“A true Amazon experience supporting a great cause”
Review of Tapiche Reserve

Tapiche Reserve
Ranked #7 of 50 things to do in Iquitos
More attraction details
Owner description: THE #1 place to see wildlife in its natural habitat. BEWARE: we have recently learned of local scammers selling cheap rip-off tours using our name. We are the only company that operates in our private property. Book directly through our website linked here on TA or at our office in Iquitos inside the Green Track Hostel. NEVER trust the street guides and vendors in Iquitos, for your own safety and well-being! When you sign up to go to the jungle with us, you're not just going to experience one of the purest, most pristine primary rainforests on earth. It's not just about witnessing wild animals of the air, land and water in their natural habitats, undisturbed, like you've probably never seen before. Those things are a given. But you should also know that when you visit, you are helping us protect this precious place. We can't do it without you. The Reserve is located in primary rainforest, and it is our mission to coexist with the jungle environment without disturbing its natural processes. We have ongoing efforts to save a species of river turtle known locally as taricaya (Podocnemis unifilis), which can live to 60 years of age and plays a crucial part in the region's ecosystem. We have also been monitoring our populations of red uakari monkey (Cacajao calvus), which is nearly extinct in Peru due to hunting and the destruction of its habitat. By choosing to visit the jungle with us, you are directly helping us maintain and protect these projects, the Reserve and the local people. Your presence on the trails and in the creeks shows local hunters and loggers that we are watching and patrolling the property. Your financial contribution pays for lodge and boat maintenance and the local people's salaries. Quite frankly, the area's (and Peru's, for that matter) conservation laws are few and weak. Those that do exist are not enforced, making them equal to non-existent. To add insult to injury, the government continues to support business interests over the environment, effectively turning the rainforest into a giant lumber yard/oil well. We don't get support from any other organization, government nor private, local nor international. You absolutely make a difference. We'd like to highlight two main areas of concern with regards to conservation in our area: the illegal animal trade and the illegal logging trade. Both are booming business sectors that have been deeply entrenched in the local psyche and economy for years. Yet, like all businesses, they are driven by demand. And who is doing the demanding? Tourists, clients, customers, buyers...basically you. You can help change the landscape of the market simply by making conscious decisions about what you spend you spend your money on, regardless of whether you're buying experiences, food, souvenirs or furniture. Get ready for a life-changing experience at the Tapiche Reserve!
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A true Amazon experience supporting a great cause”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

When selecting our Amazon experience we had a number of requirements we were looking for. Katoo was easily able meet these and offered much more.

1. We did not want to go to a petting zoo or have a fake "jungle" experience where animals are kept as pets to show to tourists. We wanted the real deal and we got it.

2. We wanted to be far from the city, far from other tourists and in a small group. Once out of Iquitos/Requena we saw only the staff on the reserve and local people in the villages we visited on the way or traveling on the river.

3. As much as possible we wanted our money to go directly to local people and businesses, not to a national or multinational corporation. Our conversations with Katoo confirmed that this is a local operation with the profits being used to support the reserve.

4. We didn't want the guide or any staff to feel compelled to hunt down, pester or bait animals for us tourists. During our stay no one pursued or distressed any animals. We saw the animals at the appropriate distance and always in the wild.

5. We wanted to support conservation and help promote an alternative to the habitat destruction and hunting that often occurs in this region. Again our conversations with Katoo confirmed that this is certainly his intention and he is doing all he can to promote this way of life.

6. Finally we wanted to see some awesome animals, plants and unique scenery in an amazing and beautiful place. We got this and much more!

Highly recommended. Thank you.

4 Thank suzie_somewhere
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Tapiche Reserve, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you so much pointing it all out, I really dont think it should be different. Every point you made was exactly the things that are most important to us. I hope others from the tourism industry see this and start making changes, and also that other travelers and tourists realize that this is the best way to both appreciate wildlife and protect it at the same time. Thank you again for your visit and for supporting the Tapiche Reserve.

Berlin, Germany
“Support this great project!”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The 5-day trip to the remote and beautiful Reserva Tapiche Ohara was one of the highlights of our trip through Southamerica.
Katoo, owner and guide, is more than familiar with the jungle so we learned a lot about the animals and plants we saw ("only" saw, as Katoo has principles that include not catching animals for the sole purpose of entertaining tourists). A truly great experience!
And a fair price, compared to other operators (which also do not go as far into the jungle). The food was really good as well.
Throughout the trip we felt more like part of a family than part of a tourist group.
By taking a trip to the Reserva you not only have a great experience but you also contribute a lot to the preservation of this beautiful place. Since Katoo owns the property, no hunting and tree-cutting is allowed and a lot of species have recovered or have reclaimed their niches.

We also recommend staying at the affiliated Green Track Hostel in Iquitos before and after your trip. Best breakfast so far.

Visited March 2014
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Tapiche Reserve, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Ja, Danke Ihr beiden,
It is not great just to see ? why should we catch animals, why there are people willing to hold animals for photos and worse why there are people offering such thing.
Comments like your just make it worth it all the hard work to keep the reserve the way it is now.
There is no luck involved in seeing the Real jungle inhabitants, the animals are out there, first you need skills, than you go meet them. Tourism is a way of create a alternative income to locals so they don’t have to harm the jungle to eat.
Thank you for not choosing and helping the Tapiche Reserve and the Green Track hostel to stay in Iquitos.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A awesome jungle experience!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I feel privileged having participated on my trip to the Tapiche Reserve and finally have the time to share it. I initially was looking for a place way off the tourist path where I'd be able to observe wildlife, learn about the plants, and experience true Amazon primary forest. This place did not disappoint one bit.

Upon my arrival to Iquitos, I stayed at the Green Tracks Hostel, I did pay upfront for my trip without any money issues and guides \ workers were really nice. The trip from Iquitos to the reserve takes about all day to get there. The Jungle lodge was a simple, rustic but comfortable retreat within the forest. I was very impressed with the way the lodge blended into the forest limiting its impact, and footprint on the surrounding environment, and our sleeping area truly did provide "mosquito free" sleeping conditions. Food was decent to good considering the logistics required to transport food, and the local fish we caught was truly a tasty treat!

Every morning we visited different areas of the reserve daily including the local lagoon located on the reserve (which I found out was the 2nd largest in Peru) . I saw an incredible assortment of wildlife, some I was even able to photograph with my limited experience and ability as a photographer.
One of my guides was Katoo, had quite an interesting background. Thanks to his enthusiasm and persistence in showing all the preserve had to offer, allowed me to see and experience more on this trip than I did on my many other Amazon trips combined ( see photos). Forgot to mention my other guide, Victor, who himself was a bundle of knowledge regarding the medicinal plants and had an uncanny ability to spot wildlife at incredible distances.

Being a realist, this trip did require some level of fitness, and a bit of sacrifice. Going to areas where the animals frequent is not always easy terrain and conditions can be a bit arduous; but the reward is the possibility of seeing rare and seldom seen wildlife which I was blessed to see on my trip. Aside from the marvelous things I saw, I gained personal insight, and respect watching the continuous struggle local conservationists have to face in protecting the forest, even their own property from the constant encroachment from poachers and loggers while the government simply do nothing to assist. I do hope the government finally becomes wise and sees the importance of conservation least there will be nothing left in our next generation.

PS:
I recommend in addition to the list of items recommended to bring Hydration pills, also especially if plan to stay more than 5 days, an extra pair of jungle boots.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mlemus59
Dear Martin,
At the beginning I was a bit nervous because you have been all over the jungle places around the world and I thought it would be difficult to fulfil you expectations especially in a private trip. Luckily for me you are a great outdoors person and could keep up with me. I must be honest I pushed a bit longer every activity and turned out that we had lots of great sights Like when we walked for 3 hours nonstop just to see the Giant Otters and there they were, great sight, you got your photos ( thank you for posting it) and I was so happy to see that the otter are feeling safe in the reserve and not going away. Thank you and hope to see you back soon
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best Jungle Experience You Could Ask For”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Tapiche Reserve, located a full days' journey out from Iquitos, is a pristine and well-protected part of the jungle. The remoteness has the added benefit of ensuring that the animals are free to really roam the area in complete safety, meaning that you have an extremely high likelihood of seeing a wide variety of animals in their natural habitat. I got some incredible photos on this trip :)

The accommodations at the Reserve are perfect. There are individual little homes as well as the communal rotunda in the middle, hung with hammocks. Food and transit to/from the reserve are all provided and the atmosphere is extremely welcoming.

Of note: this is not for the prissy traveler. If you can't handle a frog in your bathroom at night, this is not the place for you. That said, the facilities are great for the remoteness of them. Running water, comfortable beds and hammocks, a series of fully protected huts with mosquito nets and, best of all, immediate access to the river and the jungle.

If you want a real, beautiful jungle experience, this is the best-case scenario you could hope for.

Visited January 2014
Hi Lidia,
I was just wondering what kind of music you will make with all the jungle sounds you recorded, I would love to hear the results of it. I wish all the best luck in your Jungle NYC and with your projects.
Thank you for supporting the Tapiche Reserve and helping us to keep our dreams alive, only Nature lovers have the visions and ears (in your case specifically) that our visitors like you have.
3 attraction reviews
“The best jungle experience out of 7 jungles”
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I've been on 7 jungle trips in total in 3 months (in Colombia, Peru and Bolivia), 2 in Peruvian Amazons. Among this five Tapiche reserve is without a doubt the best tour. The most animals (many monkeys and many different species ), the thickest vegetation, the highest trees, biggest beautiful mahoganys (red and yellow), the most/biggest fish when fishing and pink dolphins everywhere (earlier tours saw none). On earlier tours we only spotted a 10 cm kaiman after a 2,5 h trip night trip, here while you are looking at many different birds close up there appears a 5 m big k-man in day light right next to the boat. The example with the kaiman describes every experience in this reserve compered to the the other jungles I've been in. The owner of the reserve has a policy to not catch the animals or cut down the threes. This is really obviously in the way the animals curiously are looking at you instead of running away as soon as they hear you. Plus you will support a good thing for the amazons by paying this trip. The long trip makes it possible to go in to the real jungle and not just the "suburbs". The guide, and owner of the land, Katoo is an amazing guide! Not only because of he's passion about the jungle but he can spot animals far away in thick three crones, smell them and hear them far away. Small signs that for any other person are non-existent. If you want a REAL jungle experience this is the place!

Visited December 2013
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Tapiche Reserve, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you for teh generous review, It is very important for us from the Tapiche Reserve( the staf and the jungle iteself) that peop0le go away feeeling they have the time worth and the experience was for life time. yu are not the first person that went to many other places and found Tapiche the best, It lays on the jungle itself. WE might not have the best accommodation, not the best trasporta, the distance some time due the weather seems too far. But fro sure better jungle is impossible to have. And that is what Tapiche Reserve is about.
Gratitude