“Beautiful lobby - good location”

Dorado Plaza Hotel & Business
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Iquitos
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The staff was very accomadating. The breakfast was on the gross side. However, dinner in the restauarant on the 2nd level was awesome. Need to be careful as several friends got bug bites from the hotel bed and room. Room looked ok but there were roaches in the bathroom....gross. Bed was hard. Only one elevator so used the stairs quite often...thus great workout since was on the 5th floor! rooms had beautiful wood doors but just not as clean as one would hope. However, bellman were very helpful in getting luggage to rooms!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SPGal
There are newer reviews for Dorado Plaza Hotel & Business

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed for one night on return from the Amazon. What a wonderful night. Superb service, everyone was very helpful and cheerful. Our rooms on the 5 th floor overlooking the square were fantastic. Sure there was great activity and noise going on outside, but isn't that what we travel to see events like this? The reception areas were stunning. Very tranquil inside and beautiful pool area we were delighted that we had the chance to stay there. Early morning wake up call right on time and the early breakfast buffet for very early departures was appreciated. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. We ordered room service after a busy day so we could sit and enjoy the action In the square below us. Food arrived hot and in no time.

Room Tip: If you enjoy people watching and don't mind a little noise, go for level 5 overlooking the squar...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JudyBAuckland
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We arrived late and the staff was very efficient checking all 31 guests into their rooms. The entertainment outside was very noisy so they cheerfully exchanged outside for inside rooms. The food was good and the staff very helpful. The porters did a great job bringing our luggage to the lobby prior to our departure for the Amazons and Ceiba Tops considering only one elevator. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms were very clean and well appointed with dark wood furniture.

Room Tip: Request an inside room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank drhawaii
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is definitely not a five star hotel, by any stretch of the imagination. The staff are friendly and helpful and the air conditioning in the room was great, but that's where the good bit ends. It is like stepping back to the 1970's. It's dated and the decor needs improvement. Our room smelt musty and there we cockroaches in the bathroom. I appreciate it's a tropical region but basic pest control would easily fix this. The free Wi-Fi is terrible. Breakfast each day was basic to say the least. The pool was closed one of the days we were there so never got to try but it looked fine. One other plus was the transfer bus driver found us at the airport without us having booked a transfer, so thanks for that. The price Per night was higher than all of the other hotels we stayed in Peru, which were all five star, so not worth the price.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank IrishmanabroadLondon
Reviewed September 16, 2013

After having spent 12 days at the Temple of the Way of Light in the jungle we were ready for some luxury. I am staying in a large nicely decorated room, and true, the staff is very friendly. But... I killed two cockroaches in my room, the food in the restaurant tasteless and we waited one hour for two salads and 2 grilled fish we also asked for water with slices of lime and waited over half an hour for this. The spa...we went for a manicure and pedicure, my nails are filed crooked, moreover the spa staff was dressed in shorts with tight T shirts and belly hanging out... The music in the spa was for the personnel, not relaxing for the client. The hotel is surrounded by huge antennas of all kinds and I have a headache every day. Unfortunately this is supposed to be the best hotel in Iquitos. Don't think I will ever come back here, not worth it for the money you pay... :-(

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Marina Z
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I've stayed in hostels in Cuzco and camped out in a tent in the Amazon (we brought our own compact tent despite that we paid for the cabin at the lodge), so I'm alright with roughing it for a few nights. When we returned from the Amazon, we had no plans for where we would stay the night before flying back to Lima. After walking around to many locations and being shown different rooms, I begged my husband for us to shell out the extra cash for this hotel. I was desperate for a hot shower, a comfy bed, and an American movie in English (could only go so long without comforts).

The El Dorado Plaza Hotel looks really out of place with the rest of Iquitos. I was thrown off by the fact that when I remarked to my husband that we couldn't afford the price of a basic room (719 soles for 1 night), it was then the manager told us the rooms are 40% off. Unless I get deals from Vegas hotels, I'm not accustomed to discounts on rooms like this. Luckily, we agreed to pay the $120 for the night, and it was worth it. Like other views stated, not 5 star by American standards, but compared to the hostels in the city, this one offers the comforts you're used to.

Staff are really friendly and speak impeccable English, they greet you when you walk in and are eager to meet any accommodations. Note that during the day the windows are burning up (if you touch them), but the room has A/C. I would compare this to a Sheraton or Marriott. King size bed, flat screen TV, nice lighting and spacious bathroom. The Mercedes shuttle to the airport was nice. Good breakfast too (scrambled eggs and bacon---although the bacon is Peru is different---fruits, fresh juices, coffee, omelette, etc.).

Don't compare anything in Peru---much less Iquitos---to American standards. I've realized a lot of places don't live up to what we're used to only because they don't know better, though they seem to try their best. I stayed a night in this hotel AFTER being in the jungle, so this really hit the spot. But sometimes inconveniences are just a cultural difference. In USA, I'd make some complaints. In Iquitos, this is the best you're gonna get and it's worth it (you want privacy, A/C and hot running water, don't you?

Room Tip: The view of the pool was nice. No complaints
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Juliechristine85
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Eldorado during my 3 month stay in Peru and i can't say i was impressed. Eldorado is just like a nice Holiday Inn or an AVERAGE Marriott with a lovely pool to me. The beds are comfortable and the staff are accommodating but they should be for the price. Complimentary breakfast and wifi was a plus. I spent a few nights here only because i wanted to treat myself after spending a month in the jungle roughing it. After finding a lovely hostel down the street from Eldorado, i quickly packed up my nicnacks and took a "taxi" away.
It's a hotel. Nothing especially special about the hotel in itself except after being in the jungle for so long it was nice to lay on soft sheets and take a long long hot shower minus the moen faucets. Water pressure was good.
Would i stay here again? Sure. But it wouldn't be my first choice. I've had better for less.

• Stayed: March 2013