“Great food, overpriced”

Ranked #2 of 104 Restaurants in Iquitos
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery
Description: Taking care of the health of our client is our priority! That is why purified water and high standards of hygiene are the most important ingredients of our recipe for pure, safe, healthy meals!
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I only ate here once and was impressed with the selection on the menu and the food itself, but found it to be overpriced

DawnontheAmazon, Owner at Dawn on the Amazon Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you very much travla67, from Melbourne, Australia, for your very good review of Dawn on the Amazon Cafe. I respect that you are a Top Contributor to TripAdvisor and that you think we have great food.

I wonder what you mean when you say we are over priced? Compared to...? I wonder, do you realize that all that we do is made with purified water, whether it is soup, coffee, tea, juice, or ice. That all of our vegetables and egg shells are first soaked in a sterilization solution, then rinsed in three washes of purified water. Our purified water payment to Persa is several hundred dollars each year.

I believe we are the only restaurant in Iquitos that places your health as our top priority. Our attention to sanitation and hygiene is unparalleled in Iquitos. What price do you place on your good health.

What price do you place of freshness? Our food is fresh, purchased every morning. Not frozen.

What about labor? Do you believe that the hard working Peruvians should be paid a fair wage? We are one of the few restaurants that pay at least minimum wage, more for the skilled positions + they have health care + they keep their own tips.

Would you rather we cut corners like most places, rinse your lettuce with tap water, have no soap or toilet paper in the bathroom.

Do you realize Iquitos is completely cut off from the rest of Peru, and the world. The only way in or out is via plane or boat. This means that all goods must be shipped by boat or by plane, because of that we pay much more for foodstuffs, pots and pans, stoves, refrigerators and all utensils, etc. than any where else in Peru. We pay more for gas, and much more for electricity.

We use the best olive oil money can buy.

Do you think we deserve a profit? Do you think we are getting rich? hahahahahajajaja...We should raise our prices.

Perhaps you still think we are over priced, but I hope that you agree that we provide great value for the price.

I'm pleased you are impressed with our menu and our food. Thank you for that. I hope you will reconsider your judgement about our prices and give us another chance to impress you.

Bill Grimes, host of the Dawn on the Amazon Cafe

There are newer reviews for Dawn on the Amazon Cafe

Reviewed November 21, 2012

What amazes me about Dawn On The Amazon is the extensive menu they have at reasonable prices. And Bill Grimes, the owner, certainly knows how to run his business. The crew is genuine, polite, well educated and they always smile and make you feel like being at home. I enjoyed a different dish every day and the food was more than decent. I even tried their pisco sour - phenomenal in every aspect. A real gem overlooking The Mighty Amazon.

1  Thank AlfonsoMoscoso

We are very thankful, on this Thanksgiving Day, to AlfonsoMoscoso from Lima Peru for your excellent review of Dawn on the Amazon Cafe. I know Lima is the foodie capital of South America, and when a visitor from Lima comes to Iquitos and thinks we are doing a Phenomenal job, it really means a lot to my entire team and I.

We hope you enjoyed your stay and that you will return to Iquitos and to Dawn on the Amazon Cafe in the not too distant future.

Very best regards from your friend,
Bill Grimes, Host of Dawn on the Amazon Cafe

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Dawn of the Amazon has been a priceless hub of interconnectivity for me in Iquitos. Besides the wide variety of well-priced, gringo-friendly food, Bill's establishment is situated on a calm corner of the Malecon and features a beautiful towards the east overlooking the Amazon. I really enjoy his Camu Camu (I go with little ice and sugar) and his burritos are very tasty. His internet WiFi access is fast and reliable. When in Iquitos I highly recommend swinging by! Also, try an Eco Ola Superfood bar to take with you on the road!

On this thanksgiving day I am very thankful for Rick Pickett's excellent review of Dawn on the Amazon Cafe. Your the best. You made my day with this review. We are honored. You will be missed in Iquitos. I feel pretty sure you will find your way back here soon enough. I hope so.

You give good advise to those who follow you to the Dawn on the Amazon Cafe, Camu Camu juice, burritos, WiFi, and Eco Ola Super Food Bars for traveling.

Bill Grimes, host of Dawn on the Amazon Cafe

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The owner, and ex-pat american owns/operates this restaurant, the Amazon Golf course, and some river cruises. Drop in here for some friendly advice, cold beer, reasonable priced food.

DawnontheAmazon, Owner at Dawn on the Amazon Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you so much key_man_canada from Zephyr, for your very good review of Dawn on the Amazon Cafe. Next time you are back in our charming city of Iquitos, stop back in and say hi.

Bill

Reviewed November 14, 2012

triple washed food! friendly staff! they book trips too. Everything I experienced at this spot was excellent, and I returned several times as a result.

Thank you HilaryW999 from San Francisco, California, for your excellent review of Dawn on the Amazon Cafe. The greatest compliment is to return several times and then take the time to tell travelers on TripAdvisor.

I hope we will see you back in our charming city of Iquitos again before too long

Wishing you the very best,

Bill Grimes, host of Dawn on the Amazon Cafe