“Great staff, great location”

Hostal Inti Wasi - Plaza de Armas
Ranked #64 of 554 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed July 8, 2013

You can't beat this location. Right on top of the Plaza the Armas, so a walking distance to everything. Except for the communal courtyard with sofas, this isn't really a hostel. It's just a budget hotel with very good service and super friendly staff. Storing our luggage during our Machu Picchu trip was not an issue and they assisted us very kindly with all queries we had.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Timmeronline

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We recently stayed here on our trip to Cuzco and was very pleased with it. The hostal was a nice building in a great location right off the plaza, which meant there was no shortage of places to eat, drink, shop and get money changed. The hostal was very quiet and clean, with good sized rooms and bathroom. The staff were very friendly and helpful, however we did ask for a wake up call twice and didnt get it. The breakfast was acceptible and there was even a place to store our luggage on the last day after check out.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Plus side.
Nice staff, good price, great location.
Wooden shutters kept the light out into the day (very nice to use since the sun rises early).
Flat screen TV
Very nice and clean private bathrooms. Including hand towels (not always available in hostels).
Hostels in Peru are what Mom&Pop hotels are in Europe. Quaint, small, but with everything you need self contained in a unit - usually no shared anything.
Great hot water and pressure (not a given in Cusco hostels, so be sure you understand this commodity).

Down side.
Bit of noise due to location (note that I've stayed a few places in Cusco, and they all have street noise of some sort, so don't plan hard to escape it).
Breakfast is fairly simple (more so than usual by other places in Cusco)
English isn't very strong by the desk staff (and I speak French and bad spanish). I had better interfacing with retail staff than I did with this key hotel interface position, but he has extremely nice and would grab an online translator to help bridge the gap). I do depend on Hotel staff to understand me so I can get suggestions on local activities or restaurants, so it became frustrating. Elisabeth (the owner I think), has a much better command of English and was super helpful.
For the price I did better elsewhere (I went in March - their low season - so price negotiations are better).

Would I go back? I would recommend this at least to arrive and check it out (due to it's central location), but from there you might find something you prefer, or like where you are just fine. There are many Hostels, and not at all the same, and going from one to another is no more than a 4 or 5 soles cab ride ($2).

Room Tip: I liked rooms 203 and 206 because they had full shutters overlooking the square (very nice view, and...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank GBourck
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great location, ok room and bathroom. Great water pressure and hot water. Our room had double doors that opened to the outside. It was fun to stand and look at the street below. Really cheap. They also have a place to store luggage. They even gave me a book!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is on a good location, close to everything. The register staff is friendly, and he let me chose the room, so I chose a room can see Plaza Regocijo. Breakfast is fine.
but the building is aged, need a new internal decoration.

Room Tip: If possible, Pick a room facing to Plaza Regocijo.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is the first review I have ever written. I'm not normally one to complain, but the service at this hotel was just horrid.
My double room (which turned out to be a twin) had no glass in one of the windows. Cusco in winter is COLD! The room was freezing.
One of our party was arriving to Cusco by bus. After paying at the hotel for him to be collected by taxi, he arrived alone having waited at the bus terminal for the taxi to arrive. It never came.
We booked our trip to Machu Picchu with the hotel (My partner and I and my parents, in their 60's).
Our taxi to Ollantaytambo was 30 minutes late. Consequently, we almost missed out train. No apology was offered.
The way back was even worse. After being shuffled on to a bus and being told we had to wait half an hour, we were then herded to another bus (I use the term lightly). It was nothing more than a glorified combi. My parents, who suffer from arthritis, were squeezed into a vehicle not fit for 4 people, let alone 8. My mother was actually in tears from the pain in her legs as she couldn't move. The driver made several stops for phone calls, snacks etc.
Now, I'm no travel snob. I have travelled in far worse conditions, but when I was paying 180 US for the privilege, then I take issue. It was not the service that was advertised and was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I could have (and should have) sorted it myself and saved $100.
I raised my concerns with the staff. The agent was apologetic, but the manager was RUDE!!!!!
It very nearly spoiled our trip.
OUr taxi back to the airport, again organised by the hotel, was 30 mins late again.
Location, as others have said, is great. However, I'm sure there are better options for the price!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MIRAFLORES80
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Right by the main Plaza. Stayed a total of 3 nights and found the rooms adequate nothing fancy but the price was right. Also it had a great supply of hot water. The breakfast has a great selection and was buffet style. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. We were within walking distance to lots of restaurants and some amazing shopping.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends