Open today: 8:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Review Highlights
Amazing experience beyond expectations

This was the best way to do Machu Picchu and Rainbow mountain. Jamil and Juan were with us every... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Joanna B
Los Angeles, California
Short Inca/Machu Picchu/Rainbow Mtn Trek

Amazing trip! Trek was well-coordinated & communicated to our group. Guides were extraordinarily... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
bellablue82

All reviews wild rover inka jungle zip lining mountain biking rock climbing machu picchu day trip amazing experience water rafting organised tour fun trip amazing food spoke great english tents and sleeping bags maras moray nice trip amazing tour
Reviewed April 16, 2016

This was by far the best experience I have ever had - all thanks to Southern Peru Explorers! We had the best guides, best food, best hospitality, etc. I was afraid that I couldn't do the trail, but the guides were very accommodating - I never felt that I was going too slow or was being held up by others. All the guides were knowledgeable, friendly, funny, and fun to be around! Also, the food and service were incredible - who would have thought?! I highly recommend this group to anyone hiking the Inca Trail!!

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed April 13, 2016

We completed the 4-day inca trail a couple of weeks ago, and this is what I take away:

1. Much more challenging that I had anticipated, but completely doable and definitely recommendable, overall an amazing experience!

2. I was impressed by the organization of Southern Peru Explorers, would definitely recommend to book your trip with this company:
- Outstanding guides
- We were 60 and had a group of 100 porters
- Top quality of equipment (eg, the camping tents and sleeping bags were so good that it almost didn't feel like camping!) and the best camping sites all for ourselves
- Amazing food (top chefs prepared 3-course meals served in very well set up dining tents)
- Overall one of the best services I've EVER seen!

Date of experience: March 2016
Joel C, Propietario at Southern Peru Explorers, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2016

Hi Gabriela.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us and It was nice to meet you for us and all your friends from HBS. We tried to give you all the best of our services and show our Inca Culture and we had unforgettable time with you guys during the 8 days tour including: Cusco, Sacred Valley and the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu.

Best Regards.

Joel

Reviewed April 12, 2016

Southern Peru Explorers helped us organize a 8 day trip to Peru including a 4D3N trip to Machu Picchu. They are not just an agency as another reviewer suggested. The owner of the company hiked with us the whole time!

The trek was incredibly well managed, great food, all organized really well. Every one of the guides was excellent and they were also just generally good people. We enjoyed ourselves having a drink in the dinner tent with them and joking around after lots of hiking.

I highly recommend the team here, once in a life time experience.

Date of experience: March 2016
Joel C, Gerente at Southern Peru Explorers, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2016

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and. It was very nice to meet you all and we had unforgettable time during the 8 days tour, Cusco, Sacred Valley and the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. We are always waiting for you and your friends hope you guys are coming back soon.

Best Regards.

Reviewed December 11, 2015

To start, Southern Peru Explorers is an AGENCY which in my case 'only' sold the above noted tour which was run by (other) tour operators - this agency is located in the Wild Rover Hostal in Cusco.

About the tour, then, good things first: the guide we had, did a great job. He was a lovely person, knew quite a bit about the sites we visited, adopted the speed of trekking to the needs of the group and was a funny, warm-hearted person. Further, from an organizational point of view, things went pretty well - so we barely had to wait and pretty much had all the needed information at hand at all times.

In terms of room for improvement, however, the mountain biking company with which this agency is contracting provided us with bikes which were A) appearing fairly old and B) clearly NOT appropriately maintained:
- the rear brake of my bike did not work at all,
- the front disc brake was sufficiently working to break but did not break as you would expect it from a (apparently hydraulic) disc brake.
- the rear tyre was flat like a pancake - at least the front tyre had sufficient profile
- the axis of the pedals was fairly loose

On the good side, the gears worked reliably and helmets were with face protection (not sure if you'd call this full face helmet) - which you'll definitely need going medium speed downhill - also considering that two participants crashed at that day.

The first day restaurant served barely enough and almost cold food for lunch and dinner - and the first hostel had only cold showers (c'mon, it's not so difficult to install electric hot shower heads, right...?).

Finally, during the trip we found out that exactly the same trip was offered to other participants by other agencies for almost 20% less which I personally think is a huge difference for the work of an agency... Confronting the agency with that fact, the first employee promised to check with the manager whether or not there may be a refund. Since I was leaving late night the same day, this first employee promised to inform his colleague who was working there later on during the day so that this question doesn't get lost - and that I shall be informed later on. However, this second employee didn't know anything about this and wasn't eager to dig further into it - leaving me with the message "it is, what it is". And that is where my recommendation comes from: Rather not. I believe that there are cheaper offers for the same or even better quality of services (mainly bikes but also food, maybe even hostels), so better shop around downtown and compare. The same feedback has been shared with the agency directly, hope it is helpful.

Date of experience: December 2015
1  Thank Deejay4000
Reviewed October 10, 2015

My brother and I went to Machu Picchu with Southern Peru Explorers on the Inka Jungle Trek, for an incredible, memorable experience that was organized, safe and so much fun. From the high adrenaline biking, to zip lining or flying over a river in a cable car, I always felt safe and secure due to their experience and the knowledge of our tour guide, Ronny. He was extremely accommodating and knowledgeable of the historic sites themselves, always willing to answer questions. The food was great and they had terrific vegetarian options available! I would recommend this tour company to everyone.

Date of experience: September 2015