“Under Construction - Noise”
Review of Amazon Apart Hotel

Amazon Apart Hotel
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Iquitos
New York
“Under Construction - Noise”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

When I arrived, I was placed in a room on the 5th floor. The elevator does not work, so for the next 2 days of my stay, I used the starwell. There are building the 6th floor, so every morning at 8am I had construction noise from the roof, and the walls. I could not sleep fine. I requested a new room for the following day. They stated there was nothing they could do for me. I then asked for a wakeup call at 7am. The woman assured me I would get one, but did not write it down. After a night out and arriving back at 1am in the morning, I also asked the man for a wakeup call. He wrote it down in a book. I NEVER got the call. Lucky for me I still made it to my tour on the Amazon. Also, no one speaks english at this hotel.

Room Tip: Pick floors 2 through 4.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Aerire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We began our honeymoon in Iquitos with two nights at the Amazon Apart Hotel. We would recommend three or four nights as the ideal length of stay. There are other great things to do and see in Iquitos like the Hotel Tour, 4 River Tours was excellent ( 8 hours). The staff is very very nice and the restaurant has a good buffet breakfast, the service and quality of food is good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Greg M
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Everything was ok! Excelent service. The staff was very helpful all the time. Nice restaurant, very good food and a beautiful pool.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Nathanbel
Brussels
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was looking forward to staying in this hotel; but ...here are my comments:
- charming and helpful staff
- nice and trendy room decoration in most of them (not all the rooms have been renovated)
- we had 3 different rooms the same night (1/key didn't work in the first room, 2/AC was so noisy that we had the feeling of being under a B52, 3/in this room the sheet had been washed but had fallen on the ground and had some mud stains!)
- only hot water in the shower!!!
- works are being made in the building and we could hear the noise as from 5.30 am
- very poor breakfast
Very small swimming pool.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Zidet
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Since my arrival to the Hotel, their welcome was warm and gentle. Not only the administrator but almost all the staff (including the Manager) were constantly asking me if I was happy with my room, the services or if I needed anything additional. They always aproached me with a smile and the best mood. Their service and kindness were excellent.

I will recommend this hotel.

Love it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PATRICK-NOLAN
Sucre
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I like this hotel very much indeed. The staff are exceptionally helpful and pleasant. Our room was very spacious and pleasant to be in. Although Amazon Apart is on a busy road the rooms are set back, so it is very quiet and pleasant in the rooms. You can sleep very peacefully because rooms far away from the street. We could not hear the traffic at all. There is a good clean swimming pool in a patio that is very well maintained. The counter staff of Celia and Cindy were really welcoming and always greet you with a happy smile. The safety deposit here was quick, efficient and reliable. Also there is a very good restaurant attached that you can also enter from the street. What I liked was their willingness to give you any special dietary requests you have. Its the best restaurant in our opinion, in Iquitos because they are adaptable and don't insist you order from the menu only. Their flexibility was great. The food was good too. We tried other restaurants but we think Amazon Apart's restaurant was the best here. The service in the restaurant was very good. Juan the manager was very amiable. Jakson Coral who works there, was very cordial and adaptable and I was not surprised when he told me he is getting a degree in tourism hospitality or something similar. He was very helpful, efficient and his English was excellent. I strongly recommend both the hotel and the attached restaurant.
By the way the laundry service was cheap and rapid. We would put it in during the morning and always got it back the same day. The bathrooms and showers are clean and large and there was a good fridge and sink in the room with cable TV. In our South American travels this was one of the really pleasant hotels. The staff were magnificent from beginning to end and we had a great time there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank senorsolomon
Newbury Park, California
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We had two stays at Amazon Apart Hotel, before and after our jungle trip, and were put in a different room each time.

The first room was a suite, with two bedrooms and three beds. The hotel's and the room's architecture is a bit odd in that to get to this room we had to both climb and descend several sets of stairs. Inside the room, the sleeping areas are tiny (the second bedroom has less than 10" of walking space between the door and the bed) but the living areas are quite large. The bedroom with the TV, where my wife and I slept, features a double bed, which was on the small side for the two of us. The kitchen in our suite has no stove, microwave or even coffee maker, so was useless aside from the big refrigerator we used to chill our beverages.

On our second stay, we were put in a regular room, and they slid two beds together to give us more sleeping space. This was the better option, as we weren't paying extra for a suite's second bedroom that we didn't use. Still, the kitchenette had nothing to cook with.

The first thing you notice about Iquitos is the incredible heat and humidity. It was aver 40 degrees C (about 105F) when we were there, with nearly 100% humidity. Luckily, the air conditioners in the rooms functioned beautifully, and walking into them was so pleasant that we hardly wanted to walk back out into the outdoor sauna. Unfortunately, the hotel's restaurant is not air conditioned, and bearing the heat in the enclosed space while eating the basic foods offered for breakfast does not bring back pleasant memories. Also, the hotel is several blocks from the center of town, and you will not want to walk, even at night, due to the heat (unless you're into sweat-drenched clothing). Luckily, catching an open-air moto-taxi is easy and cheap. Just make sure you tell the taxi the address of the hotel when you go back, because some of them haven't heard of it.

On the plus side, the hotel has excellent and friendly service. The rooms were immaculate. The TV's had plenty of channels, some in English, and an adult channel (beware if you have kids). The showers had ample hot water, not that it was needed. The biggest plus is that the air conditioners worked well.

On the minus side is the hotel's reservations system, which requires a 30% deposit in advance. For most foreigners, that's just too cumbersome to be an option. The hotel's wifi has decent coverage for the rooms and common areas, however the internet is so slow I thought I was in a time warp to 1993. It's fine for basic email and maybe a facebook message or two, but forget any real internet browsing. Skype worked on my laptop, but barely (for techno-geeks, the speedtest.net results came in at a barely-alive 0.03mbps down and 0.01 up). Also, the hotel's landline phone was out of order half the time, and could never accept a call made from back home, even during the reservation process, when I had to call the hotel's cell phone.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple