“Confusing!!”

Ranked #20 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Iquitos
Melbourne, Australia
“Confusing!!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

After all of the excellent reviews on here we were a little confused and more than a little disappointed after our stay in Green Track, and are still not entirely sure that it's the same place? Started off well, getting picked up on arrival, and admiring the owners' passion for ecotourism. However, I'm not sure they really have much of an idea about running a hostel, and are missing some of the fundamentals that other hostels charging this price always have. Such as showers that work (without you needing to ask for the pump to be turned on), keeping toilet paper in the hostel, clean bathrooms, some pictures on the walls or comfy furniture to create a bit of atmosphere, providing a decent breakfast and emptying the bins in the kitchen. Further to this, I'm really not sure that it's so wise to advertise ahuyasca on the website, as it seemed to draw all the crazies that were there on a two week bender rather than just the merely curious, which really created a strange vibe throughout the hostel.
I wouldn't recommend booking with the hostel booking sites. Our reservation clearly stated we booked all of our nights in a double, but we spent the first night in a bunk with a fan that only fanned the bottom bed, then were moved to the double we'd booked for another two nights, and left before we were going to be moved again for a third time. This was not communicated to us prior to our stay, but one of the owners still wanted us to pay for the two nights we weren't staying as well as keeping our deposit (which was 20 dollars - over 50 soles!). This unpleasant 'conversation' made the remaining night of our stay extremely uncomfortable, and certainly means we won't be recommending this hostel to other travellers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dante_Recondo, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
As the owners of Green Track Hostel, we take negative reviews seriously, and as this is our first bad review on TripAdvisor.com, we would like to respond point by point.

Your review here, like the very similar one you left at hostelworld.com, smacks of mean-spiritedness and sour grapes, if I may speak frankly. But let me just stick to the facts of what you have said by way of criticism.

The showers work fine. Sometimes the tank runs out of water, and yes, then you have to ask someone to turn on the water pump. That is a minor inconvenience, I grant you that.

We have a daily housekeeping service. Our bathrooms and kitchen are clean and well maintained. We have nice, original artwork on the walls and I think our furniture is quite comfortable. I also think the breakfast we provide, included in the price of a room, is nothing if not generous, as some of the other reviews here on TripAdvisor will attest.

As for your issue with other guests at the hostel who are in town to do ayahuasca ceremonies, I will just quote from the other response I just wrote you on hostelworld.com, rather than repeat myself:

"(Ayahuasca) is one of many reasons that people come to Iquitos, and you will find these types of visitors in our hostel as well as every other hostel in Iquitos... if you are made uncomfortable by people seeking such an experience, I can only say that this your problem, not ours. We attract a variety of guests from all over the world, and that variety is part of what makes the hostel experience interesting, at least for a great majority of our guests. Perhaps next time you should book in a high-end hotel where you will be better assured of having total control over your environment, and you won't have to talk to anyone who threatens your comfort zone."

By the way, we do not 'advertise' ayahuasca on our website. What we do is provide reliable, unbiased information on all the different tourist activities that are popular in Iquitos, of which ayahuasca is certainly one, and we are proud to do so.

All these minor gripes aside, the real linchpin of your complaint seems to be a dispute about the details of your reservation, so let me elucidate.

Your words: "Our reservation clearly stated we booked all of our nights in a double, but we spent the first night in a bunk with a fan that only fanned the bottom bed, then were moved to the double we'd booked for another two nights, and left before we were going to be moved again for a third time."

Below I have posted your reservation details from hostelworld.com, where you made the booking:

Date Acknowledged Room Persons: Price
4th Sep '12 N/A 2 single bed 2 PEN 30.00
5th Sep '12 N/A 2 single bed 2 PEN 30.00
6th Sep '12 N/A Standard Double Bed Private (Shared Bathroom) 2 PEN 35.00
7th Sep '12 N/A Standard Double Bed Private (Shared Bathroom) 2 PEN 35.00
8th Sep '12 N/A 2 single bed 2 PEN 30.00
9th Sep '12 N/A 2 single bed 2 PEN 30.00

As you can see, you booked a room with two single beds in it for the first two nights, and then switched to a private room with one double bed, switching again back to a room with two single beds for the final two nights. And that is exactly what was provided for you when you arrived, one day late. (To your credit, you did notify us that your arrival would be delayed. That was courteous of you.)

So it appears that you are indeed confused, as your reservation clearly indicates that you booked two different types of rooms which would have required you to switch rooms, twice (not three times).

Your words: "This was not communicated to us prior to our stay, but one of the owners still wanted us to pay for the two nights we weren't staying as well as keeping our deposit (which was 20 dollars - over 50 soles!)."

We can only provide the rooms that people actually book online. If you thought you had booked a different room, well, your mistake. When you informed us at the last minute that you had changed your plans and were leaving early, we asked you to pay even a portion of the room you had booked for the last two nights, as it was too late to re-sell the room. We thought a partial payment was a good-faith compromise. But in fact, you refused, got angry, and did indeed leave without paying anything for the rooms you had booked for those nights. Hence, I suspect, the sour grapes resulting from your 'unpleasant conversation'.

What's more, the deposit of 20 dollars goes to hostelworld.com, not to us. If anyone has claim to those sour grapes, it is us! So if you want your deposit back, I invite you to write hostelworld.com and tell them that you incorrectly booked your room here and are now blaming the hostel owners for your own mistake.

Here is a lesson to all hostel owners, to collect the entire reservation amount due up front, like normal hotels do! Otherwise you can get left holding the bag when your guests change their plans.

In short, no aspect of this complaint lies with any fault of ours. I only regret that you chose to slam us here publicly on tripadvisor.com, a very influential travel website where I are now compelled to explain the whole situation in detail so that future guests reading your fact-challenged screed will not get the mistaken impression that we are not totally dedicated to attending the needs of our guests, and providing a safe and comfortable hostel at a reasonable price here in Iquitos.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hebrew first
Gistel, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed a couple of nights in the green track hostel. It`s a verry nice hostel, cleen rooms friendly people,...
I also booked a trip with green track to the jungle for four days. It`s not the cheapest option if you want to book a trip in iquitos buth it was a verry good trip. We went to a community in the jungle, had local guides as well a english speaking guide, nice people, great food, good place to stay in a house of somebody who lives in the community. We saw a lot of animals. The group was not to big (3 people)
It was a verry good experience and you are sure everybody gets the right amount of money they theserve.

I would do it again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I loved Green Track Hostel! A friend and I arrived there after having to spend a couple days dealing with a very stressful search for a stolen camera and it was the perfect place. Although we were on a budget, we were more than happy to pay the 25 soles for a dorm bed, with AC, a clean and large kitchen, a great TV room and common area, and a pretty good breakfast spread. It's a super comfortable and welcoming place.

The best part for us was certainly the staff. The owner, Caleb, went out of his way to help us figure out our situation and make us comfortable. He's an excellent guy and seems to be able to help with anything you need!

This is a great place, stay here!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dante_Recondo, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
hi Shiraz, thanks very much for giving us a review. I was happy to help you deal with the stolen camera situation, and I still hold out hope that it can be recovered.

I am glad you enjoyed your time at the hostel, in spite of that inconvenience. I am convinced that 25 soles for an air-conditioned dorm room, a price that includes wi-fi and a good breakfast, is the best deal in all of Iquitos. Of course we have private rooms as well, but for backpackers and those on a budget, I like to think we offer the best accommodation for the price in all of Iquitos.

Take care, and hope to see you back in the jungle some other time.
Bloomington, Indiana, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The owners are super nice and helpful. The Hostel is great. I stayed there for a couple of nights in July. Breakfast was really good, and I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out in the courtyard, talking with many fascinating people. I highly recommend this place to anyone traveling to Iquitos.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
hi there, thanks very much for your kind review of our hostel. I have also spent many hours out in the courtyard talking with the many fascinating people that find their way to our door. We have put a lot of work into making Green Track Hostel the kind of place that attracts interesting people from all over the world, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Also, the newest addition to our courtyard is a regulation-size ping pong table! It looks like it will be getting a lot of use out there in the maloca, by the guests as well as the owners...
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Im actually not too sure of pricing of other hostels but I thought this one was a good value. It's a little further from the plaza de Armas but not a deal breaker. The owner, is very helpful, quick to address issues and a great host. The Internet wasn't so great but not sure it was much better elsewhere. This is definitely the hostel to stay at if you love to cook. I've never seen such a well equipped, organized and clean kitchen. All around great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012
Lima, Peru
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My stay at the Green Track was most enjoyable,everyone was very friendly and helpful, the breakfasts that is included in the price was incredible !! I will return to Iquitos and again stay at the Green Track Hostel
lynn kelley

1 Thank sailh0rse
The Soul
Reviewed July 15, 2012

After spending nearly 3 months in Iquitos, towards the end of my trip I came across Green Track Hostel. What a treat! The hostel is absolutely complete. Great location, right near the center of town, QUIET (which is difficult to find in Iquitos), has a beautiful open garden with seating, tables, hammocks, a huge fully equipped kitchen, very neat and clean rooms/bathrooms (with amazing water pressure in the shower), a nice living room area with a huge TV, and although I'm not a drinker, a neat little bar connecting the front room to the open courtyard. The owners, Caleb and Katoo are really wonderful and gracious hosts making sure to attend to eveyone's needs.
I had the opportunity to take a tour to the jungle with Katoo, such a great experience. We visited a community called El Chino (about 3 hrs by boat from Iquitos) where we were received with open arms by a beautiful family who will forever have a very special place in my heart. We did an amazing jungle hike the next day where we were given a rich abundance of information regarding all the various plants and life of the jungle. On our final day we went fishing, what an incredible experience that was. All in all, my experience with Green Track Hostel was the icing on the cake to my entire trip. Thank you Green Track!

1 Thank NicoleZimm84