TripAdvisor

from $290.00
from $120.00
from $110.00
More Info
All reviews the river adriano luis civilization frogs bugs lodge wildlife knowledge dolphins jungle camping sloths guide village culture amazon
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

For me - a true disappointment, tourist trap and total waste of time and money. Only for lazy, undemanding toursists.
I took 3 days /2 nights tour, and joined a group wchich grew to 5 persons on the morning of departure, me including.
First things first, the guides - Anzelmo and Yerson (?) - were very good: knowledgeable, with sharp eyes spotting the wildlife. And this is the only good thing to tell about Jungle Reps. The rest was bad.
All the transport we had was arranged on ad hoc basis: the company rents a bus boat etc. which is currently available on the market - nothing is prearranged, so you may end up waiting for a tranport half an hour or so. The same goes for the staff: they get people to work for them on the principle who just happens to be available. No permanent staff. The staff is apparently well underpaid by the greedy company. It resulted in them asking us for a tip at the end. Quite unpleasant.
The acomodation / lodge is very basic. The lodge is run very carelessly. You have to bring your towel an soap. Western style toilets have no flush (except one, which often dies not work properly either): there is a big water bucket next to the toilets from where you are supposed to fetch the water to flush the toilets. However, these water buckets remain empty all the time, so the toilets are never flushed with water and they remain dirty all the time. They may clog with the dirt.
You have two containers with purified water: the one with cold water is rarely refilled, the one with "hot" water for tea/coffee sems to be refilled once a day so it contains only luke warm water with which you cannot make any tea/coffee. The food is very basic, simple. The problem is they do not really take care of your food restrictions. I'm a vegetarian and don't eat eggs either (which I specified on a number of occasions): almost all meals contained eggs. So hardly anything to eat for a vegetarian for 3 days.
On the last day morning, there was no more water to wash your face and hands or take a shower - the staff did not bother to pump the water up from the river (all water at your disposal comes from the muddy river).
The lodge is located on a tiny river called Paraporoto where it exits into the Ucayali river. It is very close to a village marked on the map as Libertad (3 km away). This is a tourist lodge ghetto - at least 20 other lodges are located here. It's a large village, althpugh lodges are seperated with some vegetation. So forget about any real wildlife and nature here. You have to travel for many kilometers up the tiny river to get out of this ghetto into some nature. But be sure, very few animals would venture to live any close to, or within, such a huge accumulation of tourist lodges. This has an impact on what you eventually can see here: extremely little. During night rain, the thatched roof was leaking just above my bed / head a bit. The place us very noisy: on occasions, you were disturbed by loanmowers or some kind of chain saw. The first rooster began to shriek around 4:30 am, an hour later was joined by barking dogs, which sets the limit on how long you can sleep. I don't mind (fantastic jungle sounds), but roosyers, dogs, chainsaws etc remind you this is NOT a jungle.
It may be chilly at night, but you are provided with a bedsheet only, no blanket. I felt cold at night.
The company (and the owner Luis) is primarily interested in your money, not in the service they deliver (except for the guides): they met me at the airport not to help me around and bring me to my hotel but to get my cash payment only. They did have to accompany me to to Iquitos centre eventually because I demanded a receipt: initially they wanted me to hand over my cash to them at the airport exit without any confirmation. What a greed!
Day one: from Iquitos to the lodge, it took six hours. We left at 9 instead of 8 am. Next we were taken to a local village (the main attraction on day one afternoon) to see CAPTURED sloths for which we were expected to pay extra (I refused to see it). The village features only captured wild animals: sloths, a macaw (with cut feathers so that it cannot escape) and a butterfly "farm" currently in making. It's an animal prison. This supports the pracice of eliminating the wildlife (catching wild animals) and turning the Amazonas into a big zoo/prison. Extremely unethical and destructive for the wildlife you are coming to see here. Instead you are shown an animal prison. Forget the wildlife. At night, you go up the tiny touristy river and hope to see something. But you mostly don't - after all you are still within the village limits and close to all the lodges. If the staff spots a little caiman, they cath it and bring it to a water reservoir just next to the lodge. They say it for the protection of caimans, but they seem to be establishing a caiman zoo next to the lodge: tourists will be happy to see some caimans, even though they are captives in the "zoo". In his qay, all wild caimans will be caught and brought to the tourist lake. Very bad practice, destructive for the natural environment and wildlife.
On the tour, you are never given adequate information what we are going to do/see next.
Day two: at 8:30 they take you in a boat up the same little river you saw a day before. And when you reach some potentially interesting spots they tell you: at this hour there are no more animals - one has to be here at 7 am. So why do they bring visitors to the place 2-3 hours too late, when they know you will see nothing there any more? After lunch they will take you for an hour or so to fish pirnhas up the same river you have already seen twice or go swimming in the Ucayali river in the same spot you swam the day before. All in all, after lunch you just have only 1,5 / (only!) of any activity (swimming again) and the rest is your "free time" till you have dinner and sleep - you are shown nothing anymore that day.
Day three: we wanted to get up early (5/6 am) and skip the breakfast. But we were told that it is impossible because the company policy is to give us breakfast and leave at 9 am. The company is completely unflexible and does not adapt to the group's wishes at all. In the end, we negotiated to have breakfast at 7 am and leave for the jungle walk at 7:30 am. In reality, the breakfast was served after 7:30 and we left at 8:15. By the time we reached the place, most animals and birds had gone into hiding. If you want to spot anything, that should be as early as possible, because after 9 am animals and birds escape the sun and the heat. The "jungle" place rather resembles a big park with lots if criss-crossing paths, trodden simultaneously by a few groups of tourists. The total walk was about two hours plus an hour boat trip (up the same river you have already seen a few times before). So you feel like running in circles around the same place.
The company suggests to you every time to go fishing piranhas, something nobody wants to do - but it is a time killer and makes an illusion that there is some activity. You ply back and forth in a boat up an down the same river all the time, so you see nothing new.
All in all, you pay for 2 nights and 3 days in the Amazonian jungle, but you see nothing of it, and the actual activity to see any wildlife outside of rhe tourist lodge ghetto is just approx. 5 +2 hours in total! Shame.
The real problem is that this is what most companies do. If you are coming here for any real experience, just forget Iquitos and most od its tour companies. And preferrably head for another country than Peru. It's a total waste of your time and money.

1  Thank brumbrum000
LuisV4045, Gerente at Jungle Reps, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good morning dear Piotr

Thank you very much for your feed back which definetly will help to fix and improve our service but I will reply you.

It seems all your experiences have been the worst ever in my beautiful country. We are checking all your feedbacks from the places you were they are 6, from these 6 feedbacks 2 are bad and 4 are terrible and something is wrong with all these 6 places or with 6 of us.

You are being a very offensive person saying this a tourist trap it means that we are cheating so many persons that have great expereinces with us and for some of them becoming the adventure of their lifes which is actually our main goal and we are proud of it. We would like next time you do a review be nicer with another guests and not calling them lazy because we provide the same service for everyone and thanks to them you had a great oportunity to have a deal with the price.

Our guides are great as all our staff and please it hurts when you say that the rest was bad because you have no idea how another members of the staff have to leave their families to come and doing their best as they do with all our guests .

We agree when you say that we had to rent a bus. We own a smaller one which is for 4 guests. We wanted to provide more comfort to the group this day and we rented a larger one which holds 11 guests. But it seems that it wasn`t a good idea only for you because the other 4 guests came back very happy and their one hour and a half bus ride was very pleasant

About the staff; we don`t find anything wrong hiring just for the time we have guests. But our staff is working permanently with us as Jerson (driver) Anselmo (guide) Adriano (guide) we would highly appreciatte to read all the reviews and you will that your review has very bad intention. During your trip we had Miriam the cook joining the second day because she was ill and she couldn`t join earlier because I sent her to see a doctor and paid by the company ( we don`t like show off because is our commiment but we are telling you because your thinking to the company is not the best) or you think that local people doesn`t deserve to see a doctor?

About tipping. If you read our policies at our tripadvisor site tipping or gratuities are not mandatory and also our website so tipping is very optional. In more than 20 years in the bussines we know that for some countries tipping is a custom and for some countries aren`t. One of the members of your group was from United States and he decided to tip whole staff in front of you. Nodoby is forced to tip.I don`t have to tell you because of my staff but they are one of the best paid and treated comparing with all the tour companies. Jerson is working with us since we started,Adriano and Anselmo as well. Do you think someone would be working for a "greedy company" many years having a lot of options aorund? Next time before you write a review make sure to read reviews to make sure that staff working since many years for the company.

Water we are very concern about it. The big containers are refiiled as much we can because that water we pump from the river.The mroning you didn`t find any water was because the staff didn`t want to make any noise that may wake you up. For the containers we take care of water tha we bring from Iquitos and the day it was empty it was only for a one hour and when you requested we provided water right away there would be a issue in case of no drinking water at all.

Payment was agreed with you in the way we did. Despite we understood your position we decided to wait for you because one of the requirements was a down payment that you never made you requested for us to wait for you at airport but we kept a place for you in the group. We went to the airport and wait for you because we had an agreement a day before you and there is not anything wrong with it.

About receipt you were advised that we will send you to your mail and we did and you were very thankfull because if this. We provide PDF forms receipts as a way to protect trees. The first day before we go to the village we advised whole group for this activity and you agreed. You could say no and we wouldn`t not come. Some families have animals as a pets as sloths,monkeys,and parrots and we can`t avoid them and it is part of their lifes that (despite is bad to see animals in places where they donpt have to be) is out of our hands.

The area is one of the best areas about wildlife We don`t think that over 50 reviews must be wrong. And there are not 20 lodges around because there are 8 lodges. Lodges has to be basic because it is an agreement with the governement avoiding big impact with nature. Most of our reviews are pleased to stay here. And we don`t plan to build something luxurious around respecting local flora fauna and local people. Piranha fishing is a optional acticity that we do it if we eat it. We respect everyones`diet.

Our guide is the main in charged of the activities (you had great comment toward him) in case you were needing more activities you had to request us we are very flexible. Guide report says that activities were done as the program says. Next time we suggest you to get a private and tailored tour for you dear guests. We have guests that they request for this type of expedition and we make it private.

We are so sorry if we didn`t accomplished your expectations. According to your needs you had to get another expedition that we have in our site. You needed to get the minimum 5 days of camping spending the night in tents.

Thank you one more time for your review and we will fix the issues that are in our hands. Because another guests from your same expedition are very thankful for this trip. We suggest you to read very well a program and location where you go. 68 reviews can`t be totally wrong comparing to 1. Relax and have fun. Peace and love.

Reviewed September 17, 2019

Our guide spoke great English and his extensive knowledge and passion meant we were able to get a lot more information on our trip. Our boat driver was amazing at calling and spotting the wildlife meaning we got to experience so many types of animals ( macaws, iguanas, monkeys, and even an ocelot on our night boat ride). It was their skills that made this trip so amazing. Its not 5 star accomodation or food but is that really why you go to the jungle? The only other advice/caution was that they don’t have an office so communication was done via wats app and payment was arranged for a person to come to our accomodation and pick up the money the day before ( I was a bit dubious about this but it all worked out fine). I’d say Jungle Reps provide the best value way to access the true experiences of the Amazon.

Date of experience: September 2019
LuisV4045, Gerente at Jungle Reps, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2019

Dear Jarrod
Thank you for your review all of them are very highy appreciated to keep doing things in the right way and improving all the time.
Our staff is highly trained to provide the best experience ever. Jungle Reps staff focus this bussines not only as a job but as a once time life experience for all our guests.

About our office I think there was a misunderstanding. We have an office and it it located as you can read in our website and also in our Tripadvisor site. We may not able to operate a tour without an office because it is registered in all government official entities as: Chamber of Commerce and Tourism, National register, Tripadvisor (and another platforms) and banks the idea of the person who is in charge of whatsapp channel wanted to make easier for you and avoiding you spent time and money meanwhile you are visiting around the city before the expedition we apologize for this misunderstanding and everyone is welcome to see our office in Fanning con Yurimaguas street 797 Iquitos-Peru from at office hours. And it is a bit confusing because you were staying only 5 blocks away from office you could go even walking.

We apologize if you were dubious but the good reputation of our company is priceless and we work very hard to be rated five stars. Before we use to get paid same day as the tour started but sometimes some guests didn`t show up or just saying" I am sorry I found another option" and we use to buy all the supplies for an expedition and paying wages and it was not fair.

98% of our sells and payment are done online and none complaints about it.

Thank you one more time for your review and you and everyone is welcome to our office.

Best regards
Luis Vela

Reviewed September 14, 2019

There are no words to describe the heart and love this company put to do what they do in the best way posible....

I work in tourism and I see my guest crying all the time when they leave, but I have never felt so touch myself to want to cry when saying goodbye to the staff of a hotel.... I travel quite a lot to different parts of the world and this has been by far one of the best experiences I have had everyone from my main guide Adriano, and the rest of the explore team Anselmo, Herson the cooks Victor and Miriam (amazing food with great taste) they all take very good care of you at all times.

Before traveling to the jungle just be sure that it is what you want, it is far from any civilization (which for me was very important) the lodge is simple (not luxurious) but very comfortable, nice bed a bathroom with a shower on it, but everything is rustic, JUST PARADISE for those who are looking for quiet, relaxing, unwind and ADVENTURE....

The animals are not in cages, "do not expect to see all the animals when you want because you want it" and do not get mad at the guides for not seen them..... But do not worry the guides will do their best to to please you.

Feel the energy and the vibe of the jungle is the best....

I havent seen so many birds and buterflies in my life, I also saw monkeys, Coatis, snakes, frogs, and I learnt so much from the names and varieties of medicinal plants, Miriam even gave me some recipies to make traditional Peruvian dishes.....

Another thing I liked was how accesible they were to host me, the days I could and they were very flexible.

GRACIAS

LUIS, ADRIANO, HERSON, VICTOR, MIRIAM Y TODO EL EQUIPO DE JUNGLE REPS LOS LLEVO EN MI CORAZÓN POR SIEMPRE......

1  Thank BarBs16
Reviewed September 6, 2019 via mobile

Touring the Amazon is such an adventure. The highlight for us was getting to play with monkeys for over an hour! This is a great way to see the amazon in a protected zone rather than a zoo type environment. You get to see the animals in their natural habitat (we saw monkeys, sloths, pink dolphins, piranhas, hawks, mccaws, Kingfishers, alligators, frogs and so much more) alot of your time is spent searching for the different animals but you will see plenty of birds and other creatures along the way. Our guide Carlos and assistant were awesome, very knowledgeable, helpful, fun and entertaining. Carlos is very dedicated to trying to find the animals and get you photos, sometimes we got tired of searching and would have been happy giving up the search (although our fault for not making this clear - really we just wanted to go back and play with the monkeys :D).
The last night camping was a very unique experience, gave us the chance to sleep alot rougher in the amazon and do things ourselves such as setting up the tent and covers and cooking on an open fire. It rained heavily on this night with lots of lightening which made it difficult to sleep but was definitely an adventure to write home about. I think a 3-4 day trip was enough for us to get a lot out of it and I wouldnt recommend shorter, longer might be good if you were going to different areas or deeper into the jungle.

1  Thank jason182
Reviewed August 23, 2019

After a 2h way by bus and then 2 hours by boat, we finally arrived at the lodge which was some comfy traditional houses where we have been well welcomed.
The guide brought us to a forest walk, showing us some medicinal trees used for centuries by the people living there in the jungle. It was sooo interesting !
Then in the evening, a night tour by bark searching for alligators to see, the day after watching early the sunset with the dolphins, the whole trip was just amazing and was worth it !
We had the chance to see so many animals living in the forest! We have the mind full of memories now. It was the perfect way to end our trip in Peru.

I deeply recommand this tour. In my opinion it is the best thing to do as tourist to support this kind of trip where animals are free and living in a protected area where they are not subject to trading or used as goods to pen in enclosures for their entire life.. Be aware that this kind of activity may definitly exist in the region, that absolutely should be avoided if you would like to support a sensed way of travelling and above all respect the wildlife living there...

Date of experience: August 2019