Pirwa Hostel Backpackers Familiar, San Blas
$128
$84
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza(Cusco)
$116
Hotwire.com
$84
$65
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssan blasyogurtbreadmain squarewithin walking distancehostel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The staff are very sweet - the women running it are all lovely and incredibly friendly. This is the quieter of the two Pirwa Hostels in Cusco, with a lovely small courtyard with hammocks and swing benches which gather most of the days sun. If you want a party then there is a board showing you 'whats happening' in the party Pirwa so it is a nice combination.

The rooms were good, somewhat small when you have large bags but definitely not an inconvenience. My friend had a tough time sitting on the toilet in the bathroom and trying to get his legs to fit in - but that was just funny.

We stayed here twice - before and after the Salkantay Trek - the room we had before the trek (private ensuite) didn't have a great shower experience which is difficult when the temperatures outside are cold. However the room we had after the trek - slightly smaller than the first but with a great shower.

Location is fantastic, you have a Crepery (crepes) two doors down ( amazing!), and if you go down and take first right you have an awesome sandwich place that will leave you wanting more and just a bit further you have the famous Jack's - anything from the menu is going to make our mouth water. It is also close to the main square, everything you want is in walking distance - lovely alley ways around the area to explore.

Breakfast was the same as most of Peru - hard bread and jam with tea/coffee. We opted for the crepes for breakfast at only 4 soles for a blueberry crepe.

You will love it!

1  Thank Candy-Marie v
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been travelling around South America for three months now and I have never experienced such a bad, cold, terrible hostel.
The recepcionists are ruined to talk to and they can not help you with anything.
The breakfast is terrible and the water in the shower is cold. There are no other backpackers to talk to which results in a very unfriendly atmosphere.
I would not recomend anyone to stay here.

2  Thank Clara B
Reviewed May 31, 2013

First of all the hostel is really cold both during the day and the night, this is partly because there is no sun in the courtyard but also because there is absolutely no heating in the hostel.

Then there is the kitchen which is terrible; it´s cold, you have to pay 15 soles to use the oven which defeats the purpose of using it when a meal in a restaurant cost like 20 soles!

The included breakfast is really poor, there is not enough of anything and just in general it´s a really bad breakfast that wasen´t filling at all!

The main reason for this rewiew though is that we had a really bad experience with the staff. Me and my three friends had a couple of days before our departure from that hostel we paid up the whole amount for our stay which was a 150 soles pr. person, which by the way we paid gladly though it hadn´t been the best stay we offcourse paid in the spot.

On the day of our departure we were planning to leave and then a woman from the staff stopped my friend and said she had to pay a 150 soles for the stay because she hadn´t paid, but that the rest of us had paid.

We offcourse refused and said that we had all paid the whole amount and that they must not have written it down. I should say that this mistake of the hostel staff was only possible because they have a really awful system of payment. They don´t give any reciets so you don´t get any proof that you gave actually paid. This wouldn´t be so much of a problem if the staff was competent enough to record everything on a computer. But the staff is NOT competent and also they don´t record the payments on a computer. Everything relies on piece of paper and in our case the staff had written down the payments for all four of us but one from the staff had somehow thrown away the paper which had written on it the payment for the last girl in our group.

So with no proof like a reciet for our payment they forced my friend to pay another 150 soles! so in total she paid 300 soles fore a 6 night stay and a really bad experience. The experience was really terrible not only because my friend had to pay 300 soles but because the staff was reakky rude and implied that my friend was a liar and a thew! We were really shocked angry and sad because we have never done such a thing as lying about payment for a hostel or cheat to get a stay cheaper in any way. But without a reciet my friend was forced to pay.

therefore we do NOT recommend this hostel to anybody and we how now learned also from the experience to always get a reciet from our payments. So in case you feel forced to stay
Pirwa Hostel Backpackers Familiar, San Blas then always get a reciet for your payments!!!

But just good advice stay at another hostel, there is lots of greate and cheap hostels in Cusco!!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I had a great stay here. The beds were comfy with plenty of extra blankets for the cold nights, plus towels were provided. The showers actually did have hot water (unlike a lot of places in Peru I stayed in!!). The people who worked there were so kind and advised me on altitude sickness providing never-ending supplies of cocoa tea. Breakfast is good with a few options. There is a lovely outside area where you can chill.

I really liked staying in the San Blas area and it's only a 5 minute walk into town, I always felt safe coming back every night on my own. San Blas is a small but chilled area so if you decide not to venture into town it's a really nice area to stay in with a few cafes/places to eat etc. You're also close to walking up to the 'Cristo Blanco' and getting a really great view of the city (although take your time on the steps!).

You can also watch DVDs in the living area in the evening and there are good cooking facilities for making your own food. Another plus point is that the dorms aren't actually that big, I think the most people I shared with was 2 others.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed in a shared dorm because I'm definitely a budget traveler myself. They only have dorms for 2 to 4 people, not large ones which is the right size for me. There are private rooms as well and cheaper than other private rooms because the hostel is located several blocks away from the city's main square- but honestly, the San Blas area groovy artistic bohemian vibe is more pleasant than the over-commercialized main square. So you get a more unique location with cobblestone streets and a very cheap price. Breakfast is included in the price as well. It's just an affordable relaxing place overall, and Kuny was a sweetheart. If you like a party-type place they have another hostel in Cuzco that's good for that. This one is for those of us just looking for a peaceful place to crash between tours. I really did like it a lot.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo