When selecting our Amazon experience we had a number of requirements we were looking for. Katoo was easily able meet these and offered much more.
1. We did not want to go to a petting zoo or have a fake "jungle" experience where animals are kept as pets to show to tourists. We wanted the real deal and we got it.
2. We wanted to be far from the city, far from other tourists and in a small group. Once out of Iquitos/Requena we saw only the staff on the reserve and local people in the villages we visited on the way or traveling on the river.
3. As much as possible we wanted our money to go directly to local people and businesses, not to a national or multinational corporation. Our conversations with Katoo confirmed that this is a local operation with the profits being used to support the reserve.
4. We didn't want the guide or any staff to feel compelled to hunt down, pester or bait animals for us tourists. During our stay no one pursued or distressed any animals. We saw the animals at the appropriate distance and always in the wild.
5. We wanted to support conservation and help promote an alternative to the habitat destruction and hunting that often occurs in this region. Again our conversations with Katoo confirmed that this is certainly his intention and he is doing all he can to promote this way of life.
6. Finally we wanted to see some awesome animals, plants and unique scenery in an amazing and beautiful place. We got this and much more!
Highly recommended. Thank you.