“Magnificent!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Green Track Hostel
Ranked #22 of 75 Specialty Lodging in Iquitos
“Magnificent!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My Stay at Greentrack hostel andduring myecifically at the Tapiche Ohara Reserva was nothing other than mind blowing!

It was magnificent Katoo and Deborah made it all worth it , Long Hikes in the jungle everyday , long snoozes in brazilian hammocks in the Maloca.

The most important aspect about this Reserve is that these people have done everything from their hearts and because they genuinely care about protecting the amazon rainforest from poachers and loggers who would otherwise destroy it , and not just trying to have as many people visit the reserve as possible to make a quick buck.

I had some profound experiences during my week in the jungle among them was seeing a Boa constrictor devour a Squirrel monkey a meter away from us!

The rest I cannot mention you will have to see for yourself the Smells tastes and incredible Beauty that this Reserve has to offer , The wild life is like nowhere else as it is still Wild, although one gets the sense that some animals in the canopy are petrified of humans due to the past, the love and compassion that has been put into this Venture is like few places I have ever been to in my life.

To Katoo and Deborah and the rest of the team thank you for the warm welcome and departure and the incredible hospitality, despite.the remoteness of the reserve and sometimes the shortage of amenities in such a remote location the Greentrack Team would always make a plan to make sure you are comfortable and at home.

I will definitely visit here again above all other establishments in and around the peruvian amazon in Iquitos because it deserves the attention , this is a must do in my book s!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank IncaMatt
Murilo Reis d, Manager at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Hi Matthew, Thank you so much for your review and for your support of the hostel and the reserve. We are honored to be able to share this special place with our visitors, and we welcome you back in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed at The Green Track Hostel for about 2 weeks in July 2013. The facilites at the hostel are ideal and breakfast of fresh fruit in included and ready for when you wake up. I found this especially useful as i had to leave early in the mornings and often did not have time to prepare my own breakfast. Was also nice sitting down to breakfast with others staying at the hostel. There is a nice vibe in the place and you do not feel like you are constantly worried about your things going missing. The staff are helpful and very friendly and would sit and watch films with guests in the evening which gave the place a home feel. Made some very good friends here, it attracts a very nice chilled out crowd and would definitely recommend this place to any traveler visiting Iquitos.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank leah f
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you very much for takiing to post this review. Im very thankfull for your stay and to see ylour enthusiasm to help the local and the nature.
Grand <Saludos desde iquitos

München
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Cheap place to stay and for the price really good. Location is not the best as you need to take a motortaxi if you wanna go to the main square or walk approximately 30 min. Breakfast is great, which always has fresh fruit. Staff is very helpful and knowledgable as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sawasdee2010
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive review. We are always improving, When I was looking for a place for the hostel I chose the distance from the plaza d'Armas (7 blocks) because in a residential area with many cheap restaurants less than half of the price from the touristic area (which still in a very easy walk distance) safer and much much less noise. We are 3 blocks from the main shopping street in town and walking distance to Belen Market. Thank you again for your stay!
North America
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Pros: Good location, friendly staff, good breakfast, common area.

Cons: The room! We had a big hole on the wall (near the ceiling) to the main hallway and a big glass window below that so we could hear and see everything happening out there at night, couldn't block out the light and had no protection from the bugs.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
HI thanks for the positive coments,
I must say that the houses here are not like in USA, the "hole " you mentiuoned is nothing more than the ventilation window, and it is high on the wall (4 meters) and sealed with insect proof net.
Here in the tropics we have to use all sort of ways to ventilate the rooms, trying to save eletricity .
The glass in the window is not seethrough, Regards the light in the commom area, I always ask the people to turn it off unfurtunately not everyone is councious when they shearing and also not aware of saving energy . Every time when guest arrive I give a full tour about the hostel and expalin regards the Water, Eletricity and Kitchen but it is a hostel and I remember when I traveled before also forgot to clean and turn off the ligh left the A/C on etc.. I'm sorry for the inconvenien it might have caused to you, and thanks for the coments it helps to keep improoving
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed in May 2013 for two nights, as a part of the trip to Tapiche Ohara Reserve, also organized by Katoo (the hostel owner). Katoo is a great guy!

Very good air conditioning in the rooms with remote temperature control, powerful and pretty quiet. Staff is very friendly and helpful, WiFi is included for free (thank you, that really helps!). Close to the center of Iquitos (short walking distance). Low price. Large flat-screen TV in the lobby. Beds are very clean. Free breakfast and drinking water are provided.

About 15-20 min from the airport by taxi.

Highly recommended!

Also, make sure to visit Tapiche Ohara Reserve -- unforgettable experience!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank curious538
Thank you very much for the review, we are trying to improove every day and we are happy to sher our space with people like you.
Santa Marta, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Nice enough, quiet hostel. Generally reasonably clean & comfortable and good air-con in the rooms and communal area (also rooms without air-con, a bit cheaper). Reasonably close to central Iquitos. Helpful staff. Simple breakfast provided. A good budget option.

BEST thing about this place is the tours Katoo (hostel owner) runs to his Reserve, Tapiche Ohara (look it up on TripAdvisor - it currently has a perfect 5/5 rating from 12 reviews). Excellent trip, and the hostel is at highly discounted rates if you go on his tour as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Pieter V
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hi Pieter,
Thank you for the honest review, we still improoving and hoping to get the 5 stars as the reserve does. we have fixed the things that the others reviews mentioned. Thank you for your stay and generosity.
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I only stayed one night at the Green Track in Iquitos in their private room with my gf. I can't say I had a bad experience BUT when I made the reservation it said that I was getting a private room with a private bath and A/C. I did get the private room, but no private bath or A/C (I had a floor fan though). The bed in my private room was uncomfortable, the springs were literally stabbing me in the back. The bathroom was OK, could probably be cleaner. The reason I gave this hostel 3 stars and not 2 was because of the staff, they were really nice. They provided us with clean towels, directions around Iquitos and they even let me use their phone charger.

I was kind of hesitant of writing negative review out of a one night experience but maybe this will help the property improve as I think has lots of potential.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hello,
Thanks for telling us about the mattress, we didn't realize and we will change it. We've fixed the listing regarding the private bath and we don't have any double rooms with air conditioning yet, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for your stay and we will keep improving!