“Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous”
Review of Al Frio y Al Fuego

Al Frio y Al Fuego
Ranked #1 of 104 Restaurants in Iquitos
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I didn't do much research before we went, which I think added to the experience. The entrance to the restaurant on land was beautiful. Then, we took a boat across the river (it was dark which made the experience that much more mysterious). Once we boarded the restaurant it was all thatch, wood and lanterns. Would be a great place for a romantic setting. The poolside tables and pool was all lit up and was very glam, but we sat on the second level, which had an amazing view of the night sky (think darkness, but also an outline of the trees against the moon). I ordered the doncella wrapped in the banana leaf and it was probably the best fish I've ever had. The food was a little on the pricier side but then again, it's nothing we haven't paid for before with lesser food and much worse ambiance. Overall, I think it's definitely worth the experience!

There are newer reviews for Al Frio y Al Fuego

Reviewed November 8, 2013

It's not every day you get to eat in a restaurant floating in the middle of the Amazon, and it's worth taking the opportunity. the boat ride out wasn't too long but gave a sense of mystery to the evening.
The place was almost empty, but because it looks attractive, and I was constantly thinking "I'm eating in the middle of the Amazon!" that didn't matter too much.
I had chicken drumsticks to start. Nicely flavoured, with good sauces, but there were 3 of them, plus chips, which is a bit OTT for a starter. I had a fish main, which I can't for the life of me remember the name of, but it was very well cooked and well garnished

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

As some others have said, I don't feel the food fully lived up to the spectacular setting but then again, that would be hard. It's not that the food is hugely lacking - we had a starter to share and then we both had fish (one with chorizo, another in a bijao leaf). It was good without being great.

I would recommend eating here for the experience alone however - the trip out on a little covered motor boat, the pool lit up at night and the snapping fish visible from the edge of the restaurant all make it seriously romantic. A good option for a bit of a splurge in Iquitos.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The restaurant is floating in the river, with a two story restaurant and a floating swimmingpool connected by bridge.
The food is peruvian, and very good. Service was good. As a stop from the hectic bustle in Iquitos it worked very well.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location was a challenge to get to, but once there was very nice -- floating in the middle of the river. The food was good; but not really that much better than we had elsewhere in Iquitos. It's quite expensive compared to other restaurants.