“OzTraveler”
Review of Hotel Maranon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Iquitos
Hotel Maranon
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Iquitos
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I was put up at this hotel by my Amazon lodge when I wanted to stay an extra night in Iquitos

I was pleasantly surprised - the service was excellent, one desk person went out to her scooter and got me an handkerchief (I had lost all of mine), the little house maid went to carry my heavy bag downstairs, a lot of bad Spanish prevented her - front desk good advise and assistance, laundry fast and good, restaurant adequate

The room and bathroom were tired but clean and the bed comfy

The location is good - near the main square and waterfront

I was told to be "careful" in Iquitos, Belen market etc - I am "careful" in my home city - but I felt quite safe and I was not hassled really at all - if you are thinking of going to Iquitos, go!

Iquitos is a great place to visit

Room Tip: Probably all the same
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Oztraveler711

Reviewed August 28, 2011

This hotel was well located just a block from the main square. Iquitos is a strange but interesting city, with a reputation that to us seemed somewhat undeserved. We found the people extremely friendly, and it felt a fairly safe place.
The hotel has free internet and a swimming pool. Our room was old and not particularly nice, but it was clean, and adequate, and the water in the shower was hot.There was even a fridge.
Breakfast was supposed to be from 6 am, but if you turn up at that time or even 1/2 hour later, there isn't much on offer. Bread was dry, but there was fresh mango juice and eggs if you wanted them. Staff, especially in the dining room were surly, and unfriendly.
However for the location and the price, this place was really great value, and we would stay there again (but go out for breakfast!) Plenty of restaurants in the area, and you can get your laundry done cheaply and well at various places not far from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank flierex
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I'd give this hotel a solid B. Nothing amazing but cleanish, and well located. While there is a pool, it isn't very appealing and no one was using it. The breakfast was included in the price. Beds were comfortable. The bathrooms could use a serious scrubbing. Nothing is technically wrong with this hotel - it just has little personality. WiFi worked in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Liz B
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Stayed here for one night on the way to Tabatinga, Brazil. The room was large, clean, with a small fridge and a comfortable bed. Location was good for restaurants and close to a corner store should you need water or snacks. It was also very close to the office where the tickets are sold for the Fast Boat to Tabatinga.

The hotel is at a busy street corner so its quite noisy with all the moto-taxis roaring by. Front desk receptionist was not too engaged and had a lukewarm demeanour.

The convenient location was it's best feature. On the downside there was no breakfast available for our very early morning departure.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wilfridblair
Reviewed May 29, 2011

May 14; May 19, 2011
We selected this hotel for the day before and after we went to Otorongo Expeditions (jungle lodge). because of its great location. Our room was fine, we had hot water, there was free internet and the breakfast was okay. For $45 US per night, it was good value.

Room Tip: Check that the shower is hot and the A/C works
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aroundthenextcorner4
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Hotel is ok...rooms are small and street side rooms are loud! Breakfast was good. Overall, just ok.

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the street.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Free pickup/return to airport. Never got up for their free breakfast-so no info. If you are looking for basic, clean lodging with central location - then this is your choice!!
Staff was always friendly, helpful and looking for ways to make your stay great.
Located 2 min walk from big plaza, 3 min walk from boulevard. CAUTION - near Casinos. But then again there are more casinos than churches.
Only down side is no elevator, but they take your luggage up for you. Their pool seems nice from what people said, but I never used it.
When I return to Iquitos, I would not hesitate to stay here - but might try a new sister hotel they are building 3 blocks away.
If you are going on an amazon tour, I would suggest staying here the day before your tour leaves and the day after returning. Nice town to hang out in!!!

Room Tip: Pay in cash
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo