“Better to stay away of this superficial friendliness”

Flying Dog Hostel Iquitos
Ranked #11 of 86 Specialty Lodging in Iquitos
Munich, Germany
“Better to stay away of this superficial friendliness”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

From 10 days staying in this Hostel I had those experiences;
Day 1 (Sat. evening) to day 4:
- most of the time no toilet paper in the toilet
- no dishwashing soap for a couple of days
Day 2 (Sun. morning):
- I see that the Dutch couple, the only ones taking breakfast, found only molded bread to eat
- preparing my own breakfast (I did not know that breakfast was included, the newest Lonely Planet guide had not given the info about it) there are no matches in the kitchen, but a NOT working lighter, which can be made working by one of the 2 "magicians" of the stuff (with rubbing their burned fingers afterwards). The one asked to please make me 2 flames on the stove working, makes me only one available. When I got somewhat mad about that fact since "Full Kitchen Facilities" are promised, he spoke about saving gas.
Day 5 (Wed.):
- I return on midday from a "shaman" (referred by the Hostel stuff, the reference is most probably based on commission) heavily sick (what turned later out to be a heavy pneumonia from where I needed 3 ½ weeks and a heavy doses on penicillin to recover) after he had poured on the rainy-cool morning 15 -20litres cold flower-plant bath on my body from head to toe in spite of knowing of my already heavy cough I had caught on the boat on the Amazon for over 3 nights.
- A man of the Hostel stuff offers me in the evening (in the dorm, so I have no distrust) a massage to "help me". I had some loose cloths on, but they were just pushed aside. After turning from lying on the stomach to lying on my back, soon his fingers are on my genitals. I rejected, what didn't do anything. I had to remove his hand from my genitals. Feeling awfully weak on one hand, but seeing a chance to change the situation on the other hand I gave in to his request to give him a massage. In spite of feeling miserable, but knowing from my professional background that I can do a little massage without loosening lots of energy (see my website www.alloneness.com), I did give him on top of his cloth a bit of a massage, what I ended soon.
Day 6:
The heavy cough coming from my lungs in the night made me change from the dormitory into an individual room to not disturb constantly the sleep of other hostel guests. This man of the stuff tried in different ways "to help me" to approach me again and give me "caricias" in kissing and touching me. Really being in need of help, I just had completely to rely on my own and finally even lock my door.
Day 5 to day 9:
Every day I dragged myself once out of the Hostel to a clean and calm restaurant close-by and bought on the way back in the supermarket some basics to eat to bring them up into my room.
Day 9:
The Hostel guest to whom I have given on day 3 a big box of matches to help himself in the kitchen to lit a flame on the stove told me that the Hostel stuff borrows now the matches from him.
Day 10:
I prepared myself for flying out from Iquitos, made myself a breakfast in the kitchen of the Hostel (with my own matches). Now I found out that breakfast had been included in the price, but I had never gotten it. This would have been my fault, the administrator told me straight and rough - and I would have also "all the time quarreled" with the person who made the breakfast (see day 2, what had been just on that day). A breakfast was set in front of me, but I had just had breakfast.

Surely an experience
- to warn you not to go with any of the shamans, the Hotel stuff refers you to.
- to beware, that in spite of the capacity of speaking Spanish and English of all the stuff of the Hostel, communication in this Hostel is very superficial. If ever a Hostel guest points any tiny thing out what is not completely according to the wonderful image the Hostel stuff gives to itself, the Hostel guest is treated bad. What would have happened to me, if I would have dared to tell the administrator about the sexual molestation of one of his stuff?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MonikaMueller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

I don't know how this is ranked so far down. Staff are amazingly helpful and friendly. Clean rooms, good location. I can tend to be fussy especially with dorms and our dorm room was perfect! Would recommend this to anyone heading to iquitos!!

Stayed November 2013
Missoula, Montana, United States
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I hate to leave a bad review because 90% of our stay was really really great. Marcel is a doll, really all of the staff (save alex) was super hospitable. The rooms were clean, though very hot, common areas were very conducive to meeting new travelers, kitchen area was great. However, somewhere along the lines an error was made in the reservations. We had to cancel a previous reservation when we left on a jungle tour (they said they would charge us for the nights we were not there because we made a reservation for those days) so we had to re-reserve for when we got back. However, Alex neglected to tell us there was no space the final day of our reservation, so we were kicked out a day before our flight. All in all in wasnt a big deal, but the way he handled it, i.e. yelling, placing the blame on us, was very unprofessional and frustrating. Iquitos was packed so we had to pay an extra fee to change our flights. I would still recommend staying at Fly Dog. Just dealing with a different receptionist.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carli B

Travelers are raving about these Iquitos hotels

Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

First time at a flying dog hostel... We stayed for 2 nights after our amazon trip, welcome was really friendly and all staff spoke english well. We had a private double room which was really big on the 2nd floor. Had our own bathroom which was clean. Fan provided in room which was great.
Didn't really spend much time in the communal areas but they were big and seemed good if you wanted to socialise. Went out for dinner and the receptionist gave us a little map of the area and told us where was good and where not to go, which was helpful.
Breakfast was ok: tea/coffee, toast with jam/butter and eggs which was better than the other hostels we've stayed in where breakfast was a let down.
Location is good, really close to the plaza and food places. We didn't really explore too much of Iquitos as we didn't have enough time but there are maps and info on the walls of the hostel of things you can do besides amazon trips.
Only downside is the room wasn't cleaned which didn't really bother us except some new towels and toilet roll would have been nice.
Overall good hostel, would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Hi, I was 2 different nights at that hostel. First one was awesome, second floor with fan and alone in one shares room. Second night was terrible, I was in first floor with loads of noise by reception and all common area. Receptionist is a bear, snoring so loud. I listened inclusive using earplugs.
The staff was very friendly and Marcel is a cool guy and take care of everything. This guy save this hostel.

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have now stayed in Flying Dog hostels in Arequipa, Lima and Iquitos. Loved the one in Arequipa, really didn't like the one in Lima (to the extent that very nearly didn't come here) and love this one. Huge open airy communal space, big kitchen, good dorms and private rooms. Stayed in a private double with bathroom (90soles) and a dorm bed in a 4 bed dorm (25 soles). Both had good beds. Bathrooms are clean and good (sometimes you get hot water!). The staff are absolutely excellent- friendly, helpful and efficient. Manages to be friendly with a party atmosphere without being a "party" hostel. They have been building a bar but it wasn't quite ready to open while I was here. Is on the waterfront but seems to have fewer mosquitoes than anywhere else in Iquitos.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louise H
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Flying Dog in Iquitos before and after our 3-day tour in the Amazon. not only did they recommend a great tour group - Green Wild with the amazing tour guide Randy, but also were amazing when my boyfriend had a medical emergency on our tour. We got back to their hostel and they had a staff member assist us to the hospitals around town, translating and driving us everywhere. They were an amazing help during a very stressful time and without them we would have been completely powerless. Marcel and Wolfers are amazing warm people who from the moment we first arrived were very accommodating and helpful. We will be back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple