From 10 days staying in this Hostel I had those experiences;
Day 1 (Sat. evening) to day 4:
- most of the time no toilet paper in the toilet
- no dishwashing soap for a couple of days
Day 2 (Sun. morning):
- I see that the Dutch couple, the only ones taking breakfast, found only molded bread to eat
- preparing my own breakfast (I did not know that breakfast was included, the newest Lonely Planet guide had not given the info about it) there are no matches in the kitchen, but a NOT working lighter, which can be made working by one of the 2 "magicians" of the stuff (with rubbing their burned fingers afterwards). The one asked to please make me 2 flames on the stove working, makes me only one available. When I got somewhat mad about that fact since "Full Kitchen Facilities" are promised, he spoke about saving gas.
Day 5 (Wed.):
- I return on midday from a "shaman" (referred by the Hostel stuff, the reference is most probably based on commission) heavily sick (what turned later out to be a heavy pneumonia from where I needed 3 ½ weeks and a heavy doses on penicillin to recover) after he had poured on the rainy-cool morning 15 -20litres cold flower-plant bath on my body from head to toe in spite of knowing of my already heavy cough I had caught on the boat on the Amazon for over 3 nights.
- A man of the Hostel stuff offers me in the evening (in the dorm, so I have no distrust) a massage to "help me". I had some loose cloths on, but they were just pushed aside. After turning from lying on the stomach to lying on my back, soon his fingers are on my genitals. I rejected, what didn't do anything. I had to remove his hand from my genitals. Feeling awfully weak on one hand, but seeing a chance to change the situation on the other hand I gave in to his request to give him a massage. In spite of feeling miserable, but knowing from my professional background that I can do a little massage without loosening lots of energy (see my website www.alloneness.com), I did give him on top of his cloth a bit of a massage, what I ended soon.
The heavy cough coming from my lungs in the night made me change from the dormitory into an individual room to not disturb constantly the sleep of other hostel guests. This man of the stuff tried in different ways "to help me" to approach me again and give me "caricias" in kissing and touching me. Really being in need of help, I just had completely to rely on my own and finally even lock my door.
Day 5 to day 9:
Every day I dragged myself once out of the Hostel to a clean and calm restaurant close-by and bought on the way back in the supermarket some basics to eat to bring them up into my room.
The Hostel guest to whom I have given on day 3 a big box of matches to help himself in the kitchen to lit a flame on the stove told me that the Hostel stuff borrows now the matches from him.
I prepared myself for flying out from Iquitos, made myself a breakfast in the kitchen of the Hostel (with my own matches). Now I found out that breakfast had been included in the price, but I had never gotten it. This would have been my fault, the administrator told me straight and rough - and I would have also "all the time quarreled" with the person who made the breakfast (see day 2, what had been just on that day). A breakfast was set in front of me, but I had just had breakfast.
Surely an experience
- to warn you not to go with any of the shamans, the Hotel stuff refers you to.
- to beware, that in spite of the capacity of speaking Spanish and English of all the stuff of the Hostel, communication in this Hostel is very superficial. If ever a Hostel guest points any tiny thing out what is not completely according to the wonderful image the Hostel stuff gives to itself, the Hostel guest is treated bad. What would have happened to me, if I would have dared to tell the administrator about the sexual molestation of one of his stuff?
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, HostelWorld and Priceline so you can book your Flying Dog Hostel Iquitos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.