“Very good hostel”

and 1 more site!
Green Track Hostel
Ranked #18 of 90 Specialty Lodging in Iquitos
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed in May 2013 for two nights, as a part of the trip to Tapiche Ohara Reserve, also organized by Katoo (the hostel owner). Katoo is a great guy!

Very good air conditioning in the rooms with remote temperature control, powerful and pretty quiet. Staff is very friendly and helpful, WiFi is included for free (thank you, that really helps!). Close to the center of Iquitos (short walking distance). Low price. Large flat-screen TV in the lobby. Beds are very clean. Free breakfast and drinking water are provided.

About 15-20 min from the airport by taxi.

Highly recommended!

Also, make sure to visit Tapiche Ohara Reserve -- unforgettable experience!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank curious538
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you very much for the review, we are trying to improove every day and we are happy to sher our space with people like you.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Nice enough, quiet hostel. Generally reasonably clean & comfortable and good air-con in the rooms and communal area (also rooms without air-con, a bit cheaper). Reasonably close to central Iquitos. Helpful staff. Simple breakfast provided. A good budget option.

BEST thing about this place is the tours Katoo (hostel owner) runs to his Reserve, Tapiche Ohara (look it up on TripAdvisor - it currently has a perfect 5/5 rating from 12 reviews). Excellent trip, and the hostel is at highly discounted rates if you go on his tour as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Pieter V
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Hi Pieter,
Thank you for the honest review, we still improoving and hoping to get the 5 stars as the reserve does. we have fixed the things that the others reviews mentioned. Thank you for your stay and generosity.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I only stayed one night at the Green Track in Iquitos in their private room with my gf. I can't say I had a bad experience BUT when I made the reservation it said that I was getting a private room with a private bath and A/C. I did get the private room, but no private bath or A/C (I had a floor fan though). The bed in my private room was uncomfortable, the springs were literally stabbing me in the back. The bathroom was OK, could probably be cleaner. The reason I gave this hostel 3 stars and not 2 was because of the staff, they were really nice. They provided us with clean towels, directions around Iquitos and they even let me use their phone charger.

I was kind of hesitant of writing negative review out of a one night experience but maybe this will help the property improve as I think has lots of potential.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hello,
Thanks for telling us about the mattress, we didn't realize and we will change it. We've fixed the listing regarding the private bath and we don't have any double rooms with air conditioning yet, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for your stay and we will keep improving!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We changed hostel after our jungle trip to Green Track Hostel, hoping for a better experience than the hostel we were previously in. Unfortunately we experienced the same sort of thing but for twice the price.

The room was good, had a fan and the beds were fairly comfy. The bathrooms were fairly clean and provided toilet paper which is always a plus. However no soap was provided and the showers were the worst I have experienced in South America. Im all for saving water and being eco-friendly but the showers were dribbles, no power at all, it didnt get any of the dirt off us! We had better showers in the jungle!!

The kitchen is huge and has great facilities, lots of pots, pans, cutlery etc. however the positives are ruined by the amount of ants there are. EVERYWHERE! We have been in outside kitchens before and they seemed to have the ant situation under control. It made cooking very hard as whenever you put a bit of food down or even a plate, ants would be crawling over it.

Then theres the situation with the cat, which is ok (if you like cats) however I dont wish for a cat to be walking and rubbing its fur all over the table cloth where I am about to eat.

Staff were friendly but not always available - on our last day we wanted to book a car taxi rather than get a motortaxi because we had a lot of luggage and it was pouring with rain. However there was no one around in the hostel at all, so we had to walk to the place we booked our jungle trip through to order us one!! We got the feeling that if you didnt take their jungle trip, you sort of got ignored.

The place we stayed before Green Track had similar facilities (though no tv and films) plus had a very refreshing swimming pool and was half the price of what we paid at Green Track!! Try Golondrias Hostel instead for similar service but much cheaper!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
GreenTrackHostel, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Hello, thank you for the whole week you stayed here with us and for your honest review, it help us to keep improving. I'm very sorry about the shower, I wish you told us when you were here. And thank you for mentioning that it was clean, we clean the hostel every day to make sure it is clean as possible. We are happy you like our kitchen setup and will watch for the ants. We do what we can without using toxic chemicals, but when many people share a kitchen and don't always clean after, it can be difficult to control, especially because we are in the jungle.

Yes, unfortunately Leon ( the cat) is spoilt and some time he lays on the table (I don't like it as well), but we've been teaching him not to do it and we change the tablecloths. The good thing is that Leon is a natural solution to rats and cockroaches, and he is the reason we don't have to worry about that in the hostel.

Our hostel has a very good location, large rooms, reliable wifi, no hostel has a kitchen and air-conditioned commom area like us for this price, and we do help to organize taxi, we give all general information to help people to save money and time regardless if they are join our jungle tour or not. We want everyone to feel comfortable and at home in Iquitos when they stay with us, so I'm sorry for any discomfort you experienced.

Regards the pricing of the competition, it wouldn't be ethical to talk about their business practices and why we charge a bit more. We just try to provide great services and amenities for a reasonable price. Thanks again for your stay, please forgive any mistakes we may have made, and we are constantly improving to give our guests a great experience.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

A friend and I found ourselves stuck in Iquitos for 3 weeks and after moving around a lot we settled at Green Track - its a great hostel, very homely and friendly atmosphere, good breakfast - a guitar and comfortable beds - couldnt ask for more really. the owner Katoo was a great guy and Nadine cooks amazing healthy food you can buy for a reasonable price in the well equipped kitchen - a pleasure to stay there

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patrick M

Hi Patrick and Helyn

Thank you for the review, shewaring the hostel with you made it feel more homy.
Your positive vibe is conthagious. Thank you so much
katoo

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Amazing Hostel.

Clean, Friendly, Safe, Affordable, ECO-CONSCIOUS!

They have reliable wifi, cute living room and court yard, great information on the things to do in the city, clean rooms, great staff.

The owner was amazing. Opened my eyes to a lot of things going on in the country.
Very environmently aware, and that is always important to support. He is helping the people, animals and flora of this part of the world. Working to conserve this amazing place and help the people living in the Amazon.

I got a few flyers on not supporting the illegal animal trade in the city, which is actually easy to do if you are not careful! Passing them out and letting people know about the importance of the tourists impact in this area!

To the owner: I want you to know how much your work has inspired and affected me, please dont give up on what you are doing, you ARE CHANGING THE WORLD. And I can only hope to have such an impact.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

This world need more people like you that are looking beyond the picture, Thank you for coming to the Amazon and dedicating your time (and money) in conservation, There is a growing moovement in this direction, but we have to start at home, using showers, eletricity more responsably, manage our waist etc. And helping other to have a better life.
Gracias

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My friends and I stayed at Green Tracks Hostel for one night while we were in Iquitos and I am so glad we did!!

The hostel itself is great! Very clean and safe and at 25 soles, it is one of the best deals you can find. They have free wifi with a good signal that reaches to the rooms. They offer free breakfast that we unfortunately forgot about so didn't get to try. There's a cute courtyard you can sit in and also a living room area.

The people working here were the highlight of our stay. The chef was so friendly and sweet (I'm sorry I can't remember her name). The owner gave us some of the best information we received while we were in Iquitos. He is the most eco-concious man I've met and his knowledge was greatly appreciated. He owns a reserve and is passionate about conservation and low impact tourism. If you do anything while staying here, make sure to ask him for recommendations on where to go so that you can be a responsible tourist!!

-Thank you for your work. We passed out the flyers and tried to spread the information you gave us. I wish there were more people like you in the world!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends