“Echo Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Yorkshire,England
“Echo Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

The hotel looks good and is a short walk from the main part of the city. Unfortunatly the design of the building, around a large atrium, causes noise problems. In the evening I was aware of dinners just below my room and early risers setting off on excursions or to the airport as the sound echos up the atrium. Those with rooms over the frontdoor also had problems with traffic noise and the sound of loading coaches. The hotel is fine otherwise with clean rooms, nice helpful staff and a full breakfast buffet. There is a resturant which some of my group used but I though it was a bit expensive.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ricoshea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

I was booked at the Eco Inn through my tour company on a private tour of Peru. I stayed here for two nights upon arrival to Cusco. This was my first trip to South America and I wasn't sure what to expect. I was really impressed with the Eco Inn. The facilities were all modern, the staff was extremely friendly and very helpful to someone like me who was new to South America. My room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable with enough blankets to keep me warm (there was also a space heater, which I never used). The flat screen TV with cable was a nice surprise. I also had no issues using the phone to call with my calling card. An alarm clock was also nice to have, even though I had wakeup calls.

The bathroom was very clean. The shower was enclosed with a glass door. The shower had hot water and the water pressure was OK. There was a hairdryer in the room, which was nice since I don't travel with one.

The restaurant served tasty food (excellent soups and dessert) and there was even a harpist providing nightly entertainment. The complimentary breakfast buffet served an abundance of food. I didn't care for the strong coffee and found it odd that the crusts were cut off the bread for toast (that's the best part!) - but those are my personal preferences. Bottles of water and snack foods are sold in the lobby and can just be charged to your room. The location was ideal with the artesenal market across the street, a grocery store and post office a few blocks away and the Plaza des Armas a 15-minute walk away. If I ever return to Cusco, I would definitely stay at the Eco Inn.

Room Tip: When booking, ask for a room on the fourth of fifth floor to avoid noise from the lobby.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Kim B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

This hotel is definitely not up to its four star rating -- should receive three stars at the best. The noise level is high and the service and amenities are significantly lacking for what is supposedly a four star hotel.

I stayed in a room facing the hotel courtyard, and it was positively LOUD in the evening and into the night with outside activity, most notably the hotel entertainment. My parents stayed in a room facing the street and this was loud also. Not very helpful when your head is pounding from altitude sickness to begin with!

While the hotel offers complimentary wifi, it is incredibly slow, and the front desk does not give you the network password upfront, you must make a personal request in order to receive it. This goes for towel service, too (no change of towels unless you make the request). In addition, the hotel provides shampoo and body soap but no conditioner. The shower drain in my room was also clogged so that water wouldn't drain properly.

Its only redeeming qualities are its location and the complimentary breakfast buffet. The hotel is located conveniently on one of the principal streets of Cuzco and in walking distance of the main plaza. The breakfast offers a wide variety of foods, including American breakfast foods as well as a few Cusquenan treats, and was delicious.

Stay here if you're looking for location and a nice comp breakfast. In my opinion, however, this place definitely lacks bang for the buck.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank anakanis
Boblingen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed in this hotel during our residence in Cusco and after visiting Machu Picchu and our stay was very comfortable! The personal was very attentive, they fulfilled all our desires very quickly. The breakfast buffet was abundant and good, the rooms were quite ample. We also can recomend the Spa of this hotel, we tried the massage and the Inca bath and really could have a relaxing time! This hotel is his four stars worth!

Room Tip: We had our rooms near the courtyard and there it was very quiet. Try to get a room there!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KK10042015DF
essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

Good position at the end of the main Avenida del Sol in Cusco, but proved noisy from traffic, and due to the design of the hotel....our room faced the street, other friends said courtyard facing rooms were quieter.
Room clean, basically furnished.Liked being able to see the hills above Cusco.
Hotel busy with tour groups, often leaving early.Hotel has an early check out time.
Restaurant provided a pleasant place to sit with its little stream , with koi carp, felt like you were outside!Reasonable range of breakfast foods.
Coca tea a real bonus to combat altitude....it worked for me!

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard rooms!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank globetrotterEssex
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

We had 2 nights at the Eco Inn while we toured Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. It is apparently considered a 3-4 star hotel and is thus used by many tour companies herding large groups of tourists through the same itinerary. As a result, the front desk staff and restaurant are completely overwhelmed most of the evening and morning. If you want a meal at night you are better off walking out on the street (to nearby La Cabana) than waiting on your food at the Eco Inn restaurant - though the pizza my daughter got after an hour wait at Eco was indeed excellent.

The facilities are very nice, rooms clean and location is excellent. They just need to hire more help.

Room Tip: Elevators are small and have no arrival chime, leading to traffic jams in the lobby. Ask for a room...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank ras828
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

Good that breakfast was served at 5am before our 5.30am pickup for the 4-day Inca Trail. After the trail, we checked back in the same hotel & our bags were already waiting for us in our room. Everything was great, room, breakfast, overall staff service until check out. We were forced out of our rooms at 10 am. That was after an extension given to us by the unfriendly lady at the reception who informed us that check out time was actually 9am. The previous night we got back from Machu Picchu at around midnight so were still tired in the morning but had to vacate the nice room & wait at the lobby until our late afternoon flight out of Cusco. What a spoiler in this otherwise nice hotel

• Stayed September 2011