“I came from Australia to see this place”

La Isla De Los Monos
Ranked #3 of 52 things to do in Iquitos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A cage-free rescue center in the Peruvian Amazon dedicated to the protection and conservation of abandoned and orphaned monkeys. The aim of the project is the save the life of these creatures and release them back to their original habitat.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Now I have read the reviews about Monkey Island I am even more disappointed.
I was at Ceiba Tops in Sept 2012 and asked to visit Monkey Island, a priority on my trip to South America. A friend in Australia had visited in October 2011. My request was ignored and the group encouraged to viit the Animal Rescue Station. I was not even offered another way of visiting. I offered to pay whatever.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place was awesome!! The staff care for the monkeys and provide information. I was expecting the place to be much bigger but it didn't need to be. The animals are very friendly and happy to interact and play. I would definitely go back. Someone said in another review it is not good Eco tourism. I disagree with this. The animals are not caged or held in by any fences etc so the animals could leave if they wanted but they obviously like it there with all there monkey friends. Great place!!!!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Isla de Los Monos had many fine animals and birds- but the one which got my attention was the anaconda. I am still surprised that I let them put a 4 or 5 metre anaconda on my shoulders. (But it is my favorite moment of 3 weeks in Peru!).

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Great experience but be prepared to get muddy and dirty if you want to interact with the monkeys. I loved Anthony the Spider monkey but they are all great. Take some cash with you so you can donate towards the cost of medicines etc for the monkeys. I visited twice, once was not enough. I would have kept going back but we had to leave.

1  Thank Jennie D
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I am about to embark on my 3rd visit to Iquitos in Peru and whilst I love the place it is really Monkey Island that is the main attraction. Gilberto, the owner is a lovely guy and it appears as if his personality has rubbed off on the monkeys. It is difficult to photograph South American Primates because so many of them are canopy dwellers but a visit to Monkey Island allows you to not only obtain great images but also to be able to interact with these primates and marvel at the structure of their body, witness their strength and agility. Most of the primates are very affectionate and the guides will tell you which are less predictable. The Red Howlers, Spider Monkeys and most Woolleys are quite gentle and if you examine them closely you can get a first hand experience of the strength of their prehensile tails. The place is well laid out and most monkeys roam freely which enables them to forage on the island and return to receive some supplemental food. It is usually very quiet and that means that the place does not have a kind of Disney/Theme park feel. Funnily enough I have spoken to a few travelers who do not want to visit the place because they feel that it will be artificial, which is not the case. On this trip I will be traveling with 9 other people, of which 6 come from America and 3 of us from South Africa at considerable cost, which highlights the high regard I have for the place. If you have an interest in Primates it is a must. I will visit the Island 3-4 times on this trip as my visits have been restricted to 2 visits to the sanctuary on my previous two visits to the area and I regretted not spending one visit without a camera. It is a rare experience to interact with primates in this manner.

1  Thank TonyCTCapeTown