“Amazon/Nanay River cruise”

Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazon tours and Amazon cruises on the upper Amazon River and its tributaries, and the rainforest, from Iquitos Peru. The Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises riverboats are big enough for you to be comfortable and relaxed, but small enough to access the tributaries and lakes where larger cruise ships can not go. If you have an extra day in Iquitos before or after your cruise, Dawn on the Amazon also provides fun, interesting, and educational day trips. Thank you for your consideration.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Bend, Oregon, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazon/Nanay River cruise”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This boat trip was one of the best experiences in travel I have experienced. I joined a couple on a 3 night cruise with Julio as our knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide, Edson as our excellent and capable captain, and the wonderful Nora as cook. Two chickens were part of the original crew, plus a beautifully stocked pantry of fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, meat, fresh water. This was so relaxing, yet exciting, away from the world we know and into a place so beautiful and lush. We saw everything we hoped to see and more that we never knew existed. The people we encountered were friendly and open, allowing many photos, sharing their homes and glimpses into their lives. I loved sleeping on the boat, eating on the boat, traveling at a speed that allowed total absorption of the surroundings. If you get the chance, do it!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Karlyn H
DawnontheAmazon, Owner at Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you Karlyn H, from bend, Oregon, United States, for your excellent review. Wow, one of the best experiences in travel...saw everything you hoped to see...is high praise indeed.

I hope someday you can join us again.

Best wishes,
Bill Grimes,
President of Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises

Seattle
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Incredible Experience!”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My wife and I, along with a friend spent 3 days on the Amazon and tributaries in their small boat. There was one other passenger on the boat plus our guide, the boat captain, and a chef. The overall experience was amazing and the food was incredible especially considering the space she had to work with. The guide and boat captain did a wonderful job of spotting wildlife and gave us as much time as we needed for photographs. The crew also met all of our reasonable requests even getting us access to buy some beer at a local village when we asked.
The owner Bill had us picked up from the airport, met us at the boat for our departure, and again at our return. We had a very good afternoon snack at his cafe while we chatted with him about our trip and his experiences in Iquitos. It was everything we had hoped for our brief Amazon adventure and more.
The trip was very much like camping with your own private crew to do the cooking and set up. While i'm sure this is not for everyone it was perfect for us.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank THOMAS S
Thank you THOMAS S, from Seattle, for the excellent review about your incredible experience and for posting your photos.

I always like to read positive feedback about how our crew performed.

I see several travelers have already voted, yes, this review was helpful to them.

My best regards,
Bill Grimes
Dawn on the Amazon
Cape Town
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best week of my life”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

It has always been my dream to visit the Amazon and the week I spent in the dawn of the Amazon I totally lived up to that dream!
My boyfriend and I spent 6 nights travelling up the Rio de Nanay on this, the smallest of the 'dawn on the amazon's river boats. Before we set off I was a bit concerned about comfort and privacy on this open boat but this was never a problem! The boat was VERY comfortable and amazingly adaptable and I did not feel uncomfortable at all during the trip! In fact, I decided that I preferred this open boat to the larger one's with cabins, as you feel closer to nature.
The crew was incredibly friendly and helpful and our guide seemed to know every creature we encountered in the jungle. The food was absolutely amazing; we ate better during this week than we usually do! Fresh, delicious and nutritious I felt great after eating so well for 7 days!
The boat is also very clean and they provide more than enough clean drinking water (as advertised).
This is definitely the BEST way to see the amazon, as you quietly chug upriver in the boat, hike through the jungle and explore the flooded jungle in a dugout Canoe: it was absolute bliss!!
Another positive about 'dawn on the amazon' is that they will tailor your cruise to what YOU want out of it- whether that be to fish, birdwatch or see pink dolphins (or all 3!!)- they will do everything they can to give you what you want! :) I HIGHLY recommend this company!
Despite incredibly high expectations we were very totally blown away by the experience and will definitely be going back again one day- to see the jungle in the dry season!

Other things I was concerned about before going on the trip was the heat and the mosquitoes. Being from Africa I am probably used to this more than your average westerner but I found the weather comfortable (its nice and cool under the shade of the boat during sunshine and the rain is lovely) and the mosquitoes not SO bad (but I would recommend bringing a good insect repellent).
I also feel I should mention that we were not the easiest clients when booking this cruise. We had to cancel our initial booking last year and never responded to Bill very timeously, but he was ALWAYS very helpful, understanding and accommodating.

Don't forget to bring a Good camera to capture all the amazing life you will see in this heaven on earth!!

Visited March 2012
3 Thank StaceyJ-South_Africa
DawnontheAmazon, Owner at Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you so much StaceyJ-South_Africa, Cape Town, for your excellent review of Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises. Your review makes me so happy. Making dreams come true for you is what we want to do. Thank you for giving us the opportunity.

I agree that our small boat, Dawn on the Amazon, is the best choice for feeling close to nature. You are closer to nature.

Having a great attitude and high expectations is a prerequisite to having the best week of your life.

Best regards,

Bill Grimes,

President of Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises
Nadi, Fiji
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Served with Derogatory”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Please note that due to the rude customer service, I did not actually use their services hence my contribution is no reflection of their tours/cruises. However this was THE rudest treatment I have received on my trip to Peru and I feel this should be shared.

Selecting from Lonely Planet's recommendations, I approached this company. Their office had closed for the day when I checked it out on the evening I arrived in Iquitos. Upon inquiry with the next door cafe' (same management), the staff informed me that their boss was around and I could speak to him. I waited inside near the notice board when the owner Bill walked past me to another person to ask if she was inquiring on the tours. I called out to him and explained I was after a river cruise to which he informed me that they couldn't do because they needed more than 2 people and immediately turned to go. When I insisted he told me to come back in the morning and see if somebody else had booked.

I turned up early in the morning to see him and he vaguely recalled me from last night. He said there wasn't anybody else and they couldn't do much. I explained that I had limited time in Iquitos and that I travelled too far not to see the Amazon. When I told him I was from Fiji, he responded "oh yes, I know all about Fiji. 60% Indians, 40% Fijians. TroubIe all the time and I suppose nothings changed". I asked when he was there last 'cause we have changed drastically over the years to which he replied "oh I doubt you people would have changed." And then he said in really slow English "Look I'll help you look for something cheap to do. It won't be free but you have to spend some money. And I hope you understand I'm not getting paid for this. I'm just helping you out." I could not believe the audacity of this person not to only insult me but also crap about the country I came from. Yes we have problems but I certainly didn't travel more than 7,000 miles to hear that!!

As a customer, I specifically wanted a certain service - I wanted to see the Amazon without the trappings of staying at a lodge. On LP's recommendation that trips could be tailored to suit the traveller, I had gone to this firm. However the owner chose to judge me based on my skin color (when he possibly dismissed me the evening before as not a customer but a local) and my country that I could not possibly afford his tours.

It was a very demeaning experience, I can only provide feedback to the management that you are in the Tourism business and despite your personal opinions, you need to provide respectful service to the people who walk through your doors. You cannot undermine the efforts they have made to travel to your part of the world and you need to appreciate that.

Because I came from the "Friendliest country in the World" I chose to thank you and walk out.

Visited January 2012
11 Thank Sharon022
DawnontheAmazon, Owner at Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
I am sorry you felt I was derogatory to you when I was explaining to you, as I have explained to many solo travelers, Dawn on the Amazon must have a minimum of 2 passengers. We do not accept any travelers showing up the night before and expecting a cruise the next morning. It is impossible.

As you said the tour and cruise office was closed. I am also the host of the Dawn on the Amazon Cafe. You insisted...about something that was impossible...

Lonely Planet lists our phone number and website. Had you gone to my web site, you would have read on several pages we do not accept just one passenger to create a cruise on a day when none is scheduled, and everyone must pay in advance.

I did try to help you accomplish your goal with an independent operator that I trust. In my natural slow voice I was trying to assure you that I did not receive a commission if you followed my suggestion.

Bula. I liked Fiji enough to go back the second time for a total of 3 months. It is a friendly country that I am not prejudiced against.

It is not part of my personality and it was not my intention to make you feel discriminated against in any way. I am married to a Peruvian, and all 22 of my crew are Peruvian. It is absurd to assume and imply that I am prejudiced.

Bill
Montreal, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A MUST for every nature enthusiast”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is by far the best thing to do in Iquitos. We went on a three-day tour of the Amazon river and stayed in a beautiful and comfortable boat. The staff was absolutely fantastic. The tour guide knew the area really well, knew all the wildlife in both Spanish and English, and was very accommodating. The best food we had all trip was on this tour! We would recommend this trip for anyone who is outgoing and adventurous. If you don't mind living on a boat, sleeping in a hammoc, visiting local villages, and watching wildlife all day, this is the trip for you. HIGHLY recommended.

Visited July 2011