. The hotel's and the room's architecture is a bit odd in that to get to this room we had to both climb and descend several sets of stairs. Inside the room, the sleeping areas are tiny (the second bedroom has less than 10" of walking space between the door and the bed) but the living areas are quite large. The bedroom with the TV, where my wife and I slept, features a double bed, which was on the small side for the two of us. The kitchen in our suite has no stove, microwave or even coffee maker, so was useless aside from the big refrigerator we used to chill our beverages.

On our second stay, we were put in a regular room, and they slid two beds together to give us more sleeping space. This was the better option, as we weren't paying extra for a suite's second bedroom that we didn't use. Still, the kitchenette had nothing to cook with.

The first thing you notice about Iquitos is the incredible heat and humidity. It was aver 40 degrees C (about 105F) when we were there, with nearly 100% humidity. Luckily, the air conditioners in the rooms functioned beautifully, and walking into them was so pleasant that we hardly wanted to walk back out into the outdoor sauna. Unfortunately, the hotel's restaurant is not air conditioned, and bearing the heat in the enclosed space while eating the basic foods offered for breakfast does not bring back pleasant memories. Also, the hotel is several blocks from the center of town, and you will not want to walk, even at night, due to the heat (unless you're into sweat-drenched clothing). Luckily, catching an open-air moto-taxi is easy and cheap. Just make sure you tell the taxi the address of the hotel when you go back, because some of them haven't heard of it.

On the plus side, the hotel has excellent and friendly service. The rooms were immaculate. The TV's had plenty of channels, some in English, and an adult channel (beware if you have kids). The showers had ample hot water, not that it was needed. The biggest plus is that the air conditioners worked well.

On the minus side is the hotel's reservations system, which requires a 30% deposit in advance. For most foreigners, that's just too cumbersome to be an option. The hotel's wifi has decent coverage for the rooms and common areas, however the internet is so slow I thought I was in a time warp to 1993. It's fine for basic email and maybe a facebook message or two, but forget any real internet browsing. Skype worked on my laptop, but barely (for techno-geeks, the speedtest.net results came in at a barely-alive 0.03mbps down and 0.01 up). Also, the hotel's landline phone was out of order half the time, and could never accept a call made from back home, even during the reservation process, when I had to call the hotel's cell phone.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonathanStewart
Reviewed April 10, 2010

I have just returned from the trip of my life to the Amazon. I did not have any plans and was playing it by ear. Lucky for me I found the Amazon Hotel. I was told that they had just finished re-modeling. The rooms were spacious and clean and a very good price. When I made inquires about a River trip they were kind enough to recomend and very good tour that i enjoyed greatly, The food at the hotel was delicious. and I enjoyed my stay at the Amazon
Hotel and would recomend it to anyone

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Samantha2010
Reviewed February 23, 2010

All of Iquitos has a pretty raw feel, but the crime rate is extraordinarily low here and so a low-rent neighborhood is definitely not something to fear. Similar to hotels in New York or any European city, the entrance to the Amazon Apart Hotel can be misleading. The first impression is a simple doorway in a seemingly seedy area, but this is Iquitos!
While here, our colleagues stayed on the main square at the El Dorado and though that hotel is much larger and almost triple the price of this one, that area (only a few blocks from the Amazon Apart) is simply more touristy. Once you are inside the Apart, the tone completely changes. It is modern, clean and comfortable. The pool area has an L.A. feel to it and the rooms are simple, yet stylish. The bathrooms are impressively trendy. The staff was extremely accommodating. Do not be afraid of this working class neighborhood or it's residents! The Peruvians of Iquitos are friendly and happy to keep their visitors coming back!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank verymary
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Stayed at this hotel one night. We were thinking to stay longer but it was not what we expected. I selected the Suite because it was not so much more expensive than a normal room. First of all it was not clean, the floor hadn´t been cleaned for a long time. some part of the window was missing so all noise from the street entered the room. At 5 AM construction work started outside the window so sleep was finished. The bed is really hard and tells you "I am cheap". Dissapointed we checked out next morning thinking that this things happens. But when I arrived home I saw on the credit card bill that they charged me for two nights. Of course I have tried to contact them about this but they dont reply. Can not recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leif82
AmazonApartHotel, Manager at Amazon Apart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2010

I response to Mr. Andreas Lundberg letter. We were unaware of any problem with his credit card until we read about it in Trip advisor. At this point we had not been contacted by Mr. Lundberg regarding this problem. After reading the review we looked into the problem and sent an e-mail to him. We immediately contacted Master Card about the problem. The problem arose when Mr. Lundberg credit card could not be recognized buy our card reader. After, several tries, the card reader finally recognized his card.
Master Card told us that the card had been read twice, thus the double charge. We then told Master Charge to refund the over charge. We have conformation from MC that the refund was made to his account, and we also have a MC a letter explain the facts.
Concerning the clean, our hotel staff makes certain that every room is cleaned every day and we try to keep the entire hotel as clean as possible. We would like our guests to tell us when something is not to their liking so we can immediately correct them and make their stay with us more pleasurable.
About the window was missing and that the street noise bothered him is puzzling. Perhaps he was not aware that the windows slide closed and at first glance could appear missing. The street noise is also puzzling. The room he had was in the back of the Hotel and not exposed to the street.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

hotel is far from city center, next to Belen market very dirty and smelly, can t take a shower because water wasn t coming out, don t go by web site site description hotel is under construction... cheap but not worth it, restaurant was very dirty, didn t get our wake up call and missed our flight... enough said.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2009

I have traveled to Iquitos 8 times in the past 2 years. I go there to help kids who leave the orphanage to get vocation training. While I am there I travel on the Amazon for excitement and adventure. I discovered the Amazon Hotel on my second visit and have stayed there on all my subsequent trips. I will stay there on my next visit. The hotel is a good value. It is clean, and has a friendly staff. There is usually at least one english speaking person there at all times. I have never felt threatened anywhere in Iquitos, and I go anywhere I want alone, day or night. I have even traveled at night to Santa

Thomas, which is out in the country, alone via motorcar. During my trips I have developed many friendships and always have a good time when I am there. I have been to almost all the residential neighborhoods around Iquitos. I enjoy the food and the people. While you are there you must eat at Al Frio Y Al Fuego. It is a very romantic spot and is a must. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business